ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Updated BIOS to latest version Fan incredibly loud
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Updated BIOS to latest version Fan incredibly loud

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plexico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Updated BIOS to latest version Fan incredibly loud
    Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 9:55am

I'm using the ASrock AB350m-HDV in my new build
as well as a Ryzen 5 1600x with Cooler Master hyper t4 cooler and arctic silver thermal paste

I was using the bios version that came with the motherboard, which was 2.3 I think, and I updated to the latest version (3.3). Ever since then my CPU fan will randomly speed up and have an incredibly loud crackling type noise. When I run prime95 cpu test the CPU never goes past 75C at 100% load using Ryzen Master to check the temps.

I went to the BIOS and set all the fan modes to Silent but it still persists. It will get incredibly loud even at 55-60C which it gets to all the time. It was completely fine before the BIOS update, I literally couldn'thear the fan unless I put my ear to the case and the temps were the exact same.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
Plexico View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plexico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 10:14am
Managed to fix it by changing the heat monitoring setting in the BIOS from Tctrl to CPU. I think the issue was because the Tctrl sensor has a known issue with Ryzen CPUs where it reports the temp as 20C higher than it actually is, and was causing the fans to go full throttle. Running it with the CPU monitoring setting right now with silent mode and I'm back to not hearing the fans at all anymore, temps still never go past 75C with prime95. 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Plexico Plexico wrote:

I'm using the ASrock AB350m-HDV in my new build
as well as a Ryzen 5 1600x with Cooler Master hyper t4 cooler and arctic silver thermal paste

I was using the bios version that came with the motherboard, which was 2.3 I think, and I updated to the latest version (3.3). Ever since then my CPU fan will randomly speed up and have an incredibly loud crackling type noise. When I run prime95 cpu test the CPU never goes past 75C at 100% load using Ryzen Master to check the temps.

I went to the BIOS and set all the fan modes to Silent but it still persists. It will get incredibly loud even at 55-60C which it gets to all the time. It was completely fine before the BIOS update, I literally couldn'thear the fan unless I put my ear to the case and the temps were the exact same.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

If your board's UEFI/BIOS updates are similar to other ASRock AM4 boards, than an option was added to the OC Tweaker screen called CPU Fan 1 Temp Source. That option can change the behavior of the CPU cooler's fan speed, and its speed at lower CPU temperatures.

You updated from the UEFI version from the factory, 2.30, to 3.30, about seven months between them. There is a big difference between the two versions regarding fan speed control.

The 2.30 version of the UEFI was monitoring a different CPU temperature then the 3.30 version is.
You are getting the same CPU temperature in Ryzen Master with the 3.30 UEFI that you did with the 2.30 UEFI?

Go into the UEFI, H/W Monitoring screen, and find the new CPU Fan 1 Temp Source  option. It should have three settings, Monitor CPU, Monitor M/B (Mother Board), and Monitor Tctrl. If it is not set to Monitor CPU, select that setting for a Ryzen 1600X. It may be set to Tctrl now, which would explain the higher fan speeds.

You should also try clearing the UEFI/BIOS with the jumper on the board first, but save your UEFI settings in a Profile before you do that, to make restoring them easier. Then check the CPU Fan 1 Temp Source setting.

The new UEFI version cannot apply more voltage to the CPU cooler's fan than the standard 12V maximum. The new sounds from the fan are simply what it does when it is spinning at higher speeds. It may be loose on the CPU cooler, or a cable is touching the fan blades. Or worst case, the fan is defective and makes noise at higher speeds. It is rated for up to 1800 RPM.

With the 2.30 UEFI version, that fan was not spinning much if at all over 1000 RPM. Now it is, and you can hear is and possibly hear it rattling on the CPU cooler. Did you ever monitor the fan's speed with anything?

What CPU temperature do you get at low CPU load/idle? You said the CPU temperature reaches 55 - 60C all the time, is that under load or while gaming? If not, that is rather high.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Plexico Plexico wrote:

Managed to fix it by changing the heat monitoring setting in the BIOS from Tctrl to CPU. I think the issue was because the Tctrl sensor has a known issue with Ryzen CPUs where it reports the temp as 20C higher than it actually is, and was causing the fans to go full throttle. Running it with the CPU monitoring setting right now with silent mode and I'm back to not hearing the fans at all anymore, temps still never go past 75C with prime95. 

AMD has changed their mind about Tctrl (Tctl) since they released Ryzen. Originally it was only meant for the eight core Ryzen 7 X processors.

But then we have this from AMD:

The Ryzen 5 1600X is included as a processor that has the Tctl offset. Which explains why the fan's speed behaved as it did when Tctl was being monitored for fan speed control. It does make some sense for the 1600X to have the Tctl offset, since it is a 95W TDP processor.

BTW, the CPU temperature reported in the H/W Monitoring screen is Tctl.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic