ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overclocking not supported for AM4 APUs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendanw36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overclocking not supported for AM4 APUs
    Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 9:14am
I have the AB350 Pro4 and an A8-9600, but in the BIOS I have no options to overclock my unlocked processor on a motherboard that supports overclocking.  I am on the latest BIOS version and I believe that someone made a mistake and now I am left with no overclocking support.  I have no idea if the engineering team will ever fix this and I am really disappointed in this board.  Really feel that this just got forgotten and will never be fixed.  Do I have any hope of this getting fixed?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by brendanw36 brendanw36 wrote:

I have the AB350 Pro4 and an A8-9600, but in the BIOS I have no options to overclock my unlocked processor on a motherboard that supports overclocking.  I am on the latest BIOS version and I believe that someone made a mistake and now I am left with no overclocking support.  I have no idea if the engineering team will ever fix this and I am really disappointed in this board.  Really feel that this just got forgotten and will never be fixed.  Do I have any hope of this getting fixed?

I have a feeling the dirty little secret is, the current versions of the AGESA CPU microcode don't allow over clocking of the APU processors.

The same problem with over clocking occurs with the AM4 Athlon X4 processors.

The new, upcoming AGESA 1.7.0.0 update, that to paraphrase, includes a major rework of the microcode to allow support for new processors, may just fix this.

Don't expect anyone to say anything official about this, IF it is actually the case. But it is very hard for me to believe the lack of OC support for these processors is simply an oversight, or just being ignored.

WaterOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaterOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 4:02pm
https://imgur.com/a/6G0IO

Ask support. They will give u AGESA 1.6c.
I was have same problem with my athlon 950.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6228&title=how-i-can-overclock-athlon-950-with-ab350m-pro4
After changing BIos to 1.6c all ok

rokas2017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokas2017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 1:29am

Thank you very much for this info.

I hope the new bios will solve my problem, too. I have an  a8-9600 on the same mobo and was very surprised and disappointed that no OC options were available in the tweaks menu. I have already contacted the support  and am waiting for an answer. I do not want to change the board for asus which could be seen on a youtube video to overclock the a8 to 4.1Ghz.
rokas2017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokas2017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 5:01am
Well, ASRock Support did send me a new BIOS - 3.10c (thank you) - now I got the OC menu with some new options to OC the CPU and RAM - but - I haven't succeeded to OC this APU yet. No matter what I do, the frequency always stays the same. 

I use the x264 stress test and the default max turbo clocks do not move. It always maxes @ 3400Mhz.

I tried 3500 @ 1,25V;  3800@ 1,35 - nothing happens. The machine boots, but cpu-Z always reports the default max clocks are being used, not the desired OCed ones...

Please, Is there anyone that has succeeded with OC? If yes, how, with what settings? thank you in advance.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 5:51am
By the sound of it the AGESA code isn't fully compatible with OCing APUs/Athlons. I am sure it will get sorted (by AMD) in an upcoming AGESA update. It may take a while however, I doubt the "budget" CPUs in their lineup will be much of a priority. 

It will get fixed so I wouldn't worry about it. If you could, please forward your results with the BIOS ASRock sent you to tech support. Any additional information you provide will help them work out a fix/workaround. Until an AGESA version is released with proper support, anything ASRock does to resolve the issue will likely be a workaround/hack but it may be enough to give you overclocking. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic