ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x370 taichi dr debug codes 00, and 62 [fixed]

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derzelas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x370 taichi dr debug codes 00, and 62 [fixed]
    Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 10:14am
I started a new build which I thought was going to be a piece of cake. It ultimately ended up being the most frustrating build I've ever done thus far (I think I must have build from scratch at least 20 different PCs by now). Here's what I was building:

Ryzen 1800X
ASRock X370 Tai Chi
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-16GTZ
MasterLiquid 120 cooler

From previous build:
Antec CP-850
Antec P180 
Samsung SSD 512 GB + another 6 TB worth of HDDs
EVGA 1080 Ti

What went wrong:

1. The MasterCooler was a massive pain to install (but that I was aware of from the get-go).
2. After installing everything I was getting Dr Debug code 00. This was very scary. Nothing seemed to fix it.
3. My CP-850 PSU didn't have a 8-pin ATX. It had the 4-pin ATX, which the mobo manual says that it's OK to use. That's what I had done. I suspected that maybe it's not OK after all and ordered a PCIe 6 Pin (12v) -> 8 pin ATX conversion cable. This changed the Dr Debug to show code 62.
4. After reading these forums, I thought that (a) I have bad RAM; or (b) I need to RMA the mobo....but I noticed an advice which I did follow:

Turned off the PSU, waited a while, Removed RAM, removed the GeForce card, used the clear CMOS pin. Removed CMOS battery for 15 seconds. Changed pin back. Put the RAM in, put battery back in, and booted the computer without graphics card! This time I got Dr Debug to flash a bunch of codes but in the end there were no more codes displayed. VICTORY? Yes. I added the graphics card and the computer booted up normally.

I cannot believe that trying to just reset the CMOS is not enough with the provided pins. I did that at least 3-4 times before. I cannot believe you actualy have to take the battery out on a motherboard which advertises as a feature that you can in fact clear the CMOS without removing the battery. What is this? 1992?

Additionally, I cannot believe that I had this much trouble with the damn thing. Never - ever - did it take this long to get a damn PC build going. Instead of becoming easier (which I had hoped) to build from scratch, I see that it's becoming _harder_, at least with this mobo / Ryzen combo. I actually don't know if the mobo was at fault all along or what the heck happened.

Thoughts?
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by derzelas derzelas wrote:

I cannot believe that trying to just reset the CMOS is not enough with the provided pins.

Thoughts?

Many people laugh when I suggest them my even more hardcore CMOS reset method. At first they laugh, then they cry.

Oddly, this is not limited to a single mobo model or manufacturer. While I use only ASUS (and 1 Taichi) for my personal needs, I've assembled many other brands for friends and clients. I've seen CMOS not being reset properly w/ jumper on many of them.
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic