ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Windows 7 Install Freeze on X370 Killer SLI/Ryzen
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 7 Install Freeze on X370 Killer SLI/Ryzen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redraven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 7 Install Freeze on X370 Killer SLI/Ryzen
    Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 3:19am
Hi all -
I am trying to install Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on my new system using a retail DVD copy of Windows 7. However, when attempting to boot from DVD, the system freezes, requiring a reboot. (This seems to be a common issue with my motherboard/chip combination. Most people freeze at or after the "loading files" part of the install, but I don't even get that far. As soon as the system starts reading the DVD, it just freezes on a black screen with a single little cursor line in the middle.) The DVD is a brand new retail copy - bought it a few years ago, but never updated my old system with it, so I just opened it today. It will run from within Windows 10. (My system was supposed to come with a formatted HDD only, but my system builder apparently left their test copy of Windows 10 on there after setting everything up.) So, the Windows 7 DVD and DVD drive seem to be working and okay. However, I want to do a clean install with new partitions, etc. For that I need to boot from DVD.

I have read about Installing Windows 7 on AMD AM4 chipsets under the ASRock support information for myASRock x370 Killer SLI motherboard as detailed at this link.http://www.asrock.com/microsite/Win7Install/index.html   

The support information states that "IntelĀ® N3000 Series SoC, 100 / 200 Series and AMD AM4 chipset has removed their support for the Enhanced Host Controller Interface, so you might find it difficult to install windows7 operation system Since the USB ports won't work.
Please refer to the Web page from following to install Windows7 on AM4 platform mothebroards."

The support information that follows, and numerous websites, seem to indicate this freeze is a USB issue, and that I shouldn't have problems if I use a PS/2 mouse and keyboard, along with an optical drive. However, I swapped out for a PS/s mouse and keyboard and am still encountering the same freeze.

ASRock support also talks about enabling PS/2 Simulator under BIOS\Advanced\USB Configuration if you're using any USB devices. I figured maybe it would help, even though I'm using PS/2 devices. Many people seem to need to put their BIOS in some type of legacy mode to get Windows 7 to install. However, I cannot try this as my version of the BIOS does not have the PS/2 Simulator mode available. In fact there are no USB Configuration options in my BIOS\Advanced tab at all. I guess my system builder updated the BIOS and lost the version that had that option or more recently produced boards come with the newer BIOS version. Ugh! And there doesn't seem to be any way to rollback the BIOS as ASRock doesn't post older versions online.

Any thoughts on getting this to work? ASRock support does have a "Win 7 USB Patcher" that allows installation from USB (see the "With a USB drive and any kind of mouse or keyboard" option at the support link above. But I'm highly confused about the whole thing. I don't understand anything about making bootable USBs from .iso files and then patching them. That all seems pretty ridiculous since I have a perfectly fine DVD right here! And I'm using the PS/2 mouse and keyboard. So... no idea why it's still freezing.

My system specs:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600x 3.6
MOTHERBOARD - ASRock X370 Killer SLI AM4 ATX
HDD - 500 GB WD Blue SSD 2.5" SATAIII
RAM - 8 GB DDR4-2400
DVD - LG 24x DVDRW
POWER - Corsair CX650M 80 Plus 650W
VIDEO - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB
MONITOR - LG 24" 24MC57HQ-P IPS Widescreen Gaming Monitor
MOUSE - currently Logitech PS/2, but will eventually use a wireless USB mouse
KEYBOARD - currently Logitech PS/2, but will eventually use a USB keyboard.

I really want to go with Windows 7 - it's the oldest system allowed for a couple of my games. However I also have games that won't run under 7, so I was hoping to dual-boot Windows 7 and XP. However, it looks like my hardware is making that all but impossible. I don't want to run Windows 10, but will if I absolutely have to. However, I'm worried that booting from the Windows 10 DVD will lock my system the same as Windows 7 is and don't want to buy it and have it not work. Also, it's somewhat hard to even find Windows 10 on DVD... I'd have to order it. All I can find locally without running 1000 places is Windows 10 on USB. But if my system spazzes about USB due to this new type of BIOS then it seems like that won't work either.

Any ideas? Please give me the "For Dummies" version. Hardware technology has changed a bit from my last systems. My system that just died was almost 10 years old, but still mostly capable of meeting my needs because it was built to last, so I haven't had to deal with any new tech in a while. I'm totally lost on EHCI and UEFI and .iso files and USBs. I'm used to just installing XP from CDs! (I had XP on my secondary PC, Vista on my Primary PC, and I have Win7 on my laptop.)

Thanks much - RR

Edit: If I have to go with Windows 10... I finally located ASRock's Windows 10 info and I see there are various drivers and BIOS updates here for my board. (http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370%20Killer%20SLI/index.asp#Support, hit "Download" and select Windows 10 64 bit in the dropdown to see what's there). Would anything there be needed to make an install work, and if so, how? I know how to install drivers on a running OS, but not during installation, and not sure how to update BIOS. The internal BIOS updater gives me an internet connection error for some reason, though I'm connected fine. So it's all a bunch of USB junk again. Aaargh!

Edited by redraven - 06 Nov 2017 at 3:41am
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 4:35am
calm down dearest Wink

right heres the deal
windows 7 is just about possible (but really not advised)
BUT TO DO THIS  you have to burn and create a new disc image and into that new disc image you have to insert the patcher files

basically you need to update windows 7 to have data to work with ryzen and later usb (its simple for techie guys ,not so simple  for non 'practising-old school guys'
there are a few youtube walkthrough guides

next point .... im sorry to say old chap its 2017 we dont use them old fashioned plastic discs thingies anymore (dvd/cd's are antique)   .tounge in cheek humour here im a few months off 50 yrs myselfCool

so either way your going to need a 8gb usb flash drive

now heres some good news
you can still until december the 31st obtain legally a nice flash brand spanking new version of windows 10 AND ........... (drum roll please) you can enter your brand spanking new dvd windows7 leicence  to activate it Clap

and its dam stupid easy level to do so

you go directly to windows website
use the media creation tool from windows shove that sparkly new usb new fangled thing in your pc hit enter and it makes the dam thing for you

take it shove it right in ryzens usb butthole and hit the power button

now heres two webpages to read/watch
first news about how to get windows 10 FREE
https://hexus.net/tech/news/software/111746-microsoft-assistive-technology-win10-upgrades-cease-31-dec/

second my dear old bumbling mate pauls hardware to tell you step by step how to shove windows 10 usb right up ya ryzen Big smile
13 mins ish into the video step by step how to install windows on uefi and a usb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbpqkiaO7q4

Edited by datonyb - 07 Nov 2017 at 4:35am
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
jdillipl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jdillipl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 9:29am
There is no reason you should not be able to install Windows 7 on your build.  However, you may need to set your OC after Windows is installed.  I did this, with the same system board and the Ryzen 7 1700 processor, for both me and my wife.  I suggest you first reset the UEFI BIOS back to defaults, then use the CMOS reset jumper in accordance with the instructions booklet, and when you go to install Windows, ensure nothing is plugged in any USB port.  FYI, I used Windows 7 Ultimate install media, non-SP1, on both my wife's and my computers.  Also, you will face a large number of updates.

Jake
Asrock X370 Killer SLI/ac, Amd Ryzen 7 1700, GSkill FlareX F4-2400C16D-32GFX, RaidMax Thunder V2 735W PS
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 12:46pm
Since you are booting the Windows 7 installer from an optical disk/DVD drive, you may need to select the correct entry in the boot order, from multiple entries.

With the Windows 7 disk in the optical drive, go into the UEFI/BIOS UI, select the Advanced UEFI if you are still in EZ mode, or if you can see the boot order on the EZ mode screen, just use that.

If the entry for the DVD drive at the top of the list is "UEFI: <DVD drive name>", that won't work with Windows 7. You should have an entry that is "AHCI: <DVD drive name>", which is what you need to use for Windows 7.

I have the same board as you, and have never had a freezing problem when installing Windows. But I don't use Windows 7, mainly because it is not an officially supported OS for Ryzen PCs, and does not support UEFI booting without modifications. You're not using an NVMe SSD, so don't need UEFI booting.

I don't know why you have the idea that freezing is a common issue with your board and CPU. It could be freezing for the reason I described above, the now common UEFI type OS installation which is not supported on an unmodified Windows 7 installation source. That's a Microsoft bug, the UEFI files are included in Windows 7 but in the wrong location.

Does the PC freeze if you run the PC in the UEFI UI for a long period of time? If it does, that is a build or configuration problem that should be fixed by your system builder.

The need to modify the Windows 7 installation media for use on a Ryzen PC (and the latest three Intel platforms) if you want to use USB input devices may be ridiculous, but it is a reality. Only USB 3.0 drivers are used by the new hardware, even for the USB 2.0 ports. Windows 7 does not have a built in USB 3.0 driver, which combined with the hardware situation is the cause of the problem. Windows 7 has problems with other new hardware too, and is being left behind.

Believe me, you do not want an older UEFI/BIOS version. Ryzen was released long before AMD had completed the code they provide as part of the UEFI/BIOS, and are still working on it currently. We have no idea what UEFI version you have now.

You cannot find Windows 10 on an optical disk? That's all that is available in my area, near the third largest city in the USA. I buy Windows 10 optical disks simply for the license key, which I use when I install it from an ISO download from Microsoft, copied to a USB flash drive.
redraven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redraven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:58pm
Hi all. Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delayed response; been sick and busy for a couple days. 

Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

right heres the deal 
windows 7 is just about possible (but really not advised)
BUT TO DO THIS  you have to burn and create a new disc image and into that new disc image you have to insert the patcher files.........

basically you need to update windows 7 to have data to work with ryzen and later usb......... 

next point .... im sorry to say old chap its 2017 we dont use them old fashioned plastic discs thingies anymore (dvd/cd's are antique)   .tounge in cheek humour here im a few months off 50 yrs myselfCool

so either way your going to need a 8gb usb flash drive

now heres some good news 
you can still until december the 31st obtain legally a nice flash brand spanking new version of windows 10 AND ........... (drum roll please) you can enter your brand spanking new dvd windows7 leicence  to activate it Clap

and its dam stupid easy level to do so

you go directly to windows website
use the media creation tool from windows shove that sparkly new usb new fangled thing in your pc hit enter and it makes the dam thing for you

Not entirely the info I needed, but did make me laugh. Big smile You have a way with words, my friend. Lol.

I was ranting about USBs because I was thinking all the ones I had on-hand were quite small, and I'm really ill, so it's difficult to pop to the store, plus more spending on a system that should work in the first place. However, I found all my USB sticks and it turned out I had an 8 GB and 2 16 GB. So that's okay. 

ASRock's support for my board/chip claims you shouldn't need to patch, unless you're installing from USB or using a USB mouse and/or keyboard. They say the install should work normally if you use an optical drive and PS/2 input devices, which is what I was doing. I called them and they said my disc must be bad. I know my disc is fine, but figured I'd try an alternative way of installing, anyway. So, I went ahead and dowloaded the Windows 7 .iso and then tried using ASRock's Windows 7 USB patcher to put a patched version on USB. I tried both the main release and the beta. Both get to "unpacking files from .iso" and just sit there forever. The progress dots still move, but they don't finish doing anything. I gave each one about 45 minutes. I called them again and they said "Yeah, they work for some people and not others." Now that makes no sense whatsoever.; everyone is dealing with the same .iso file and the same patcher, so it should work for everyone. It's not like a patcher can decide it just doesn't like you personally or something! Could be it only likes certain types of USB sticks or something, but they didn't give me any info on that. I tried it several ways with my USBs formatted FAT32, NTFS, etc. before running the patcher. They don't seem to have the patch(es) available outside their broken patcher, so... patching is problematic.

As far as CDs/DVDs being dinosaurs and all... *shrug* I already have them, I already paid for them, and they work. I don't feel like there's a reason I should re-purchase software I already have. Sure, for Windows 7 specifically, it wasn't a repurchase, since I could use my product key to get the .iso, but I also run a lot of old-school games and software. No reason for me to buy them again, and I don't do illegal downloads, for both ethical and safety reasons. Also, you never know when a file online will be gone or changed, but discs are forever unless you physically damage them.

Anyway, I wanted to get my system running somehow while I keep working on this, so I could make sure my hardware was working right and so forth. So, I went ahead and DL'd Windows 10 and installed it from USB fine. However, I *hate* Windows 10; it's pretty much malware. So, I also installed Linux Ubuntu. Didn't like that particular Linux distro, but I'm going to give Mint a try; the GUI is a bit more to my liking. If I can get everything to run in Linux that I need, I may switch OS's. However, I'd rather not learn a new OS, etc. I'd rather stick with Windows 7... so....

Originally posted by jdillipl jdillipl wrote:

There is no reason you should not be able to install Windows 7 on your build.  However, you may need to set your OC after Windows is installed.  I did this, with the same system board and the Ryzen 7 1700 processor, for both me and my wife.  I suggest you first reset the UEFI BIOS back to defaults, then use the CMOS reset jumper in accordance with the instructions booklet, and when you go to install Windows, ensure nothing is plugged in any USB port.  FYI, I used Windows 7 Ultimate install media, non-SP1, on both my wife's and my computers.  Also, you will face a large number of updates.

Jake

Cool, thank you. I know others have gotten it to work, but I didn't understand half of what people were talking about in threads discussing how they did so. Thank you for using plain language. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to go about resetting the BIOS back to defaults or resetting CMOS. Additional information on doing so would be helpful. 

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Since you are booting the Windows 7 installer from an optical disk/DVD drive, you may need to select the correct entry in the boot order, from multiple entries......

If the entry for the DVD drive at the top of the list is "UEFI: <DVD drive name>", that won't work with Windows 7. You should have an entry that is "AHCI: <DVD drive name>", which is what you need to use for Windows 7.

I have the same board as you, and have never had a freezing problem when installing Windows. But I don't use Windows 7, mainly because it is not an officially supported OS for Ryzen PCs, and does not support UEFI booting without modifications. You're not using an NVMe SSD, so don't need UEFI booting. 

I don't know why you have the idea that freezing is a common issue with your board and CPU. It could be freezing for the reason I described above, the now common UEFI type OS installation which is not supported on an unmodified Windows 7 installation source. That's a Microsoft bug, the UEFI files are included in Windows 7 but in the wrong location.

Does the PC freeze if you run the PC in the UEFI UI for a long period of time? If it does, that is a build or configuration problem that should be fixed by your system builder.

The need to modify the Windows 7 installation media for use on a Ryzen PC (and the latest three Intel platforms) if you want to use USB input devices may be ridiculous, but it is a reality. Only USB 3.0 drivers are used by the new hardware, even for the USB 2.0 ports. Windows 7 does not have a built in USB 3.0 driver, which combined with the hardware situation is the cause of the problem. Windows 7 has problems with other new hardware too, and is being left behind.

Believe me, you do not want an older UEFI/BIOS version. Ryzen was released long before AMD had completed the code they provide as part of the UEFI/BIOS, and are still working on it currently. We have no idea what UEFI version you have now.

You cannot find Windows 10 on an optical disk? That's all that is available in my area, near the third largest city in the USA. I buy Windows 10 optical disks simply for the license key, which I use when I install it from an ISO download from Microsoft, copied to a USB flash drive.

Thank you for the nice specific reply. Yes, my boot order was okay, and I also tried going to the DVD manually from the boot menu, so that's not the issue. I think you have probably hit the nail on the head with the AHCI thing, though. Unfortunately, I don't have any listings for AHCI, they're all UEFI and SATA:

UEFI - Built-In EFI Shell
SATA3_1 - WDC WDS500G1B0A... (SSD)
SATA3_2 - HL-DT-ST DVDRAM... (DVD)
UEFI : IP4 Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Comm.
UEFI : IP6 Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Comm.
Windows Boot Manager (SATA3_1 WDC WDS500G1B0A...)
Disabled

Is there some way to change my DVD drive to AHCI? 

I'm not really clear on what UEFI even means, to be honest, so I'm unsure what you mean by UEFI booting. There's definitely something wonky with the booting, though. When I turned on the computer now, I went to put my boot order back with my SSD as first boot device, since I have Windows 10 running temporarily. And it does the same freeze to black screen with little cursor line. I have to go through Windows Boot Manager to boot into my OS. Now maybe this is normal with UEFI, but I've never seen such a thing before. Booting from your hard drive is normal, last I knew, but I could be out of date. 

System runs fine. Hardware seems okay. Other installs were okay. It's only with Windows 7 install that I'm having issues.

I said freezing on install was a common issue with my hardware because I looked it up and a lot of people seem to have problems, though it usually hangs at "loading files", not at the same spot I'm having trouble. Heh, a Microsoft "bug" that ma
redraven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redraven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 10:05pm
Oops... guess my post was too long. It got cut off. Lol.

Where was I?

Okay, so blahblah....

I guess basically I need info on resetting BIOS to defaults, resetting CMOS, and setting DVD to AHCI? Also, possibly patching my install for USB 3.0? I'm a bit confused there, though. ASRock support seems to indicate that the lack of USB support is only an issue during install, thus it being fine to install with an optical drive and PS/2 devices. They say you can swap in your USB stuff after you're done installing. Is that correct? Or is there a persistent issue with USB 3.0 support in Windows 7 after install is complete? If that's the case I need some way to patch without using the ASRock patcher, which isn't working for me. Are there generic USB 3.0 drivers somewhere or something? Or will my USB 3.0 ports just run as 2.0? I don't care if they're super-fast. And I'm okay with using PS/2 input devices if necessary. 

Sorry for the rambling and disorganized posts, here. I'm half asleep, but wanted to get back to you guys. 

Thanks for the help ya'll - RR
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 3:18am
the bios reset is simple

hit the delete key .....ok forget that you obviously can get into bios

ok when you usually exit bios the top choice is 'save and exit'

look in that list for 'reset bios defaults' or set optimum option

this clears any changes you have manually entered
then select save and exit top option

to clear the cmos most boards have a jumper marked 'clr cmos' ( beware it appears some now dont though) its in your manual
or plan b
unplug the power from the wall
and pop out the coin sized flat battery from the mianboard for 30+ secs
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
jdillipl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jdillipl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 5:05am
To follow on datonyb's previous post, when you get in to the UEFI (BIOS) interface, press the F9 key, and select the option about loading default settings.  Then press the F10 key and select the save and exit option.  As far as clearing the CMOS, in your quick installation guide, look at section 2.5 Jumpers Setup.

There is one more consideration for installing Windows 7 on the Ryzen (and Intel Kaby Lake and subsequent) platform.  Microsoft does not support it, and will by default block Windows Updates.  Just Google "Windows 7" "Ryzen".  There is a work around, which I am using, which has worked so far.

If you are not comfortable with this, then perhaps Windows 7 on Ryzen is not for you.
Asrock X370 Killer SLI/ac, Amd Ryzen 7 1700, GSkill FlareX F4-2400C16D-32GFX, RaidMax Thunder V2 735W PS
redraven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redraven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 2:58am
Hi again all - 

Thanks datonyb and jdillipl. Okay, I'm pretty clear on how to reset the BIOS and CMOS, but a couple questions on that. Will that totally fry my system config? I don't want to get myself into a situation where none of my drives or cards are detected as I'm not super-clear on how to set them all up again. Also, as far as I can tell, there aren't any BIOS (UEFI) settings that should be causing the problem. 

I *think* I found the right setting to make sure my DVD drive is running in AHCI mode, as parsec mentioned, and it looks like it already is. I was thinking maybe that was the issue, but the BIOS indicates my SATA devices are in AHCI mode, so I guess not.

I'm actually starting to think this isn't necessarily a Windows 7 issue. Multiple sources say that the only issue with Windows 7 install is a USB issue and that I should be fine with a PS/2 mouse and keyboard during setup. I'm using PS/2 and running into this freeze. 

However, what's interesting is that I run into that same freeze if I put any physical drive first in the boot order. The system will not boot from anything but Windows Boot Manager. If I put my SSD (with Windows 10 currently installed) as 1'st boot device, I get the same freeze. So, I'm guessing that I'd get the same freeze on my DVD drive even if there was a Windows 10 DVD in it. The system just won't boot from my physical drives. It will boot from USB - that's how I installed Windows 10 and Ubuntu, but obviously that's not a solution for Windows 7, since the ASRock patcher won't work for me. 

So, I guess I need to figure out how to get my physical drives to boot at all, and that will probably fix the Windows 7 issue. 

Originally posted by jdillipl jdillipl wrote:

There is one more consideration for installing Windows 7 on the Ryzen (and Intel Kaby Lake and subsequent) platform.  Microsoft does not support it, and will by default block Windows Updates.  Just Google "Windows 7" "Ryzen".  There is a work around, which I am using, which has worked so far.

https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

If you are not comfortable with this, then perhaps Windows 7 on Ryzen is not for you.

Thanks for that link. I was going to use the offline patcher, but if this works, that's easier. I love how Microsoft is supposed to be supporting Windows 7 until 2020 but won't give you updates. Great "support". 

Thanks again - RR 

Edit: Okay, these links seem relevant, but I don't totally understand them. Maybe you guys can help translate them into something in English and actionable. Smilehttp:///www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2700660/windows-install-ssd-system-boots-option-bios-windows-boot-manager-ssd.html 

It sounds like maybe the partitions are still funky from my system builder's install of Windows 10 or something?

Edited by redraven - 11 Nov 2017 at 3:14am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic