ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 PC works ONLY when underclocked

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
LatinPolarBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LatinPolarBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99 PC works ONLY when underclocked
    Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 1:27am
I currently have an Enermax 800w in my build but haven't programmed it yet. Still getting parts for it. I was concerned with board wouldn't POST but when I got my hands on an older Xeon, I got it to boot and flashed to last released version. This build I've been collecting parts for and almost got everything. Last three things I want are a BlackMagicDesign capture card ($800), I'm leaning towards a Quadro P4000 ($800-900) and 64GB G.Skill DDR4-4000 (~$1200). So, basically when I get the final $3K, I will have all components for the build and install OS and tinker to optimize system. Right now I've got some DDR4-1600 memory in it to POST and an old AMD 5450 in PCIe slot to boot. I will keep you posted when I make further progress... 

Edited by LatinPolarBear - 14 Mar 2018 at 11:01am
Always add a little **RAGE** to it...
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 1:46am
Originally posted by LatinPolarBear LatinPolarBear wrote:

Hey... wanted to check in and give a personal update.

I was able to get my hands onto an old Xeon cpu and flashed my BIOS to recognize the 6950x. Haven't gotten my DDR-4000 memory yet but wanted to see if you had any new luck??? 

LPB. I know X99's are power thieves.

The OPs 1070. That's a 500/550W PSU min GPU.

Any chance in your experience with X99 that they might be on the edge, power wise?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LatinPolarBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 10:37am
Hey... wanted to check in and give a personal update.

I was able to get my hands onto an old Xeon cpu and flashed my BIOS to recognize the 6950x. Haven't gotten my DDR-4000 memory yet but wanted to see if you had any new luck??? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LatinPolarBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 12:53pm
Wow, that's depressing. I'm trying to think of all cpu issues I've encountered. if you have another x99 board or have access to one, try out the cpu. Also, try using different RAM. The timing and speed on memory could be a frequency factor... :-|

I truly wish I could help more.
LegionX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LegionX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 8:21pm

Thank you for your response.
I've downloaded all BIOS versions available on their website,
None of them helped with the issue.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LatinPolarBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 11:53am
I'm a little concerned given I have the same board I'm building a new rig from. However, I'm going to put on my Technician cap to try and help.

Have you tried updating the BIOS? A simple BIOS update can usually resolve the issue. If ASRock sent you back your motherboard and honestly tested it, they might have had a 5000 series CPU.

Your board being able to boot is at least a good sign that it's not DOA. Try to download latest BIOS. Last time a CPU underclocked on me was a Devil's Canyon Core i7 4790K on an Z97 motherboard. After update, everything was A-O-K.

Good luck and do keep me posted...

-LPB

Edited by LatinPolarBear - 01 Jan 2018 at 2:49pm
LegionX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LegionX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 9:38am
Hi Guys,

I have the "badass" AsRock Fatal1ty X99 Professional Gaming i7 motherboard.

It's a beautiful board, but I have a serious issue.

Same thing happens with my I7 6800K and I7 6900K on this motherboard.

The system works ok only when I UNDERCLOCK the CPUs to about 2500MHZ. Stress testing with PRIME95 and OCCT went fine for an hour or so.
When I try to boot up the system with Default setting (All setting on Auto pretty much), it freezes before getting into Windows.
What I tried to do is add voltage manually (CPUs speeds on auto).
There are two setting I played with : CPU Input Voltage, and VCORE.
When I put CPU Input Voltage on 1.9-2.1V, The system boots up ok, but there are occasional freezes and restarts and when I try to run PRIME95 or OCCT, The system freezes immediately.

The other hardware I am trying to make this damn thing work :
Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
Sasmsung EVO 850 500GB
WD RED 3TB
Seasonic Focus 650W Gold 
Noctual D15

I have few other systems to play with, so I checked all other components and they are working well.

The funny thing is, I sent the motherboard to ASRock because logic told me the problem is in the motherboard, but guess what?
They sent the same motherboard and told me it's working properly.

I would really appreciate if anyone can help me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic