ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X399 Taichi solved Vengeance RGB Issues? Maybe?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Taichi solved Vengeance RGB Issues? Maybe?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote INguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Taichi solved Vengeance RGB Issues? Maybe?
    Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 5:08am
Hi everyone,

AFTER installing ASRock's ASRRGBLED app, I had a heck of a time stabilizing a Threadripper build with an ASRock Taichi X399 board and Corsair Vengeance RGB 4x16 3200mhz DDR4. Here is the build:

• AMD Threadripper 1950X (stock speed no OC)
  • ASRock X399 Taichi
  • Corsair H100i V2 Closed Loop CPU Cooler
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB 4x16GB 3200 DDR4 (2 - 2x16 kits) 64GB total RAM (slots D2, C2, A2, B2 as instructed by ASRock) - running in Quad Channel - Timing 16-18-18-36 XMP2 Samsung Die (CMR32GX4M2C3200C16)
  • ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 ti Gaming OC (PCI-3 - i know it says PCI1 but you block the LEDs!)
  • Samsung SSD 950 Pro 512 GB PCI-E M.2 (Primary Drive OS/Apps/Swap - will add SSD later for swap space)
  • WDC WD20EZRX 2TB 7200rpm HD - working files - all other files on NAS and cloud backup
  • 2x LG BD-RE WH16NS40 Blu-ray Writer
  • 1x ASUS BW-12B1ST Blu-ray Writer
  • EVGA 850P2 Platinum 850w PSU Modular
  • Monitors: 2x LG E2742 1080p and 1x LG 31MU97 4K Cinema Display
  • Windows 10 Pro V.1709

The original build went smoothly, as well as the loading of Windows and applications. Was on BIOS 1.80 and immediately set DRAM to XMP setting for 3200 mhz. It automatically set the proper voltage to 1.35 and all was good. This was fine for a week or so. The ONLY problem I have is my reset button will not work, nor will the one built in on the motherboard. Annoying... but itself not worth the hassle of RMA since I was already past Microcenter's short window to return motherboards. And of course no luck getting any response from ASRock who really wants you to deal with your "Dealer". Ummm ASRock your authorized dealer only wants to deal with me for 15 days! So buyer beware, you are pretty much on your own after that! ASUS takes much better care of their customers... but then again, they should with the price of their X399 board. 

Corsair LINK set the RGB pattern for the RAM sticks... ASUS Aura set the LED pattern for the GTX 1080 ti card. I then went to install the ASRRGBLED app. I thought this was JUST AN APP... but it immediately started writing to the BIOS... WTF? No warning or anything. This is bad practice as there was no warning. I would have made sure to close all background applications first to avoid potential corruption... and sure enough... WHAMMO! FAIL! It failed to install the BIOS then received the dread "could not access xxxxx memory" and the app would not open. I then immediately BSODed... after being stable for a couple of days having already run MEMTEST86+, PRIME95, Passmark, 3DMARK and FURMARK. To make matters worse, I was now caught in a boot loop and the entire BIOS was corrupted. 

I followed various instructions, re-seating the RAM, swapping sticks in and out, res-eating the CPU... nothing worked. I was successfully able to flash using the BIOS Flashback button on the rear of the motherboard back to 1.80. It took... but when I tried to set the RAM to XMP... it BSODed every time. I noticed that although it was attempting to set the voltage to 1.35, it was stuck at 1.20... confirmed in the system monitor screen. I didn't set XMP and booted at the 2133 mhz no problem... and sure enough 1.20 v in HWMonitor even though it showed I was attempting to set at 1.35 v in the BIOS. I then set the ram voltage to OC Mode, set the SOC voltage to Level 1 and SOC 1.14 fixed. I set the XMP profile but scaled back to 3066 mhz. This booted. For some reason this was stable in Windows even with HWMonitor reporting a DRAM voltage of 1.20. Something was fishy with this. It passed MEMTEST86+ with flying colors and PRIME95. What the heck is going on? 

So I decided to give the RGB app one more crack. I found this forum posting:

ASRock gave instructions on how to update the RGB BIOS through the command line. This failed 2x but worked the 3rd time. All of the sudden the built-in LEDs sprang to life. The ASRGBLED App on the otherhand... well it opens every 3rd or 4th try. Open... fail... open partially... fail... opens! It is like playing craps, but when it did open I was successfully able to program the LEDs. I was now able to program them through the BIOS, something I could not do before either. 

So at this point I was still ready to RMA the board, things were just strange and it was apparent it was not reporting the correct voltage. But low and behold... after flashing the LED BIOS, it started reporting the correct DRAM voltage and showed that it was now set at 1.35. I now had 3066 mhz stable at 16-18-18-36 timing. At this point, I went for 3200... and while it booted and worked for awhile, I eventually BSODed. I upped the voltage to 1.36 and that seems to have stabilized things. I also even took more risk and upgraded the BIOS to 2.0 just for giggles... luckily still stable... and still the correct voltage reporting. I have again ran it through a burn-in with multiple runs of MEMTEST86+ and Prime95... so far so good. My 3DMark score seems to change a bit though so still going to play around with 3066 mhz at a faster timing vs. the 3200 at the XMP profile and see if that makes a difference. 

So if anyone has any light to shed on what happened here, what I am doing wrong, and/or if I should still RMA this board (and/or memory?) because of the weird and strange things happening... I am all ears. I know the particular RAM (CMR32GX4M2C3200C16) is not on ASRock's approved list, but then again, it is the SHORTEST list i have ever seen for compatibility. They might as well just package the RAM with the motherboard since there is almost no choice in what to purchase! Sorry I digress. For those that are struggling with similar issues, I hope this was somewhat helpful. If not, you have my empathy! Good luck!

Edited by INguy - 09 Dec 2017 at 5:26am
AMD Threadripper 1950x
ASRock Taichi X399
ASUS STRIX Gaming ROG OC GTX 1080 Ti
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 9:01pm
well first off
may i say youve had a nightmare and seem to be quite able and willing to sort thing out

well done you

these rgb thingies.....well there causing far more issues than they really should

i feel the most likely cause for you problems may well lay in what seems to be 3 different rgb programs from different vendors
(bear in mind a lot of people are having issues using just one)

may i make a suggestion at least concerning the ram

the xmp settings are made for intel, this is the main problem on amd systems

by far a higher percentage of users are finding a free program called ryzen ram calculator to suggest much better settings for stability and speed than the default xmp ones

http://www.overclock.net/t/1640919/ryzen-dram-calculator-overclocking-dram
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
INguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote INguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 2:40pm
Thanks Datonyb for the response. I did try the ASRock app prior to installing Corsair Link or the ASUS utility. I would agree there is some conflict somewhere. Good point on the XMP profiles... I will give the calc a try. 
AMD Threadripper 1950x
ASRock Taichi X399
ASUS STRIX Gaming ROG OC GTX 1080 Ti
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic