ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty X370 ITX/ac BIOS 3.60 soft brick

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonMZW20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty X370 ITX/ac BIOS 3.60 soft brick
    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 at 7:10pm
Flashed via Instant Flash from original board 3.00 BIOS to bridge 3.60 BIOS. I didn't see any requirements for sequential BIOS version updates. I have a Ryzen 5 2400G on order, so I was trying to flash to 4.40 to get it ready. 3.00 worked without issue, btw.

Using:
Ryzen 1700X (borrowed from my other build)
Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVMe
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws F4-2800C15D-16VRB
+GPU listed below

Seemed successful at first. The motherboard would boot, but wouldn't output display from PCIe (Asus R9 280 DC2T). Turned everything off, cleared CMOS via jumper then reset jumper to pins 1-2, reinstalled GPU and all cables. Powered on and it still didn't display anything, but worse, there was no power to USB keyboard and mouse and my flash drive powered down after initial insertion. So, now, there's no POST.

So, I'm not sure what happened, but this is the first time in at least 10 years that I've experienced a botched BIOS update. I've already submitted for RMA, but this board really needs a BIOS recovery function on one of the onboard USB ports.

Frustrating.

Edited by JasonMZW20 - 07 Feb 2018 at 7:25pm
wino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 12:05am
Did you reset/clear CMOS before update?
| AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac 10.08 BIOS | Ryzen 5 5600 | G.Skill Flare X 2x8GB @ 3400 14-14-14-28 | Zotac GTX 1050 Ti | Kingston KC3000 1 TB M.2 | SilentiumPC Supremo M2 Gold 550W V2 |
JasonMZW20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonMZW20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 4:48am
That would've been unnecessary as it was brand new and was updated on 1st boot. Everything was still set at defaults.
QdemSoftly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QdemSoftly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 4:48am
Originally posted by JasonMZW20 JasonMZW20 wrote:

Flashed via Instant Flash from original board 3.00 BIOS to bridge 3.60 BIOS. I didn't see any requirements for sequential BIOS version updates. I have a Ryzen 5 2400G on order, so I was trying to flash to 4.40 to get it ready. 3.00 worked without issue, btw.

Using:
Ryzen 1700X (borrowed from my other build)
Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVMe
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws F4-2800C15D-16VRB
+GPU listed below

Seemed successful at first. The motherboard would boot, but wouldn't output display from PCIe (Asus R9 280 DC2T). Turned everything off, cleared CMOS via jumper then reset jumper to pins 1-2, reinstalled GPU and all cables. Powered on and it still didn't display anything, but worse, there was no power to USB keyboard and mouse and my flash drive powered down after initial insertion. So, now, there's no POST.

So, I'm not sure what happened, but this is the first time in at least 10 years that I've experienced a botched BIOS update. I've already submitted for RMA, but this board really needs a BIOS recovery function on one of the onboard USB ports.

Frustrating.

First of all, did you reset your Bios setting before flashing? this is very important process.
QdemSoftly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QdemSoftly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 4:55am

That would've been unnecessary as it was brand new and was updated on 1st boot. Everything was still set at defaults.

Seems like the board failed itself, try remove 1 of your ram, and reset your Bios via CMOS Jumper, try to boot your system if it's work, just flash again with single ram with older version of bios and then flash the version of bios you tried last time again with single DIMM, if it's worked then just put 2 of your memories to your DIMM again, my friend had this issue before. and this process solved the issue. If it's not worked for you, go RMA.

Edited by QdemSoftly - 08 Feb 2018 at 5:28am
JasonMZW20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonMZW20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 5:54am
Originally posted by QdemSoftly QdemSoftly wrote:

[URL=][/URL]

Seems like the board failed itself, try remove 1 of your ram, and reset your Bios via CMOS Jumper, try to boot your system if it's work, just flash again with single ram with older version of bios and then flash the version of bios you tried last time again with single DIMM, if it's worked then just put 2 of your memories to your DIMM again, my friend had this issue before. and this process solved the issue. If it's not worked for you, go RMA.

I did all of that before posting here. It didn't work, sadly. Tried 1 stick in A1 and 1 stick in B1. Even did a battery pull.

A bit frustrated because ASRock wants me to return it to Newegg since it's less than 30 days old, but I already cut off the UPC barcode for a mail-in rebate (as it was working fine on BIOS 3.00). I still have the barcode, but I doubt Newegg would accept a return with it taped back on.
jhboricua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhboricua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 6:10am
I'm on the same boat as Jason after applying the 3.60 BIOS. Flash completed without errors, PC rebooted to a black screen. It will run for a minute or so, then I could see the CPU fan spinning down/up and the power led turn off/on at the same time, then the whole thing kept repeating over and over.

I'm not a newbie and I followed the steps on ASRock's support site to the letter, which by the way, say NOTHING about having to perform a BIOS/CMOS reset prior to updating, so I'm not buying that this is a crucial step to perform. I've never had to do that on any of my builds. Only after flashing the new BIOS I do load default settings per the manufacturer's instructions.

Extremely annoyed at the moment that I'm going to have to RMA this.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 1:53am
Originally posted by jhboricua jhboricua wrote:

I'm on the same boat as Jason after applying the 3.60 BIOS. Flash completed without errors, PC rebooted to a black screen. It will run for a minute or so, then I could see the CPU fan spinning down/up and the power led turn off/on at the same time, then the whole thing kept repeating over and over.

I'm not a newbie and I followed the steps on ASRock's support site to the letter, which by the way, say NOTHING about having to perform a BIOS/CMOS reset prior to updating, so I'm not buying that this is a crucial step to perform. I've never had to do that on any of my builds. Only after flashing the new BIOS I do load default settings per the manufacturer's instructions.

Extremely annoyed at the moment that I'm going to have to RMA this.

ok if i may explain

imagine this ,you tweak a bios ,you get a great cpu overclock and the ram is hyperspeed

it plays a game or two ok but can stutter or drop a frame or once a week it gives a soft crash back to desktop

this is instability of the overclock, basically its data errors ......now what if that happens when writing the blocks of data to the bios chip ?  just one data error while doing so will frack the bios up, and it not windows it dosnt reset itself on a reboot like a windows crash

sooooooooooo  WHEN FLASHING A BIOS always reset defaults first and after,just the same as you never should be installing windows when over clocked
it just common sense have everything turned down/off for critical data protection and copying
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
jhboricua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhboricua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 2:45am
I understand what you're saying but I don't overclock. Never saw the point in doing it. You're making a recommendation, but it is not a requirement for succesfully flashing a bios. Posts stating that it is a critical step or implying that the failure was due to not doing it are a matter of opinion.

This is the second time in over 20 years that flashing a bios has bricked my build, and I'm inclined not to count the first one since I was flashing a hacked bios to a HP Microserver in order to enable AHCI on all sata ports. So maybe the law of probabilities got in my way.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 4:41am
even xmp is an overclock

and even more so with the am4 platform xmp just cant be called very stable for many many boards and bios
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic