ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fan pin shorting mobo??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fan pin shorting mobo??
    Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 4:57am
I have a fractal design mini c and my mobo is ab350m pro4.
After building my pc it doesnt boot at all and there is some whine/zapping sound each time i plug the power cord in. after some research, i found there is others having same problem and it was said the cause is plugging in the connecter into cha_fan1. I read from the mobo description that it can auto detect if it is a 3/4 pin fan being used.i plugged in my rear fan 3-pin into it. It couldn't start and makes the whining/zapping sound. After unplugging the pin from cha_fan1 i everything else starts to power up. But it is all blue screen. Can i know if i fried my mobo? If yes what did i do wrong? Isnt the cha_fan1 intended for connecting a chasis fan?
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 5:54am
Well, I'm not quite sure what you're trying to tell us, so I'll just assume here.

I'm assuming you tried to connect a fan to cha_fan1 header. 3- or 4-pin shouldn't matter. Worst case scenario - your fan is always running at 100%. 2 options here - bad fan that shorted out the mobo, or the fan was drawing too much current and fried some trace/circuit. Both are VERY RARE.

If you could get to UEFI, try disabling cha_fan1 if possible. If the problem is indeed with cha_fan1 and you manage to somehow disable it, maybe the fan controller will cease providing voltage to it and you'll be fine. If not - RMA.

If you connected all cables and connectors properly (in the proper orientation) you couldn't have done any damage yourself.

Hissing/whirring/whining/crackling is a very bad sign where electricity is at play. It indicates a serious damage or impeding one.
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
Leric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 9:47am
Before i unplug the fan connecter from cha_fan1, i couldn't even power it up as it most likely shorted within a fraction of seconds due to my mouse light up and instantly go off that is how i know it.

After unplug only this conmector and a ram it were able to stay power on indefinitely. Just it shows blue screen on my tv monitor. Can't get to uefi yet.
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 7:30pm
I think I have bad news for you. If you even can't get to UEFI, plus all the other symptoms you're having, means one thing to me - RMA. Cry
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic