ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

FM2A75PRO4-M VIDEO PROBLEM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crflorida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FM2A75PRO4-M VIDEO PROBLEM
    Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 4:52am
My home built windows 7 computer has run good for a couple of years, but in the last several months the video will act up (screen becomes unreadable) and I have to power down normally. ?Most of the time if I can guess the proper scratchy lines to make it turn off properly, other times I have to just turn it off. ?After a bit, I power up and machine will run ok for some time, maybe the rest of the day. ?It appears the video output is acting up maybe from the heat or whatever. ?I am using the onboard video. ?This is a point of sale machine, never over worked. ?Any ideas?

crflorida
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 3:46pm
A Point Of Sale (or POS... not Censored) not overworked? Those poor things are overworked by definition, due to the environment. Running 24/7 in dust and debris, used as a support for folders, books, etc. The case is small as possible, maybe two fans in the entire PC, including the CPU cooler.

I've... maintained computers like that. Opening one up is always an adventure, who know what I'll find inside. But one thing is always inside, dust, dust, and more dust. The dust has dust. Dead

Has that computer ever been cleaned? Or cleaned with a year? I'm sure it's either over heating, or the video cable connectors have become infiltrated with dust. If it is as locked down as most POS machines are, you can't run a temperature monitoring program, even if the sensors on the board are connected to anything.

I suggest getting a big can of compressed air/gas, shut if off and take the computer outside, open the case (good luck!) and have at it with the air can. Stand up wind or you'll be wearing the dust... you'll be doing that regardless, but upwind will result in less.

When the can runs out of gas, and you think to yourself, "... should have got two...", turn your head and inhale before trying to be a human air can. Drinking straws work good with human air cans. Marvel at how it manages to function while looking like King Tut's tomb when it was first opened after 3000 years. Yes gold does not tarnish, but dust sticks to everything.

Once it only look crummy, you're done. Put it back together (good luck!), bring it back in, connect and fire it up. When it works computer illiterate people will be amazed and call you genius. But we know better... Wink
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 5:34pm
ROFL Parsec, as soon as I read the first line it brought to mind wearing a surgical mask, a big compressor and dust billowing out like someone poked a whole in a 50kg bag of flower and was spinning it about like a whirlwind. POS systems were always one of my favorite service contracts, it was one of the few occasions I would allow a client into the workshop to show them the matted dust, hair, and cobwebs that accumulate in those things. I had one once where the dust was so thick and had been there so long I was actually able to lift the entire dust wad out like a carpet, I put it in an old motherboard anti static bag and gave it to the client when I was done as a laugh.

Its a pretty good bet that if the system has not been cleaned out in 6 months or more that it could be the culprit. If not then your best bet is to check and reseat all the cables and make sure none of the pins are bent, broken or corroded. If that still does not fix it let us know.

Good luck and have fun with the potential dust storm Big smile
crflorida View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crflorida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 6:50am
Thanks for the support.  My machine IS used in a harsh environment.  In a automotive repair shop in the outside work area in the Florida heat (90 to 100 F.)  I remove the back and clean the machine with the shops clean compressed air every 30 to 60 days.  No problems for a couple of years, but in the past six months the video acts up. Just goes fuzzy, unreadable. I  thought it was the heat, but temp readings are normal.  I have recently added another case fan and changed the air flow with recommendations from the web.  It is not fixed, but I have worked around the occasional video problem.  I am using on board video. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem.  I can wait until cooler weather and see if that fixes the foul play.  Thanks
crflorida
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 1:47pm
Good to hear you give it a blow out frequently.

This may be a silly question but have you tried another monitor with the system? I am not sure what you mean by unreadable, there are many video related issues that can make things unreadable, some are caused by the graphics card/igp others are caused by a failing monitor or cables. Let me run down a basic list.

1: Artifacting = anything that is displayed over the image that is not meant to be, lines, dots, black squares etc. Typically due to the GPU
2: Screen Blur, monitor related
3: Color corruption = image content displays but the colors are all wrong and may flicker, not to be confused with color imbalance. Usually GPU related
4: Color imbalance. Improperly balanced RGB values, monitor related
5: Screen tearing = looks as though the image was sliced and then offset at the slice, part of the image could even be missing. GPU related if in general desktop use, monitor related if gaming (refresh rate and vsync improperly set in game)
6: Garbled image, basically anything else from a single color displaying in weird patterns to lines, blocky image, inversion of colors and or image in patches making the screen unreadable etc. GPU related.

More often than not though, most of these problems tend to come from cables that have begun to degrade. Trying a different (known working) monitor next time it plays up could help figure it out. Sadly if the problem is not coming from cables or the monitor itself and begins to worsen it is most likely the onboard graphics that is beginning to fail. I would say try and clear CMOS and see if default settings get things going properly again but given your system is a POS system I am hesitant to recommend it unless you know your BIOS setup well and can configure it properly again after. Many POS systems have fairly complex setups in the BIOS to facilitate the peripherals they use.

It may be worth while reseating the RAM and power cables on the motherboard next time you have the system open, maybe even remove the ram and blow out the slots with compressed air. Dust has a way of getting in everywhere and if it is impeding contact it can cause a broad array of problems.

I hope at least some of this post is usefull

Good luck
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 1:49pm
I love it, the POS (and after hours gaming) PC getting blown out with the filtered air from a compressor! THAT will leave NOTHING behind! My canned air joke IS a joke compared to that! LOL

But that pressure can move things around, seriously. Since the video source is part of the CPU, I would make sure the fan on the CPU cooler is working well.

What temperature readings do you get, from what program?

I'm not aware of any trend of problems with your board.

What Xaltar said, I agree with completely.
crflorida View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crflorida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 11:49pm
Seems to be fixed now.  I change the video source from  VGA to HDMI.   So either cable or source was bad. By the way, the problem was the last choice "totally garbled screen".  Thanks for the help.  
crflorida
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 1:52am
That's great!

If possible, don't use the VGA output if your monitor can use HDMI, DVI, or DisplayPort. VGA is an analog signal that does not allow as high a resolution as the other, digital outputs do. Plus VGA is more likely to be affected by interference and any kind of less than perfect connection between the monitor and video source.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic