ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 64Gb of G.Skill F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR on X399 Taichi
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

64Gb of G.Skill F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR on X399 Taichi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meluto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64Gb of G.Skill F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR on X399 Taichi
    Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 11:54pm
Hello here, first time poster but long time user.

I come looking for advice of you fine people, as I have not been able to achieve full 3200mhz speed on my memory in my new rig.

My specs are:

Taichi x399 MB with 2.0 bios
64 gbs of G.Skill F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR (8 modules x 8 gb each), 3200 mhz rated, running at the moment at 2800mhz, 16-15-15-36-51-1T
Ryzen Threadrippe 1950x no OC, temps very well controlled.
Crucial 550MX 1Tb ssd as OS drive and Seagate 4tb hdd for stuff
Couple EVGA SC Black Edition 1080ti in sli with nvidia HB bridge, no OC, 388.71 ver. drivers
SB AE-5 dedicated sound card but also using onboard sound for DTS decode when needed.
All bios settings to default with the exception of immou disable
Windows 10 pro, updated as of Jan, 07, 2018 - Bitdefender AV
G.SKILL RGB control (works fine)

The problem is, no matter how far I relax the timings, or increase the voltage of the memory modules, (as far as to 1.45v) I cannot get to increase the speed to its full advertised potential. 

I have tried populating only 1 to the full 8 slots, even changing their position.

Do you happen to know these mem modules? Would you have some piece of advice?

Thanks in advance. Please ask any question on config/hardware you may need.

php42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote php42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 2:25am
might want to wait for one of the RAM experts here to chime in, but from what i've heard you probably won't get to 3200 with 8 sticks. i'm surprised you even got to 2800. the more sticks you have, the more load you place on the memory controller.

if you're adamant about getting to 3200, google "ryzen DRAM calculator" (don't know if i'm allowed to post links) and follow the instructions to get some sane starting values. you'll just have to play with it until you find something that works.
pay attention to the "Termination block" and "CAD_BUS block" settings as they seem to be very important for stability, along with tRFC. for me, 3200+ wouldn't post at sane timings without very specific termination block and cad bus settings even with only 2 x 8 GB.

EDIT: also try updating BIOS if you haven't already

Edited by php42 - 08 Jan 2018 at 2:36am
Meluto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meluto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 4:47am
Originally posted by php42 php42 wrote:

might want to wait for one of the RAM experts here to chime in, but from what i've heard you probably won't get to 3200 with 8 sticks. i'm surprised you even got to 2800. the more sticks you have, the more load you place on the memory controller.

if you're adamant about getting to 3200, google "ryzen DRAM calculator" (don't know if i'm allowed to post links) and follow the instructions to get some sane starting values. you'll just have to play with it until you find something that works.
pay attention to the "Termination block" and "CAD_BUS block" settings as they seem to be very important for stability, along with tRFC. for me, 3200+ wouldn't post at sane timings without very specific termination block and cad bus settings even with only 2 x 8 GB.

EDIT: also try updating BIOS if you haven't already

Thanks for the answer. 

Very interesting tools you point. I think I had seen them before, but hadn't paid attention. Now I have been fiddling around with them a little, but have had not success yet.

As you suggest, I will wait for our resident gurus to see if there is anything that can be done, or they suggest  but I have that distinct feeling that until something deep into the bios is not updated by asrock, like the agesa code, this is not going to be at the reach of the general users.

Again, very kind coming back, also I have 2.0 as bios, the last one.

Edited by Meluto - 08 Jan 2018 at 4:49am
ssateneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssateneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 5:31am
Also keep in mind of these official ram speed limitations.

Ryzen Threadripper CPUs are subject to similar limitations, just with four memory channels instead of two:
  • Quad-channel, dual-rank, two DIMMs per channel: DDR4-1866
  • Quad-channel, single-rank, two DIMMs per channel: DDR4-2133
  • Quad-channel, dual-rank, one DIMM per channel: DDR4-2400
  • Quad-channel, single-rank, one DIMM per channel: DDR4-2667
a 8GiB modules these days are typically single rank, so you're looking at an official supported speed of 2133MHz. Anything higher than that is overclocking is and not guaranteed. THAT BEING SAID. Have you tried testing 1 DIMM at a time to get closer to rated speeds (still, overclocking, highest official speed is 2666)? Can you get the rated speed on the AMD system? if not, have you tried it on an intel system?

See, manufacturer forum support is all about "getting it working according to specs". If its working to spec, then there is no problem. If you want to run it beyond spec, then you will probably need to find help elsewhere like overclock.net

Edited by ssateneth - 08 Jan 2018 at 5:33am
MB: X399 Taichi, UEFI L3.32
VGA: EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
PSU: Seasonic PRIME 1300 W PLATINUM
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
MEM: 4x16GB, 3600MHz G.Skill Trident Z F4-3600C17Q-64GTZKW
Meluto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meluto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 6:00am
Originally posted by ssateneth ssateneth wrote:

Also keep in mind of these official ram speed limitations.

Ryzen Threadripper CPUs are subject to similar limitations, just with four memory channels instead of two:
  • Quad-channel, dual-rank, two DIMMs per channel: DDR4-1866
  • Quad-channel, single-rank, two DIMMs per channel: DDR4-2133
  • Quad-channel, dual-rank, one DIMM per channel: DDR4-2400
  • Quad-channel, single-rank, one DIMM per channel: DDR4-2667
a 8GiB modules these days are typically single rank, so you're looking at an official supported speed of 2133MHz. Anything higher than that is overclocking is and not guaranteed. THAT BEING SAID. Have you tried testing 1 DIMM at a time to get closer to rated speeds (still, overclocking, highest official speed is 2666)? Can you get the rated speed on the AMD system? if not, have you tried it on an intel system?

See, manufacturer forum support is all about "getting it working according to specs". If its working to spec, then there is no problem. If you want to run it beyond spec, then you will probably need to find help elsewhere like overclock.net

I get the "official" caveat, thanks for the clarification. As everybody, I'm just looking to get the most out of my kit.. mostly -maybe- because it is advertised like an oc'er. 

I have tried the 4 dimms at a time, but with no luck either on achieving the 3200mhz mark.

In any case, imho it seems there are a combination of issues, basically my best guess so far:
1. The agesa code for x399 needs yet to be optimized.
2. Populate all the eights dimms is -to say the least- an additional problem, plataform wise
3. This kit, the G.Skill F4-3200C16Q-32TGZR, maybe was not the best choice for my case; I did not take the time the confirm if it was considered in the QVL list of Asrock, which is not.
Taichi x399 MB
64GB RAM G.Skill - 2x F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR kits
Threadripper 1950x
EKWB water loop, XSPC CPU block
550MX 1Tb ssd & 12Tb hdd
2x EVGA SC BE 1080 ti
SB AE-5 sound
Phantek Enthoo Primo case
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 8:49am
ssatenth, I ask you once again to tell us where you are getting this information.  It is NOT correct!  Please look in my signature.  I am running Quad-channel, single rank, One DIMM per channel: DDR3200.  It is stable and runs great.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
ssateneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ssateneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 11:39am
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7138&KW=1866&PID=42579&title=x399-fat1lty-professional-gaming-problems#42579

https://www.tweaktown.com/image.php?image=imagescdn.tweaktown.com/content/8/3/8360_06_amd-threadripper-system-buyers-guide_full.png

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x (scroll down to system memory and expand it)

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/14/tips-for-building-a-better-amd-ryzen-system

Just because you personally get 3200MHz working doesn't magically mean its the official specced speed. You're overclocking, tried and true. I realize that when Threadripper review kits got sent out, they came with 3200MHz RAM and reviewers used 3200MHz speeds. But these could also be cherry picked to make the product look better; After all, they came in fancy briefcases and included laser-engraved personalized IHS's. Couldn't be much harder to test each set to make sure they work at the higher speeds.

It even says, with less details, right on AMD's site, that threadripper does not officially support any ram speed higher than 2667MHz, and goes into detail on the community.amd.com link below it.

Anyways, yes, it's advertised like an oc'er, as you put it, and yes you are free to oc it, with the freedom of CPU multipliers, and higher RAM dividers 'recently' put into the agesa code, but oc's are not guaranteed. your mileage can and will vary. You've been unable to achieve 3200MHz on your RAM, and that's fine in the eyes of the manufacturer. I use a higher specced kit (3600MHz) and was able to get 3333MHz working, with manually tuned timings and voltages. Maybe if I got my hands on your equipment, I could tune it to work at 2933, 3066, or maybe even 3200. Or maybe not. It could just be luck of the draw.

There are lots of knobs and sliders to adjust to get higher speeds working. RAM voltage. SoC voltage. Command rate. Geardown mode. Bank group swap. CLDO_VDDP voltage, and 'regular' VDDP voltage. Resistance values for CAD bus and data bus, the list goes on. The auto settings may not work for higher speeds since you start walking a razors edge. Too high or too low of a setting causes failure, and thats just the nature of overclocking.

Edited by ssateneth - 08 Jan 2018 at 11:57am
MB: X399 Taichi, UEFI L3.32
VGA: EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
PSU: Seasonic PRIME 1300 W PLATINUM
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
MEM: 4x16GB, 3600MHz G.Skill Trident Z F4-3600C17Q-64GTZKW
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic