ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Frequent HARD FREEZES  after 1-2 hours of usage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frequent HARD FREEZES after 1-2 hours of usage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bungle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 3:23am
I've taken out each stick of RAM and have had the computer freeze with just one stick plugged in. And why would the RAM work fine for two hours and then suddenly freeze the computer regardless of what programs I'm using? 

Doesn't the 1-2 hour countdown to freeze indicate it has to be some type of temperature related issue? The computer freezes much faster if I immediately reboot after a freeze. 
php42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote php42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 3:44am
well yes, chips perform worse (and thus need more voltage) when they're hot.
once the computer has been running for a while and heated up, the stock voltage may suddenly not be enough.
increasing the voltage a bit can help keep it stable even with the increased temperature.

of course i'm just speculating, it could also be the memory controller, you could try raising SoC to 1.1v.
but i had a similar problem with a RAM overclock becoming unstable with increased ambient temps.
Masardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 1:30am
So I solved the problem, I have no freezes unless I run the computer for about 24 hours or so.

What I did was lower my DRAM voltage to 1.1v at 2133 MHz, and also increase the VDDP to 1.15. Both of these can be changed in 'OC tweaker' in the BIOS.

The DRAM voltage does seem low, but it has basically solved my problem as freezes are no longer a major issue. If 1.1v is unstable or you want a higher speed, you can probably try increasing the VDDP along with the DRAM voltage.

Since the problem was fixed by messing around with RAM voltages, the problem probably lies somewhere with the RAM and/or the PSU. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic