ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Taichi can`t build riad 0

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AARON Chang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Taichi can`t build riad 0
    Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 10:31pm
Hi,I`m an Asrock new user from China,my english is very poor,please forgive
My problem is:I have two new Intel Optane 900p SSD 280G,I want to build a raid 0 array.Then,I follow the Raid installation guide,first enter bios and set the sata mode to raid,save and reboot.Then I enter the AMD PBS to enable the nvme raid, save and reboot.At the moment,the trouble happened.After reboot,the system halted at the logo screen,the debug code is 92,about 5-10s,the code change to A0,after very long time(about 5 minutes),system enter to the bios.Go to the ?�RAIDXpert2 Configuration Utility->Array Management,the 3 options are all unavailable and there have nothing about the information of ssd.In addition,my mother board have another some problems.
1.Even if I disable the south bridge sata controllers in bios(both Advanced->Storage Configuration and AMD CBS->SATA),Into Windows,the sata controller still appear in the device management.
2.If I install the amd south bridge sata driver,the system will crash,halted on the windows logo or the circle spining don`t stop,almost after 10 minutes,can into windows.
My configuration is:
1950X at 3.8G 1.375V,X399 Taichi(Bios Ver 1.70),Corsair dominator 3200 16GBx4 at 2800Mhz.XFX Vega 64 LCx2 CFX in PCIE1 & PCIE4,Intel Optane 900p 280G SSD x2 in PCIE2 & PCIE 5,intel 750 1.2T in M.2_3
Please help me

Edited by AARON Chang - 01 Nov 2017 at 11:51pm
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 12:44am
I am trying to Install Windows under RAID mode and getting problems too, but with a different drive configuration, so I cannot help with the NVMe setup. It does appear you are following the correct steps. 

My suggestion would be to test installing in SATA mode, and if possible to test in RAID mode with another SSD.

I suspect the RAID mode implementation in this chip set is very bad, because others are having different types of problems with RAID.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 3:52am
AARON Chang,  please look at this thread.  One of the users is trying to use Optane drives (M.2):

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6152&PN=5&title=asrock-x399-taichi-m2-nvme-ssd-raid

To start with I would ask you please to open your BIOS and hit F9 (Load UEFI Defaults), then F10 (Save and Exit).  I think we need to eliminate any Over Clock problems.  I suggest you post your specifications in your signature as I have and please include your power supply and W10 version (1703 or 1709, I hope).  Are you trying to  create a bootable RAID?  I do not understand the drivers you are talking about.  Please post a link to where you are DLing them.  You should only need the so called Floppy drivers (9.00.00.088).  Do you mean PBS setting in BIOS not CBS.  I will look at CBS after I post this.  Here is a link for Debug Codes: http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=16017
Your codes look like progress codes.
Thanks and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
AARON Chang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AARON Chang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 8:48am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

[URL=][/URL]AARON Chang,? please look at this thread.? One of the users is trying to use Optane drives (M.2):

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6152&PN=5&title=asrock-x399-taichi-m2-nvme-ssd-raid

To start with I would ask you please to open your BIOS and hit F9 (Load UEFI Defaults), then F10 (Save and Exit).? I think we need to eliminate any Over Clock problems.? I suggest you post your specifications in your signature as I have and please include your power supply and W10 version (1703 or 1709, I hope).? Are you trying to? create a bootable RAID?? I do not understand the drivers you are talking about.? Please post a link to where you are DLing them.? You should only need the so called Floppy drivers (9.00.00.088).? Do you mean PBS setting in BIOS not CBS.? I will look at CBS after I post this.? Here is a link for Debug Codes: http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=16017
Your codes look like progress codes.
Thanks and enjoy, John.

Dear Mister,thanks for your reply
May there are something i do not describe clearly,i explain carefully.
1.I have try to create the array in none oc state(all bios setting is uefi default),but the resault is the same.
2.My power supply is the corsair AX1200i,and the win10 version is the professional version Ver.16299.19(1709).
3.No matter I try to create a bootable raid or create a raid array with ?�RAIDXpert2 Configuration Utility in windows,the problem is:only if I go to Advanced->AMD PBS and set ?�NVMe RAID mode??to <Enabled >,after reboot,the system will halted at the logo screen,at the moment,the Dr.Debug on mother board first shows Code 92,after about 10 seconds,it changes to A0.
Then after about 5 minutes,the system auto enter the bios setup.Then go to Advanced->RAIDXpert2 Configuration Utility->Array Management,the all 3 options are unavailability(gray).Then go to Advanced->RAIDXpert2 Configuration Utility->Physical disk management,convert to legacy disk tells me there are no raid disks in the system, initialize disk it tells me there are no legacy disks available to create a raid disk.
4.In the situation without creating a raid array,because of My all ssds are nvme ssds,so I want to disable the SATA controller which is on the X399 chipset.But even if I both go to Advanced->Storage Configuration and set the SATA Controller to disable and go to the Advanced\AMD CBS\SATA Configuration Options and disable the SATA Controller,there are still 3 SATA Controllers appearing in the windows device management.Since it could not disable the X399 south bridge SATA Controllers,so I try to install the X399 SATA Controller Driver from AMD.Then I DL the driver from https://www2.ati.com/drivers/ryzen_threadripper_nvme_raid.exe
When I install this driver,i find that comparing to another driver https://www2.ati.com/drivers/amd-chipset-drivers.exe
it adds 3 parts,a nvme raid driver,a sata raid driver and RAIDXpert2 Configuration Utility in windows.If I check the AMD X399 SATA raid driver to install,the system will crash.The symptom is the system down and lost response.Then I reset the system,it will halted at the windows start up(the circle stop spin and lost response)

Edited by AARON Chang - 02 Nov 2017 at 8:54am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 9:29am
Thanks AARON Chang.  I am really confused now.  You should not need to DL or install any drivers but the ones normally required for your board.  Get the Chip Set drivers here:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
Get the RAID drivers here:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X399%20Taichi/index.asp#osW1064
The links you posted do not work - they just say "Download Not Complete".  You can test your links in the Preview window.
I looked at the RAID drivers from ASRock page and the AMD drivers from here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/NVMe-RAID-Support-for-the-AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-platform.aspx and discovered that they are different.  I will ask AMD about this, but you should be using the ASRock drivers I pointed to above and the RAID Installation Guide here (English and two Chinese):  http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X399%20Taichi/index.asp#Manual
I recommend you do a fresh install of W10 (I assume yours is x64 - must be) so you can make sure that your system is running well.  I would do no overclocking and run Prime95 for a couple of hours.  Please determine what configuration you want to try and tell me in detail what drives and what RAID(s).  To make a bootable RAID, it must be created in BIOS with RAIDXpert2.  A non-bootable RAID may be created in the Windows version of RAIDXpert2.  It is really stupid that they named both the same - very confusing.  I will keep thinking and do some testing this weekend, but right now I am going to bed and will respond in my morning (about 14 hour from now).  Enjoy, John.

Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 2:57am
AARON Chang, please look at this post from Franz01234 concerning using Optane SSDs in a RAID.  The post is toward the end of the thread.  According to ASRock and AMD support, Optane SSDs cannot be used to create a RAID. 

Wish the news was better.  Good luck, John.
AARON Chang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AARON Chang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

[URL=][/URL]AARON Chang, please look at this post from Franz01234 concerning using Optane SSDs in a RAID.? The post is toward the end of the thread.? According to ASRock and AMD support, Optane SSDs cannot be used to create a RAID.?

Wish the news was better.? Good luck, John.

Dear MisterJ,you are right.Yesterday,I have rebuilt an Intel X299 platform to replace the X399 and success to build the optane bootable raid 0 array.In the bios of Gigabyte X299 Aorus gaming 7,I can create the VROC Array easily.But when I begin to install the win10,I suddenly realize that Gigabyte do not support the VROC F6 Driver to download unexpectedly.And in the website of intel,it is the same.Dammit intel...And at last,I find this driver in the website of Asrock.Great Asrock,haha..... In any case,thank you very much for your help,John.May Thy God watch over you.

Edited by AARON Chang - 05 Nov 2017 at 3:51pm
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 1:22am
Thanks AARON Chang, GREAT performance.  I am sorry you had to go to the DARK side, but it is Intel's choice not to allow Optane to run RAID mode on non-Intel platforms.  You are very welcome.  Thanks and enjoy, John.
jamesjhhan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesjhhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 4:10pm
Have you gotten the Optane 900p to work in non-RAID mode on the X399 Taichi motherboard?  I cannot get the bios to recognize it at all and wondering if you were able to do so.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 12:06am
AARON Chang, as I understand it Intel detects that the Optane is not running on an Intel board, so it will not work.  I suggest you contact Intel and raise a stink.  Enjoy, John.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic