ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi x370 Sata HDD issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blitzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taichi x370 Sata HDD issues
    Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 7:23am
Hi all,

I just put together a new build with a Ryzen 1700 and a taichi x370. I'm booting off of a WD Blue 7200 1TB and it's horrendous. I'm getting max read/write speed in the 2-5 MB/s category and this causes boot to sometimes takes up to 5 minutes. 

Weird thing is rarely I have no issues at all and everything boots up fine with max read/write speeds in the 150-200 MB/s range. As long as I do not power off everything works fine, but when I do a reboot it is back to the very slow speeds.

Is there a known issue? I've updated all drivers and to the latest bios. I've tried all the SATA ports (Sometimes it seems to fix the issue, but no permanent fix). New cables. The HDD works well in another build so that's not the issue. Ports A_1 and A_2 don't seem to boot at all. I tried turning off deep sleep and that seemed to work for a couple reboots, but then it was back to the same issues.

Is my best option an RMA or am I missing something?

Edited by blitzy - 07 Nov 2017 at 7:36am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by blitzy blitzy wrote:

Hi all,

I just put together a new build with a Ryzen 1700 and a taichi x370. I'm booting off of a WD Blue 7200 1TB and it's horrendous. I'm getting max read/write speed in the 2-5 MB/s category and this causes boot to sometimes takes up to 5 minutes. 

Weird thing is rarely I have no issues at all and everything boots up fine with max read/write speeds in the 150-200 MB/s range. As long as I do not power off everything works fine, but when I do a reboot it is back to the very slow speeds.

Is there a known issue? I've updated all drivers and to the latest bios. I've tried all the SATA ports (Sometimes it seems to fix the issue, but no permanent fix). New cables. The HDD works well in another build so that's not the issue. Ports A_1 and A_2 don't seem to boot at all. I tried turning off deep sleep and that seemed to work for a couple reboots, but then it was back to the same issues.

Is my best option an RMA or am I missing something?

Are you using a new installation of Windows? What version of Windows are you using?

No, this is not a known issue.

The main, first four SATA ports, SATA3_1 - SATA3_4 ports are provided by the Ryzen processor itself, part of its SOC type architecture. The SATA3_5 and SATA3_6 are provided by the X370 chipset.

The extra SATA3_A1_A2 ports are provided by the add-on ASMedia SATA chipset, that is unrelated to the Ryzen SATA ports. Those should be able to be used with the OS drive, but that they apparently cannot be used makes me wonder about your OS installation.

If you have only one drive to test in the X370 Taichi, then I don't feel safe declaring your processor's SATA source is bad. You said the issue with the drive is intermittent in the X370 board, but how long did you test it in another build? Plus, how can you be using one OS installation with two different boards/PCs? No detail about that, we need more information.

If this only happens on a cold start, I'm betting it is not a fresh Windows installation.

blitzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blitzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 1:23am
Hi parsec,

Thanks for the reply.

It was a brand new HDD so the install is fresh and was done with the HDD connected to the build in question. I'm using 64-bit Windows 10 Pro.

The way I tested the drive was to connect it as a secondary drive in another PC to see if that was the issue. Files were bring transferred to and from the drive at expected speeds so I ruled out drive issues. But you are right, it might have shown up given enough time and that is not something I can be 100% about.

I ran chkdsk yesterday and the drive reported no errors. But it started working fine and still is fine. Don't know how long it will as this issue has been intermittent.

I also connected another drive (Without a fresh OS intall) which worked fine a few times and then exhibited the same problem.

What worries me is how intermittent this is making it impossible to pinpoint at the moment.

I don't want something to fail a month or so from now when I'm out of my 30 day return window.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic