ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H110 Pro BTC+ Intel gpu issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M4129 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H110 Pro BTC+ Intel gpu issue
    Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 3:34am
I have 4 H110 PRO BTC+ motherboards. Im using for mining. Im running a linux based OS called PiMP. 
I was able to get 1 board to work. But for some reason these others will not disable the onboard intel gpu.  In the Bios I have changed the Onboard to PCIE,  From the gpu the dvi-d will not recogize the monitor until system fully starts. I can not get a bios screen with the monitor plugged into he GPU in slot 1.  Only way to get to the bios screen is through the onboard dvi or with gpu plugged into slot 4.

Why will the onboard not disable even after I have disabled it in the bios?

Any help would be appreciated. 

Edited by M4129 - 07 Nov 2017 at 4:51am
M4129
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 10:20am

Dear M4129,

Thank you for choosing ASRock.

Regarding your question, our BIOS default display is set at PCIE x16 slot when GPU is plugged.

We suggest following our mining system installation guide to set up your system.

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/BTC/H110%20Pro%20BTC+.pdf

Thank you!

Yours truly,

ASRock TSD

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 11:59am
Originally posted by M4129 M4129 wrote:

I have 4 H110 PRO BTC+ motherboards. Im using for mining. Im running a linux based OS called PiMP. 
I was able to get 1 board to work. But for some reason these others will not disable the onboard intel gpu.  In the Bios I have changed the Onboard to PCIE,  From the gpu the dvi-d will not recogize the monitor until system fully starts. I can not get a bios screen with the monitor plugged into he GPU in slot 1.  Only way to get to the bios screen is through the onboard dvi or with gpu plugged into slot 4.

Why will the onboard not disable even after I have disabled it in the bios?

Any help would be appreciated. 

Short answer, the iGPU is never completely disabled, the CPU does not allow it. Which monitor has the UEFI/BIOS display depends mainly upon the video output being used on a video source. When multiple video sources are being used, the UEFI display source is dependent on the output configuration, the video source initialization precedence, and things beyond our control.

There is no way to completely disable or turn off the Intel iGPU on any mother board. It will always be supplied voltage from the board to some degree. The only option to "disable" the iGPU is the IGPU Multi-Monitor option in the Chipset Configuration screen, set to Disabled. That option is disabled by default on non-mining boards, but might be different in your board.

Have you changed the Share Memory option in the Chipset Configuration screen?

When using multiple video sources/cards, including the iGPU, which source and monitor that is selected for the UEFI/BIOS display depends primarily upon which video output is being used, and also the video sources.

The precedence for the video outputs usually is, from first to last, DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI-D, DVI-I, and VGA. But the VBIOS of the video card can be different, if it doesn't have all these outputs, and if it is programmed differently.

The video source used for the UEFI can seem to be almost random, but it isn't. The PCIe slots are enumerated (initialized) during POST from the bottom up, meaning the card in the highest numbered PCIe slot has first priority. So the card in slot PCIE4 will have priority over the card in slot PCIE3, etc.

The iGPU should be enumerated before the PCIe slots during post, but what video source is used for the UEFI display depends upon the video cards being used and which outputs are used.

The monitor being used can also have its own precedence about which video input it prefers as the primary, but when using multiple monitors the difference is usually due to a different set of inputs.

Have you ever used a multiple monitor setup, two or three monitors, into one video card? What happens when you use the UEFI/BIOS UI? Is the UEFI display shown on all of the monitors? No, it is only shown on one monitor. For example, an EVGA 960 card I use follows the DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI-D, DVI-I output precedence. Is there any way to select a video source as the primary? You can do that with software in the OS, but not in the UEFI/BIOS. The primary selection in the OS does not affect the UEFI.

In order for all four boards to behave in the same way, they all must be connected to the same input type on a monitor, due to the precedence of the video outputs.

Also they all must have identical video cards, or at least the same video card in the same PCIe slots. Obviously both of those things is difficult if not impossible to do.

My point in all this is, it's all a configuration situation.

Your one board that works as you want it to must have a video card and output configuration that allows it to display the UEFI for some reason. In reality, unless you have not configured the IGPU Multi-Monitor option to disabled on all four board, the iGPU is active and available as a video source. I suppose it might be possible that different CPUs have different iGPUs that behave differently, but I don't know if that matters.

Since the iGPU is always active anyway, you might as well use it IMO. Otherwise there is something unique about the one "working" board, and all the others. I've described above why things behave differently. We have no information about your hardware and monitor connection configurations.

M4129 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M4129 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 1:03pm
Thank you Thank you, 

I got it figured out. My bios setting were all correct. It was as I suspected but found it super weird. 
That did not and from I can tell does not come inside the box when. 

On page 4. 
Step 4. The first mining kit (PCIe riser + graphics card + power connections) should be installed on slot PCIE2. That is the x16 slot.

WTF 

Then 
Step 10. Install the second mining kit on the top PCIe x1 slot (which is closest to CPU) and repeat steps 3, 4, 8 and 9. 

Double WTF WTF LOL.
Anyways,  thanks for all the help this did it. 

M4129
refugee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote refugee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 12:46pm
Hey, I have a very similar issue.

I have a total of 6 of these boards. The first set up was easy and flawless but can't remember what I did or which sequence. The next few have been a pain. Can't get anything to work.

Would you mind telling me exactly how you overcame your issue, what you did. I followed the PDF/Guide to the T and still can't get it to work.

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic