ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some information on RAIDXpert2 x399 W10.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some information on RAIDXpert2 x399 W10.
    Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 7:29am
To get some relaxation today, I played a little with the Windows version of RAIDXpert2 (RX2).  datonyb posted the link of a video on RX2 which is useful: 
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6486&KW=raid&PID=38819&title=x399-short-video-maybe-helps-the-raid-setup#38819
It pointed out that the RAID drivers were needed to even Login to RX2.  I did this by DLing the drivers file from the ASRock DL page and extracting it.  I then opened the RS2x64 folder, right clicked each of three .inf files and selected Install.  I think this is easier and quicker than what the video outlines.  I was using Default UEFI Settings, so I still could not Login.  Setting SATA mode to RAID allowed Login and displayed the one existing SATA HD.  Setting NVMe Raid Mode to Enabled did not allow me to see any of the three NVMe SSDs.  Creating a RAID (Volume) on the one unused SSDs (after Delete Array) did not help.  I have used RAIDXpert with past AMD RAIDs with good luck.  It allows creating and deleting arrays, viewing status and seeing logs of errors.  If anyone is inclined to try this, please let me hear if you can see your NVMe devices.  Thanks and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 4:05am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

To get some relaxation today, I played a little with the Windows version of RAIDXpert2 (RX2).  datonyb posted the link of a video on RX2 which is useful: 
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6486&KW=raid&PID=38819&title=x399-short-video-maybe-helps-the-raid-setup#38819
It pointed out that the RAID drivers were needed to even Login to RX2.  I did this by DLing the drivers file from the ASRock DL page and extracting it.  I then opened the RS2x64 folder, right clicked each of three .inf files and selected Install.  I think this is easier and quicker than what the video outlines.  I was using Default UEFI Settings, so I still could not Login.  Setting SATA mode to RAID allowed Login and displayed the one existing SATA HD.  Setting NVMe Raid Mode to Enabled did not allow me to see any of the three NVMe SSDs.  Creating a RAID (Volume) on the one unused SSDs (after Delete Array) did not help.  I have used RAIDXpert with past AMD RAIDs with good luck.  It allows creating and deleting arrays, viewing status and seeing logs of errors.  If anyone is inclined to try this, please let me hear if you can see your NVMe devices.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

Hey MisterJ, I'm curious. From reading your post, I get the feeling your Windows build was in SATA mode, and then you set to RAID mode in UEFI? This raises questions. Is your windows install on ONE single drive? When you switched to RAID mode in UEFI, how were you able to boot into Windows? When I do this, I get a missing boot OS message at Bootstrap time. Switching back to SATA mode, I can boot again.

http://support.amd.com/TechDocs/53987_RAIDXpert2_User_Guide.pdf

Just posting the link to the user guide for reference.

Edited by daddyo - 07 Nov 2017 at 4:06am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 4:37am
Thanks, daddyo.  The first time I tried to create a RAID0, I was successful with two of my three NVMe SSDs.  The SSDs are always in PCIe mode since all three are plugged into M.2 sockets.  I have only one SATA drive - a 1TB WD Black for backup.  In order to create a RAID, each drive must be erased (Delete Array against each), then the RAID is created.  A 10 MB Unallocated area is created at the end of the drive.  On my first RAID0 I installed W10 on the array.  Seemed to go OK except at each point a Restart was needed, the system hung, requiring a Reset button push to get going.  Even a Restart from W10 required a Reset.  I deleted the array and have been unable to create one that works since.
Your post pointed out to me that RAID0 worked once although not in a usable way.  Yesterday I re-flashed my BIOS to 1.70 and still failed.  Apparently the RAID code has some memory that Clear CMOS F9 and even re-flash cannot clear.  I still need to try removing my battery (as parsec suggested) and try Clear CMOS again.  I opened an ASRock ticket yesterday and just got a response - need to read and respond.  Thanks for making me think!  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 6:35am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

Thanks, daddyo.  The first time I tried to create a RAID0, I was successful with two of my three NVMe SSDs.  The SSDs are always in PCIe mode since all three are plugged into M.2 sockets.  I have only one SATA drive - a 1TB WD Black for backup.  In order to create a RAID, each drive must be erased (Delete Array against each), then the RAID is created.  A 10 MB Unallocated area is created at the end of the drive.  On my first RAID0 I installed W10 on the array.  Seemed to go OK except at each point a Restart was needed, the system hung, requiring a Reset button push to get going.  Even a Restart from W10 required a Reset.  I deleted the array and have been unable to create one that works since.
Your post pointed out to me that RAID0 worked once although not in a usable way.  Yesterday I re-flashed my BIOS to 1.70 and still failed.  Apparently the RAID code has some memory that Clear CMOS F9 and even re-flash cannot clear.  I still need to try removing my battery (as parsec suggested) and try Clear CMOS again.  I opened an ASRock ticket yesterday and just got a response - need to read and respond.  Thanks for making me think!  Enjoy, John.

HAHA, You're welcome.

One thing I never attempted, on pg 42 of the manual, link posted above, is to ensure that INT13 boot support was enabled. 
At any rate, I read the entire manual, and nowhere does it specify that you can install Windows on a single drive, and then configure RAID arrays using other drives. It only makes mention of BOOTABLE RAID array drives. So my case is probably going nowhere. Perhaps the manual could be improved by adding specific configuration examples. It's NOT unusual to have your OS on a drive separate from your RAID.

Good luck
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic