ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x399 Taichi, NVMe drive stuck at x1 speed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arundor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x399 Taichi, NVMe drive stuck at x1 speed
    Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 5:15am
Hi,

I have a x399 Taichi motherboard with a Samsung 960 EVO 1TB installed in the M2_3 slot.  I'm getting much slower speeds than expected from it, and the Samsung Magician software shows that the drive interface is PCIE Gen 3x1.

Am I correct in thinking that it is actually supposed to be at PCIE Gen 3x4?  Is there BIOS setting I need to adjust to fix this?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Arundor - 14 Nov 2017 at 5:16am
ASRock X399 Taichi (BIOS 3.90) | AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X
G.SKILL TridentZ 32GB RAM (F4-3200C14Q-32GTZ) | Seasonic Focus Plus 850W (SSR-850FX)
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 5:56am
Arundor,  what have you used to measure the speed?  Looks like to me that it should be Gen3x4 like my X399 FPG.  All three of my 960 EVOs show Gen3x4 and test around 3.0 MBps.  Your M2_3 also supports SATA3 6.0 Gb/s.  Or you just reading the Gen3x1 of running a performance test?  Have you tried another socket?  Please post your specifications in your signature as I have, including BIOS and OS versions and power supply.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 6:02am
Originally posted by Arundor Arundor wrote:

Hi,

I have a x399 Taichi motherboard with a Samsung 960 EVO 1TB installed in the M2_3 slot.  I'm getting much slower speeds than expected from it, and the Samsung Magician software shows that the drive interface is PCIE Gen 3x1.

Am I correct in thinking that it is actually supposed to be at PCIE Gen 3x4?  Is there BIOS setting I need to adjust to fix this?

Thanks for any help.

All the M.2 slots on the X399 Taichi board support PCIe 3.0 x4 according to the specifications:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X399%20Taichi/index.asp#Specification

The Magician software is normally correct in detecting the PCIe interface, unless possibly you are using an older version.

There aren't any limitations listed in the specifications regarding sharing of resources between the M.2 slots and the PCIe slots. Just curious, how many of the PCIe slots are you using? Such as multiple video cards? That should not make a difference AFAIK.

There aren't any UEFI/BIOS options that should need to be configured for the M.2 slots. I can only go by the manual, since UEFI updates are not always included in the manual. If there were any options that need to be configured for the M.2 slots, it would be in the Advanced\Storage Configuration screen. There is also the Advanced\AMD PBS screen that has two PCIe switch configuration options, but I have never heard of anyone needing to configure those options. I mention them only because the M.2 slots use the CPU's PCIe lanes.

All I can suggest is remounting the 960 EVO in the M2_3 slot and be sure the SSD is straight into the slot. You could also try the SSD in the other M.2 slots as a test.

Are you using Windows 10?

Arundor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arundor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 9:02am
MisterJ and parsec, thanks for the replies.

I tried remounting the drive as suggested and it appears the standoff and come a little loose.  I tightened it and remounted the drive, and the performance has improved.  Here is the speed I am getting now: https://i.imgur.com/f5Qv5oj.jpg  I'm still a little concerned about the 4KiB Q32T1 speed being lower than what many other owners of this drive have reported so I will continue trying to improve my configuration to address that.  But for now, I think I can say that the original problem is solved.

Oddly, Samsung Magician still reads the link speed as Gen 3x1, however the benchmark I linked above shows that the drive is achieving speeds greater than would be possible at x1 speed so I'm content to conclude that Magician is in error.

For completeness I'll fill in the other details I was asked about in case anyone else with a similar problem finds this thread.

- Operating system is Windows 10 Professional version 1709 (Fall Creators Update)
- I tested drive speed using the built in performance tests in Samsung Magician, and also the 3rd party CrystalDiskMark software.
- Only one PCIe slot is in use, a GTX 760 video card is in the top x16 slot.
- I tried altering the options in the AMD PBS section of the UEFI/BIOS. The options were Auto/Gen1/Gen2.  I didn't see a Gen3 option but I tried setting it to Gen2 since that was the highest option available, and it didn't help with the problem. I have since set it back to Auto.

Edited by Arundor - 14 Nov 2017 at 9:11am
ASRock X399 Taichi (BIOS 3.90) | AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X
G.SKILL TridentZ 32GB RAM (F4-3200C14Q-32GTZ) | Seasonic Focus Plus 850W (SSR-850FX)
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 9:27am
Arundor,  you are doing better than I.  I think next time I will select a disk that I am not using and certainly not my C: disk.  Looks like this is your only SSD, so try to make sure as little as possible is active on your system.

Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Arundor Arundor wrote:

MisterJ and parsec, thanks for the replies.

I tried remounting the drive as suggested and it appears the standoff and come a little loose.  I tightened it and remounted the drive, and the performance has improved.  Here is the speed I am getting now: https://i.imgur.com/f5Qv5oj.jpg  I'm still a little concerned about the 4KiB Q32T1 speed being lower than what many other owners of this drive have reported so I will continue trying to improve my configuration to address that.  But for now, I think I can say that the original problem is solved.

Oddly, Samsung Magician still reads the link speed as Gen 3x1, however the benchmark I linked above shows that the drive is achieving speeds greater than would be possible at x1 speed so I'm content to conclude that Magician is in error.

For completeness I'll fill in the other details I was asked about in case anyone else with a similar problem finds this thread.

- Operating system is Windows 10 Professional version 1709 (Fall Creators Update)
- I tested drive speed using the built in performance tests in Samsung Magician, and also the 3rd party CrystalDiskMark software.
- Only one PCIe slot is in use, a GTX 760 video card is in the top x16 slot.
- I tried altering the options in the AMD PBS section of the UEFI/BIOS. The options were Auto/Gen1/Gen2.  I didn't see a Gen3 option but I tried setting it to Gen2 since that was the highest option available, and it didn't help with the problem. I have since set it back to Auto.

Great, glad that was a simple fix. The M.2 connections are so close together that alignment and fitment are critical. The screw position insures the drive is pushed in all the way.

The Magician software might not be quite compatible with X399 at this point, which might account for the error in the link bandwidth. There is no chance that you are running at PCIe 3.0 x1 with your Sequential Q32T1 read and write speed results.

The AMD PBS options have Auto being Gen3 (PCIe 3.0) and I would leave it on Auto. For an experiment you could try setting it to Gen2 or Gen1 and see what the Magician software shows for the PCIe bandwidth, if you trust it. Wink  I'm curious if those options affect the M.2 slots.

You think you have poor results for the 4K Q8T8 results? Here's my 500GB 960 EVO on a Ryzen X370 system:

The 4K Q8T8 test is new, I'm curious to try it on my Intel PCs with the same and other NVMe SSDs.

IMO, the 960 EVO can be erratic in its benchmark results. But on Ryzen boards we have seen consistently lower 4K high queue depth speeds for some reason. As MisterJ said, use as an OS drive affects benchmark results considerably. To demonstrate both the 4K and OS difference, a 960 EVO on an Intel Z270 PC, empty data drive:

Comparing speeds on the two X399 PCs, we have a 250GB SSD vs a 1TB SSD. The 1TB 960 EVO has a much larger SLC cache, so I would expect it to do better.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic