ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ASRock Killer SlL/ac X370 -No Post Troubleshooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock Killer SlL/ac X370 -No Post Troubleshooting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newhorizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock Killer SlL/ac X370 -No Post Troubleshooting
    Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 12:21pm
Hello,

This post is meant to troubleshoot this issue as well as serve as support for those with this specific or similiar issue/configuration.

Recently purchased the ASRock Killer SLI/ac X370 to accompany a Ryzen 5 1600X for my first build ever. However, I have been having some trouble getting my computer to post for the first time.

Currently, I have restored to removing everything from the desktop case and am now troubleshooting with the motherboard on the cardboard motherboard box. So far, the motherboard, GPU, and CPU LED cooler all light up when power is turned on; however, the system will continue to restart itself in an endless loop.

I have a feeling this is a RAM compatibility issue; however, I have read of others utilizing the same memory stick as I have been using with success -- which baffles me. Further, I finally made a RAM kit purchase off this motherboard's memory QVL as a last resort.

I am currently waiting for a memory kit to arrive which is on the motherboard's QVL (F4-3200C16D-16GTZB) and basically betting this to work before concluding the motherboard is dead. I will return with results once I have tried this kit out. 

My build is the following. Please note I have tested this configuration with two RAM kits, thinking 2400 Mhz RAM would solve the issue.

-ASRock Killer SLI/ac X370 BIOS per motherboard sticker P2.50
-AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor
-CRYORIG - H7 Quad Lumi 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
-EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW2 Gaming iCX Video Card
-BitFenix - Whisper M 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
-Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case
-G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-3000C16D-16GTZR
-CORSAIR - Vengeance 2-Pack 8GB PC4-19200 DDR4 DIMM Unbuffered Non-ECC Desktop Memory Kit Black Model CMK16GX4M2A2400C16

Please also note I have not tried the following: 
-Taking out the CMOS battery and shorting the CMOS switch at the same time
-Plugging in a motherboard speaker to hear any error beeps

Please note I have tried the following
-Re-seated the CPU and CPU cooler and reapplying thermal paste
-Securing all power cables: CPU (top left), ATX motherboard (24 pin I believe), GPU 2 8-pins
-Testing all 4 ram slots, with a single RAM DIMM
-Tested with 2400 Mhz RAM 
-Ensuring A2 and B2 RAM slots were occupied
-Shorting the CMOS jumper only from position 1-2 to 2-3, waiting 5 seconds, and back to 1-2.
-Trying out both pci-e slots for the GPU

Any further tips/suggestions/general troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance. 

newhorizen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newhorizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 12:24pm
Just noticed spelling of the title of the post is incorrect. Could a moderator kindly edit for spelling? Thank you. "ASRock Killer SLI/ac X370 -No Post Troubleshooting"
newhorizen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newhorizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 12:08pm
Update 11/09/2017: Tested the G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-3000C16D-16GTZR which is on the QVL list, but no dice. The computer does not post.

I will be requesting an RMA for this motherboard.

Further, I think this motherboard should have worked out of the box but apparently something is not working. At this stage of Ryzen, shouldn't most RAM be compatible? I will try for a new motherboard and see how this goes.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 12:24pm
The only other potential problem would be bent pins on the CPU not inserted into their corresponding holes in the CPU socket. Ryzen processor pins are much thinner than earlier AMD processors. I have seen and worked on two Ryzen PCs for people where they were not careful with inserting the CPU, and they had several bent pins that were not connected. Just FYI.

The memory you have should have at least completed POST with the 2.50 UEFI version at their default speed. Your G.SKILL memory would not be at 3000 by default, its stock speed is 2133.

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3000c16d-16gtzr

We have seen some issues with G.SKILL RGB memory not working in the main memory slots that should be used with two DIMMs, A2 and B2, but that is not universal.

I have the same board with a 1700X, which had an earlier UEFI version out of the box, but I used memory specified for Ryzen. It would complete POST fine, but not OC well with that UEFI version, which was earlier that your 2.50.

Hopefully you had a bad board, but if you still have no POST with the new board, you most likely have something else that is stopping POST from completing.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic