ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'm still on P2.4 - Is the update worthwhile?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm still on P2.4 - Is the update worthwhile?
    Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by zlobster zlobster wrote:

We have to give AMD their share of the hate, though. Their AGESA doesn't look anywhere near ready for prime time.

Sadly, our best option is patience. High-pitched whining around social media and forums also helps in the meantime. Hit them where it hurts. Bad publicity and low sales are a good start.

There is a good chance at least for the high-end mobos, that firmware matures eventually and users stop feeling like they blew 2k for a cr@ppy build.

More true than you know. All board partners have faced these issues to one degree or another. ASRock is one of the ones hit hardest because they followed their usual, "new update, lets get it out the door" routine that has worked so well in the past. It took a while before they realized that the AGESA updates were not always a step up and often broke more than they fixed. Some board partners took the route of ignoring some updates once they saw they were bad, ASRock got there too but not before there were some issues. AMD's rushed launch, while hugely successful, really hurt a lot of people with the poor (6 months at least behind being close to ready) AGESA support.

Being a motherboard manufacturer is rough, everyone always blames the motherboard for anything from post failure to lower than expected OCs. About 80% of the time it turns out to be another component (up till Ryzen). Things will settle and ASRock will catch up (not only ASRock) to the nightmare of AMD's Ryzen gremlins. 
mrpepelepeu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrpepelepeu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by zlobster zlobster wrote:

Originally posted by mrpepelepeu mrpepelepeu wrote:

Thanks. Although it doesn't speak nicely about Asrock

Aye, it doesn't. Look around the forum and you'll see tons of similar issues for almost every model.

We have to give AMD their share of the hate, though. Their AGESA doesn't look anywhere near ready for prime time.

Sadly, our best option is patience. High-pitched whining around social media and forums also helps in the meantime. Hit them where it hurts. Bad publicity and low sales are a good start.

There is a good chance at least for the high-end mobos, that firmware matures eventually and users stop feeling like they blew 2k for a cr@ppy build.

To be honest I'm happier with my build since I de-overclocked it. For the price, these builds aren't bad I'd say.
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 4:55am
Originally posted by mrpepelepeu mrpepelepeu wrote:

Aye, it doesn't. Look around the forum and you'll see tons of similar issues for almost every model.

1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrpepelepeu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 3:21am
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 12:21am
If it's stable - don't touch! Check the other topics. Many ppl wished they had your stability...
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrpepelepeu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 12:16am
Anyone?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrpepelepeu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 12:24am
Hi all,

I have a ryzen 1800x on an ASRock        AB350 Pro4
When I bought the MB I updated the BIOS to P2.40.

I was wondering if there are good reasons to update to the latest BIOS.

The PC is working fine, but if I can squeeze more out of it, even better.

Thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic