ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock X399 & Memory issues on my build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssateneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 9:13am
You also have to keep in mind that the fastest officially supported speed is 2667MHz (Single rank, 1 DIMM per channel). Anything past that is overclocking and not guaranteed. Dual rank DIMMs and 2 DIMM per channel decreases the official speed, depending on the combination, to as low as 1867MHz. If you get more than 2667MHz, great, but if you don't, according to manufacturer, that's not their problem. AMD provides tools to aid in operation above 2667MHz, but success is not guaranteed.

So try not to blame hardware as 'faulty' when you're running it above spec.

Anyways, as far as a more 'helpful' comment, 3200 can be difficult to attain, depending on chip quality and board used. I have an MSI X399 that did not play well at any speed above 2933, but the asrock taichi x399 allowed 3333 without a problem using mostly auto settings. Most of it comes down to silicon lottery. Using 4 samsing b-die 3600MHz rated dual rank DIMMs
MB: X399 Taichi, UEFI L3.32
VGA: EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
PSU: Seasonic PRIME 1300 W PLATINUM
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
MEM: 4x16GB, 3600MHz G.Skill Trident Z F4-3600C17Q-64GTZKW
lowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by LurkerLito LurkerLito wrote:

Well all I can say is that with the latest bios 1.80 I can run 3200 but it isn't stable. I can run for hours but at some point Win 10 Pro will BSOD. So 1.80 did make the memory stable enough to even run a full HCI memtest overnight in both Windows and booting to it's own mem test program (bought the memtest deluxe program), but still for some reason as soon as I start using the system it will just randomly BSOD. So I dropped the ram speed to 3066 and now everything is perfectly stable with 0 BSODs since. The memory definitely isn't bad, and I doubt anything else is either, but for my system 3200 is just not working properly.

Exactly the same scenario with my system, 3200MHz will run but random freezing and BSOD but 2933MHz is fine......didn't bother with trying 3066MHz either yet.

Sure it's a bios issue that need addressing on the AGESA level more than likely.
X399 Fat Pro Gaming bios 3.10 - TR4 1900X - 64GB G-SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-64GTZ @ 3133MHz - Vega 64 AIO with EK block - WC Custom loop - 1500W Silverstone PSU - yay
Albylion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albylion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 1:24pm
Just chiming in a year later to say I had the same problem, and the same solution.  I have an x399 Fatal1ty Professional Gaming motherboard, Threadripper 2990wx, and 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX 2400 DDR4 (HX424C15FW2K4/32).  DIMM_B2 (on the far right of the board) wouldn't recognize anything.  Switching out RAM sticks didn't work.  Unplugging the PSU and mashing the Clear CMOS button for ten seconds, then upgrading to BIOS 2.2, then to 3.3, didn't solve the problem.  (My computer would just power cycle continually with 2.2 as it couldn't recognize the Threadripper 2--I had to use the Flashback button and a USB stick without powering on [cool feature!].)  Then I took off the cooler and TIM, raised and lowered the TR4 bracket down as straight as I could, reapplied TIM and cooler, and ë moë! Problem solved!  Thanks! 

Fatal1ty DIMM_B2 wont recognize RAM sticks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic