ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Taichi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancec19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Taichi
    Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 9:31pm
I have a X399 with Threadripper 1950X CPU.  When I plug in a power connector to the ATX12V2 the system will not turn on.  If I do not plug in a connector it turns on.  

I have tried two different EVGA SuperNova 1600 G2 power supplies.  I have tried 4 different CPU power cables.  

I am assuming that the CPU needs the extra power and I have run the system for a few hours at a time and everything seems to be working fine without the cable. 

can I leave the ATX12V2 4 pin connector unplugged and use it long term?  
Lance Caven
X399 Taichi - Bios 1.8
EK Custom Water cooling for CPU/GPU's
AMD Threadripper 1950x
Dual AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edtion
32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series
EVGA SuperNova 1600 G2
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 12:55am
lancec19, I do not understand where you are plugging in the connector.  The power supply should have a 24-pin, 8-pin and 4-pin for the CPU.  All should be plugged into the CPU connectors.  The video cards have their own set of power connectors which should be plugged into the video cards.  There is also a video power connector on the board.  Some connectors may be 4+4 pin or 4+6 pin.  The CPU power connectors should be labeled CPU and the Video power connectors should be marked PCIe.  Do not connect either into the other's socket.  Failure to power up seems to be associated with connecting the PCIe connector into the CPU receptacle or vice-versa.  Please let us hear what you find.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 2:44am
we have had before
an x399 owner try to plug in his pcie gpu power lead into that same four pin socket and cause the same problem as yours

so heres a quick run down
plug the 24 pin power into socket 10 on the manual board layout
plug the 8pin cpu/eps into socket 9 (atx12v1)
break the second 8pin cpu/eps into half and use half (4pins) into socket atx12v2 (number2 in manual)

i think you may be stuck looking the the second cpu/eps 8 pin lead as this dosnt come with many psu's and you may be trying to use a pcie graphics?  which will short out and stop the board booting
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
inguy24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inguy24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 4:36am
Ok... admitting doing dumb things is not fun... but this might help you. Be careful when plugging into this socket. it is oriented differently from the 8 pin socket, but yet I was still able to somehow successfully plug the 4 pin connector into the socket facing the wrong direction. For some reason my system wouldn't boot! Go figure! Once I realized what I did, it booted just fine. For some reason, even though it shouldn't have been possible to plug it in the wrong way, it surprisingly plugged in wrong easily... so check if something as simple as that is the issue. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic