ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASrock x370 Killer sli/ac not working?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhondis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASrock x370 Killer sli/ac not working?
    Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 1:03am
Hey everyone, I am relatively new to building computers and this is my first ever build. So I have everything hooked up, however I ran into a few problems and I really hope it's not the motherboard itself. Here are my specs
Mobo: ASrock x370 Killer sli/ac
PSU: EVGA 850 +80 Gold
GPU: Zotac GTX Geforce 1080 Mini
CPU: AMD 7 1700x
Cooling: NZXT Kraken x62
RAM: Vulcan T-force 8GB (Two of them)
Once I turn on the power supply itself the motherboard lights up red and beats in and out like a heart beat. However whenever I turn it on I get no beeps, but the fans and initial CPU cooler itself runs smoothly and at a good speed. And even the GPU lights up when turned on. And I also get no display whatsoever as well as the computer restarting every 10 seconds. I tried switching out Zotac for my old GPU, AMD Sapphire and see if thats the issue but it's not. I tried removing one stick of ram, moving the stick ram in different places, and not having any stick of ram in at all, still doesn't work. I checked the 8 pin connector in the CPU to see if it was secured or wasn't bent. I made sure I hooked up everything correctly, am I missing something here or could this be a dead mobo? Please help.

UPDATE: The issue is fixed, I remembered that my old computer had a motherboard speaker so I decided to use that to help narrow my search on what could be wrong. Upon fully placing it into my motherboard and turning on my computer, I received three beeps which points to RAM. So I tried inserting both ram sticks in all 4 slots by themselves and together. Coming to the conclusion that maybe my ram was defective I noticed on the package that it was DDR4 3000, not 2400 or 2667. I finally got new ram, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 8GB (2x) and my computer is fully functional. As a beginner to making new computers, I will definitely make sure to read the specs list for the mother boards I buy.

Edited by Rhondis - 07 Dec 2017 at 2:18am
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 2:01am
a few basics

check and reseat the 24 pin motherboard connector
check and reseat the 8 pin cpu/eps connector top left of board (make dam sure its the one labelled cpu/eps)
check the gpu has the actual 'pcie' labelled 8 pin and its not the cpu/eps connector
check and recheck you have connected the front panel leads correctly
e.g. the pwr sw/pwr led/reset sw/hddled

Edited by datonyb - 06 Dec 2017 at 2:02am
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Rhondis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhondis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 2:26am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

a few basics

check and reseat the 24 pin motherboard connector
check and reseat the 8 pin cpu/eps connector top left of board (make dam sure its the one labelled cpu/eps)
check the gpu has the actual 'pcie' labelled 8 pin and its not the cpu/eps connector
check and recheck you have connected the front panel leads correctly
e.g. the pwr sw/pwr led/reset sw/hddled

1. I've reseated the MB connector pin, nothing.
2. The CPU pin is locked in place correctly in the 8 pin connector, made sure it said CPU on it.
3. GPU is connected to the VGA pin connectors
4. The case I am using doesn't have a reset sw, but it does ave a pwr sw. The case is Enthoo Pro M Tempered glass.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 5:09am
well then that leaves try one stick of ram in slot a2 if no good try the other

still no good
reseat the cpu

also check pins for any bent ones or for thermal paste on pins
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Rhondis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhondis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 8:14am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

well then that leaves try one stick of ram in slot a2 if no good try the other

still no good
reseat the cpu

also check pins for any bent ones or for thermal paste on pins

Well I already said in my post I moved the ram all around the mother board.

Reseated the CPU 5 times now

No bent pins.

The Mobo is suppose to beep if you dont have any ram, and it doesn't. I also tried connecting my keyboard to the mobo and it has power for a very brief moment. 
Rhondis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhondis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 9:05am
So I managed to find my old computer's speaker and hooked it up, upon turning on the new computer I get 3 beeps so I am wondering if the sticks of ram I have are incompatible or defective. Will check back soon on this.

But would no ram be causing my computer from restarting every 15-20 seconds? And my computer from displaying?

Edited by Rhondis - 06 Dec 2017 at 9:12am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 9:08am
Rhondis, unless you installed a speaker on your board, there is nothing to beep.  If your board does not have a hex display as mine does, then it may be a good idea to install one.  Have you done a Clear CMOS?  If not, please do.  Can you boot into the BIOS?  If so, please look at the HW Monitor and get a screenshot.  Insert a FAT formatted USB stick and hit F12.   Does your board have a 4-pin CPU power connector - is it connected?  Please make sure you are using CPU power connectors, not PCIe.  Good luck and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
Rhondis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhondis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:12am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

Rhondis, unless you installed a speaker on your board, there is nothing to beep.

Actually my old computer had a tiny speaker, so I took that and hooked it up to this new motherboard and now it's beeping 3 times which means the ram could faulty.

Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

If your board does not have a hex display as mine does, then it may be a good idea to install one.  Have you done a Clear CMOS?  If not, please do.  Can you boot into the BIOS?  If so, please look at the HW Monitor and get a screenshot.  Insert a FAT formatted USB stick and hit F12.   Does your board have a 4-pin CPU power connector - is it connected?  Please make sure you are using CPU power connectors, not PCIe.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

As I stated in my main post, no display shows up so I can't tell you whether I am able to get into BIOS or not. I tried two different GPU's my new one (Listed), and my old one (The AMD sapphire) which works really well and both still don't show anything. So either it's the mother board itself thats causing my computer from displaying anything, the ram, or something else. 

Also can you all please stop telling me to try and see if my 4 pin CPU is connected. I already know this, and I have done this 3 different times, yes I'm using the right CPU pins, yes I have connected it properly. And yes I have re-seated my MB connectors plenty of times. None of the pins are bent either.
ShampooCA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShampooCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 1:29pm
If this is a new system, it's the RAM.
Not that it's bad, but since the motherboard has an older BIOS version it won't boot with that set.
Toss in any piece of DDR4 and boot it up, update the BIOS then try your new RAM again.
It's just about compatibility guys.
Been like this since the beginning of computing.
Memory and other parts compatibility isn't guaranteed.
I also ran into this with my x370 KillerSLI and gskill ram.
Works fine after bios update from 1.6 shipped, to 3.4 or whatever it is now.
Luckily I had another set of RAM from my x370 gaming k4 system which worked fine with the older BIOS.

Edited by ShampooCA - 09 Dec 2017 at 1:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic