ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi boot from NVME not working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Taichi boot from NVME not working
    Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 9:40am
Hey everyone... New to the forum and to the Ryzen platform. Just finished a new build of a Ryzen 1700 on a Taichi x370 board, 16bg qualified GSkill ram 3200. I've got a 240gb SSD from my old machine that was my C drive. I've installed a new Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSD on the Tiachi to use as my C drive. I cloned my original SSD to the EVO (I know, not recommended, but I wanted to see if it would work). Backup worked correctly and the clone looks good. I try to set the NVMe as the first boot drive, but when I do, the machine starts to boot for a few seconds, then restarts. It does this maybe 2 or 3 times, then boots up with the original SSD drive as the boot drive!?! 

How do I get the machine to recognize the NVMe drive as the system boot drive?

Thanks for your help!
G. Casper
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 2:43pm
disconnect your old ssd
use windows usb/cd to repair boot files
if windows repair will tell if that it is inpossible to do, then either u will need to do it manually or reinstall windows
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 9:11pm
did you use the included samsung clone software ?

if so then this may point to the issue,,,,,,

its quite frankly useless !

a quick google search reveals many other softwares to choose over it

to be honest though the far better option is to just install a fresh install direct to the nvme
you can use your old drive to then tranfer files over and still be able to use your old windows coa/account
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
gcasper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 7:27am
No, I use a product called Casper. It's an excellent backup/image/cloning program.
G. Casper
Prodif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prodif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 12:15pm
gcasper
Execute clean installation, everything normally works, almost.

Edited by Prodif - 30 Jan 2018 at 12:16pm
ASRock x370 Taichi (bios v2.36) / Ryzen-1800X / Crucial CT16G4DFD824A x2 / GPU: AMD R9 NANO / SSD NVMe Samsung 960 PRO MZ-V6P1T0BW (M.2) / HDD SATA 3TB x6 / PSU: Corsair AX860i
ps. RedDragon, by AG
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 12:25am
gcasper, it has been years since I used cloning SW (XP).  Doesn't Casper set the environment  to allow booting of the end result of the clone?  I would think it would create the proper settings and take care of making sure the proper boot files are in the proper locations.  Are you trying to do a legacy or UEFI boot?  What is the state of CSM?  All this suggest you should consider contacting Casper technical support.  Perhaps Ryzen/TR support needs some attention.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
gcasper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 2:39am
UPDATE: Disconnected my SSD, let the NVME boot once, now all is well. My system is booting from the NVME with no problems.

Thanks everyone!
G. Casper
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic