ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi and thanks for having me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnsback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi and thanks for having me
    Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 2:57pm
Hi everyone, ive joined the forum to see if any knowledgeable people on here can help me sort out my custom built desktop. Ok, so here is my specs

Asrock FX990 Extreme 9
AMD FX-9590
Windows 10 pro 64-bit
16gb hyper-x ram
Corsair liquid cooled
PSU is (i think) 850watt but is about 10 years old, in that 10 years tho has had very little or nearly no use, probably less than 100 hrs

So here we go, ill try to explain everything the best i can but please excuse me as i'm not very good with the lingo lol.
I built the desktop with parts i had lying around and some newer stuff that i bought, the mobo has no onboard graphics so i installed on old 512 nvidia 8600 gt to get me bye, i then bought and installed a 2gb (gigabyte) nvidia geforce gt 710 ddr5 (the one with the fan) which i've had to remove, when its installed the ethernet connection drops out every 5-10 mins, i then have to go to device manager, update driver, let me choose, double click the only option available - intel(r) 82583v gigabyte network controller and the network reconnects for 5-10 mins, i've tried a wireless card but this does the same thing, with the old graphics card in it can run for days with out the internet dropping out but it does still happen now and then, ive upgraded the bios to the latest 1.8 from the asrock website but this hasn't helped, also im getting an error with my usb 3.0 ports - Etron usb3.0 extensible host controller - 1.0(microsoft) code 24, i get this error twice so will probably be one for each controller, when i try to update the drivers i get an error saying there was a problem and the drivers couldn't be updated, and the final problem i get is sometimes the pc just becomes unresponsive, the hdd light does nothing and the keyboard and mouse wont work so i have to do a manual restart. The hdd is a 1TB straight out of a ps4 pro which i upgraded when new, i did a full format and a clean install.
I dont use the pc for gaming and its never been overclocked.
Any help much appreciated, thanks, John.
Nightbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 8:01pm
Hi,
Can you try a different PSU (more recent) ?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 9:01pm
ok some questions
firstly you removed the fan from the gpu...what have you done to amend the lack of cooling issue after ? does it have a passive radiator now ? do you have a large case with front and rear fans to draw air over this ? do you monitor what temp the gpu is now running

secondly  hyperx ram ...........'ask me how i know about these playing up with amd'  on my other system (am3) these will NOT plug an play the bios and jedec settings dont NOT LIKE each other
my model is the 1833mhz ddr3 hyperx and its settings for stock plug and play cause random crashes,system freezes,artifacting etc etc does this sound familier ? to cure this i had to manually set the sub timings of the dram settings in bios just to get them to run at thier 'safe minimum jedec speed'
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
johnsback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnsback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 9:17pm
thanks for the replies, @nightbird i dont have another psu to try atm, @datonyb i haven't removed the fan from the gc, i removed the gc and put the old one back in so i can get internet access, my ram is at 1600mhz.
Both g cards i have are nvidia but the moment i put the gt710 in and boot up i have no internet or usb3, so im guessing its a hardware/software conflict, i've tried installing all the latest drivers but nothing seems to make a difference
johnsback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnsback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 2:10pm
A quick update, i borrowed a friends graphics card which is also a 2gb nvidia card and that works fine with my setup, my gt710 runs fine is his system so must be a hardware conflict but we've just swapped cards so problem sorted, thanks for the replies.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic