ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Right-Click Menu Funnies - Solutions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DevillEars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Right-Click Menu Funnies - Solutions
    Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 4:09pm
Some of you may have experienced this if you've tried to upgrade to Win10, had problems and had to revert to Win8.1.

In this situation, if your OS installs were done with MS account link "On", when you've installed Win10 initially, your Windows Appearance Settings are uploaded to MS' OneDrive. When you subsequently install Win8.1, the installer checks OneDrive for settings and requests a download of the settings, which are then applied to your Win 8.1 installation.

The results can vary from situation to situation based on differences in individual sets of settings, but are usually characterised by "funnies" with the "right-click menus" (aka "context menus"). In my particular case, these menus were displayed with black text on a black background, but others have had weirder permutations of font typeface/size, border/background/text colour combinations.

Google initially did not help until it became apparent that - in Microsoft-speak - these menus that display when you right-click on an icon pinned to the task bar are labelled as "right-click menus", "context menus" and, the real name being "jump lists". Once the term "jump list" had surfaced, things progressed and it was possible to determine mechanisms by which to: firstly, avoid the problem; and secondly, if already happened how to fix it.

A) AVOIDANCE

When installing Windows 10 (and any subsequent install of Windows 8.1) DO NOT select the on-line linked installation option - USE THE OFF-LINE VERSION. This stops the appearance settings from being uploaded to OneDrive.

B) FIX (NASTY)

Using release media, re-install final desired Windows version and use option A) above

C) FIX (TECH)

Google Registry Edit and problem and make changes to registry (not recommended if you're mildly technophobic)

D) FIX (QUICK)

Open Windows Update and open Update History. Locate uipdate labelled "KB3072318" and uninstall it before re-starting your system. (This update is the one sent from OneDrive containing your original Windows10 appearance settings for Windows 8.1 to use). THIS WAS THE OPTION I EVENTUALLY USED AS I'M NOT THAT FAMILIAR WITH REGEDIT AND DID NOT FEEL LIKE RE-INSTALLING EVERYTHING AND IT WORKED FIRST TIME.

CAVEAT: This QUICK FIX is only for those re-installing Win 8.1 AND NOT for Win7 or prior versions.

ATTRIBUTION: This quick fix found via Google in EightForums in a post from "archtop" at:
http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/69379-taskbar-jump-list-has-distorted-icons-placing-2.html

Finally, before anyone asks, the Win10 installation failed due to certain device driver incompatibilities between Asrock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional board and Windows10 and these devices are more important to me than upgrading from Win 7 to Win10, so split the difference and went with Win8.1 (where drivers ARE available). The failure resulted in a "black screen of mortality" during both shut-down and power-on, which tended to make any "repair" somewhat awkward...

I hope this helps to save someone a hectic day or so trying to resolve this problem (it's not very well documented).

Dave
If music be the love of food, eat on
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 2:15pm
A question, perhaps rhetorical in a sense, which one statement of yours got me thinking about. Completely off topic BTW... that is:

Open Windows Update and open Update History. Locate uipdate labelled "KB3072318" and uninstall it before re-starting your system.

AFAIK, Windows 10 has automated and non-blockable  updates, in contrast to the past where if I chose not to install an update, such as a font update for Cyrillic text, I could do so.

The uninstalling of an update is a work around to the Windows 10 Updates down our throats approach.

I am wondering though, since Microsoft "knows better" than we do Censored if an uninstalled update would be installed again at a later time. That would seem to make the option of uninstalling an update moot and worthless. Of course, that does not mean it won't happen. Wacko

BTW, regarding the driver incompatibility you discovered between Win 10 and your ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional board, why aren't you throwing a fit over this, blaming ASRock for the issue, and declaring you'll never buy an ASRock board every again? Wink LOL

Care to describe the problem, in case we can figure it out?
DevillEars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DevillEars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

A question, perhaps rhetorical in a sense, which one statement of yours got me thinking about. Completely off topic BTW... that is:

Open Windows Update and open Update History. Locate uipdate labelled "KB3072318" and uninstall it before re-starting your system.

AFAIK, Windows 10 has automated and non-blockable  updates, in contrast to the past where if I chose not to install an update, such as a font update for Cyrillic text, I could do so.

The uninstalling of an update is a work around to the Windows 10 Updates down our throats approach.

I am wondering though, since Microsoft "knows better" than we do Censored if an uninstalled update would be installed again at a later time. That would seem to make the option of uninstalling an update moot and worthless. Of course, that does not mean it won't happen. Wacko
From what Google turned up about "KB3072318" it would appear that this "update" is only distributed during or immediately after a Reset/Refresh of an OS and then only if the OS install was done with the Micro$oft Account Link set to "Yes". If this is true, then one would not expect subsequent updates with this reference unless one signed in to MS account and changed Windows 10 Appearance Settings (which would then be saved to OneDrive and qualify for a re-send to any and all Windows 10 devices sharing that MS account). It would appear (unconfirmed) that this update code is reserved for Appearance Settings. Maybe your contacts within the Micro$oft world/could clarify?

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

BTW, regarding the driver incompatibility you discovered between Win 10 and your ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional board, why aren't you throwing a fit over this, blaming ASRock for the issue, and declaring you'll never buy an ASRock board every again? Wink LOL

Care to describe the problem, in case we can figure it out?

I'll ignore the editorial comment ... Tongue

From what I've been able to ascertain, two of the driver areas that would appear to be incompatible with Windows 10 are the Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 sound card driver/configuration tool (Obviously NOT an Asrock issue being a third-party add-on option card) and the Broadcomm LAN drivers (basic LAN and Teaming drivers - which would seem to be an Asrock qualification/distribution responsibility at board level).

I am extremely partial to the HDAV1.3 and its sound, so would like to retain the card in active usage.

Over the past few days, I've done a clean install of Windows 8.1 on the Z77 board in question, resolved the installation funnies, resolved some long-standing issues (LAN performance, USB 3.0 performance, and a couple of other minor issues) and that system is flying like never before (obviously benefitting from the OS SSD switch from 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 to 512GB Samsung 850PRO plus the effective defrag of all disks as a by-product of backup and restore plus Win8.1 vs Win7 advantages - and I have yet to enable "FastBoot"...)

The only real challenge remaining is trying to locate and restore my Outlook Folders which seem to have vanished somewhere in the process. I've hunted high and low for .PST files and tried "Import" to restore Contacts and Message folders (Calendar entries are not a train-smash) - but to no avail. But I don't expect you folk to help solve this issue - this is mine to solve...Confused

If music be the love of food, eat on
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic