ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Asrock X99-e WS motherboard with following setup
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock X99-e WS motherboard with following setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drstrangelove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock X99-e WS motherboard with following setup
    Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 4:11pm
Hi,

I'm planning to go with the following setup for my new build:-

Motherboard - Asrock X99-e WS
CPU - Intel Xeon e5-1660 v3 (currently not in Asrock CPU list)
Memory - either Crucial 64 GB (16GB x 4) or 64 GB (2 set of 8GB x 4) ECC Ram
HDD - 3 x Intel 750 400 GB PCie 
GPU - Either going with Nvidia GTX 980 Ti or Nvidia Titan X (can't decide to go with ASUS or EVGA)
PSU - Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX
Cooling - 3 x Corsair AF140 (quite edition) fans and Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX and will be replacing the stock fan with 2 x Corsair SP120 PWM.
Casing - Corsair Obsidian 750D 
OS - Windows 10 Pro

The last build I did on my own was like 15 years ago (a gaming PC, I think it was a Pentium CPU) and been running HP WS ever since but I thought of starting to get my hand dirty and start building my own WS.

This build is entirely for work (ie NO Gaming at all). I do design work (web and mobile design) and uses Photoshop and Illustrator on daily basis (more photoshop than illustrator, programming (HTML, CSS, JavaScript) and occasionally do video using Premiere and AE (very rarely)

Need some advice and opinion here. I've been doing a lot of research and came out with the above configuration. Hoping to get final opinion from Asrock and Asrock user on the following based on my motherboard selection:-

1) I can't find E5-1660 v3 in the list of supported CPU for X99-e WS motherboard. The E5-1660 v3 is actually similar to i7 5960x except that I cannot OC but gives me the ability to use ECC ram and get up to 128GB if I need to. So, does X99-e WS motherboard support E5-1660 v3 CPU?

2) I'm getting 3 x Intel 750 400GB PCIe SSD. 1 for my OS and apps, 1 for my work and 1 for the scratch disk. Logically with my motherboard (X99-e WS) I should not have any problem having 3 of this SSD as each just need x4 of the PCIe. I'm aware that this SSD run on NVMe and the motherboard support that. But will this work? running 3 PCIe SSD? Can't find any review on running so many PCIe SSD on one computer.

I'm not concerned about using up my PCIe slot as I will only be running 1 GPU (dual and above GPU will cause issue with Photoshop as per Adobe recommended system setup).

3) Do you think I should go with the following memory setup? 64GB (16GB x 4) (http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/x99-ws-e/CT6910409) or 64GB (2 sets of 8GB x 4) (http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/x99-ws-e/CT6910453)? I'm a bit confuse on this. But correct me if I'm wrong, either selection above will allow my memory to run in Quad right? They are all ECC. I know ECC are slower but my concern here is stability.

I guess the rest of the setup will not have any impact on the motherboard selection but if you see any issue in them, appreciate if you can highlight them to me.

Also I want to find out about daisy chain my monitors. I will be getting 2 x Dell UltraSharp 27 Monitor (U2715H). What is the benefit of doing daisy chaining my 2 monitors if my GPU already has 2 Display ports which I can use. Been trying to find out more on this but can't really find the answer.

Thank you in advance for reading my long post and sharing your opinion. 

Edited by drstrangelove - 23 Aug 2015 at 4:22pm
amadeok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amadeok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 9:36pm
I'm not really very good at picking components but i have read somewhere that the 980ti will give you the Titan X performance for much less money. I advice you look for benchmarks on google.  Maybe you'll find some at Tomshardware.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic