ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z370 K6 gaming RAm only works on second boot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thoemse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z370 K6 gaming RAm only works on second boot
    Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 5:31pm
My Z370 K6 gaming running a i7 8700K and G.Skill TridentZ RGB 4266 CL19 16GB memory ahngs on cold boot.
It does however boot once i reset and is very stable afterards. I believe it has to do with the memory but even when I do not run it at XMP settings but with much lower frequencies like 3600mhz  it shows this issue. I tested voltage from 1.35 to 1.41v (they are 1.4v rated).

Any ideas?
Thoemse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thoemse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 11:43pm
Noone has this issue? I get this no matter what RAM speed I set up. A reset makes it boot even at DDR4-4000.
Thoemse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thoemse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 5:05pm
Noone? 
All I'd need is a way to do a slow boot to let the RAM initialize I think considering it runs stable even at DDR4 4000 once it rebooted.

There must be a way to fix it if it runs stable afterwards!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 10:59pm
It sounds voltage related. When the system is first powered on the RAM receives a higher "wake" voltage that gets the modules fired up and ready to initialize. Once the RAM "warms up" it no longer needs this higher voltage which would explain the reboot working. Try bumping your RAM voltage by 0.01v - 0.05v and see if it resolves the issue. 

If not, contact ASRock tech support and provide them with the brand and model number of your RAM, board model and UEFI version and other components in your system. The RAM kit may not be supported properly in the UEFI, if it works and is stable then it should be a simple matter of a BIOS update to get it working properly on first boot. 

Good luck Wink

Edited by Xaltar - 22 Jan 2018 at 11:00pm
Thoemse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thoemse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 4:34pm
The RAM is rated for 1.4v. I tried to go to 1.41v without any luck. 
I am not sure how high I could go before I fry the modules.

Edit: If voltage is the issue shouldn't it boot @ 1.4v at DDR 3000 at least? (It doesn't)

Edited by Thoemse - 25 Jan 2018 at 5:03pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 4:46pm
If the system works and is stable after a reboot I wouldn't take the chance. If it is really bothersome you can send a support ticket to ASRock but otherwise, just wait for the next UEFI update and see if that helps Wink

1.4v for DDR4 is already pretty high, my 3600 kit is 1.35v and my 2800 kit is 1.2v for example. You could try the other way and lower the voltage though and see if that helps. Try for say 3600 at 1.35v and see if you post first try. If you can then in all likelihood you just need a UEFI update. Personally I would go with 1.35v and see how high I can clock the RAM, then tighten timings. It would put less strain on both the RAM and the board. Obviously I mean until you get an update that fixes the cold boot issue.
Thoemse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thoemse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 5:04pm
I tried lower. Fact is the RAM runs stable @ DDR4000 @ 1.35v after a reboot.

1.4v is high but it is rated DDR 4266 1.4v by G.Skill. I am not expecting DDR 4266 either since this is CPU related too to some extent. The problem is it wont POST at 3000 either. It is a board/bios issue. 
Sadly the 1.4 Bios did not change this. :(

I'll contact ASrock support.

Edited by Thoemse - 25 Jan 2018 at 5:06pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 5:25pm
Good luck, let us know how it goes Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic