ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ryzen 2400G does prefer dual channel ram

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ryzen 2400G does prefer dual channel ram
    Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 4:06am
theres been a little debate/chat here in last few days
about single or dual channel for ther new ryzen apus (2200g &2400g )

it seems they quite drastically do work much better in games with dual channel
as the linked video below shows (bryan at techyescity) seems to do good testing and advice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-WMpcTVykc
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Dazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 4:31pm
dammit, so i need i second stick after all
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 4:59pm
Yup, to me this was a no brainer but I have been involved with GPUs, game development and other related IT fields long enough to have a pretty deep understanding of the relationship between memory bandwidth and FPS.

The simple explanation is in the name, Dual Channel. This means double the data path which = double the maximum bandwidth for communication between the CPU (and iGPU) and the RAM. With APUs it seems to equate to about 40% lower fps in single channel. Certainly not ideal when the iGPU isn't exactly a beast to begin with. 

Sadly, this means go dual channel or don't waste your time. Honestly, you would be better off buying a cheap, used i5 system and throwing a GT 1030 in there for the same money or less than going single channel on an APU. Hopefully memory prices come down soon. On the up side, dual channel 2133 is a lot better than single channel 3200 so if you can find used DDR4 on the cheap that would do you well, especially if you can overclock it to 2400+. 
stree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 7:31pm
Been doing a hour or so googling this..............I  have dual rank Crucial 2400and single rank Corsair.3200'  Both are dual channel 2 x 8GB kits.
Seems general rule that dual  rank , dual channel is best
single rank single channel worst.
However,   some single rank with advanced overclocking can outperform dual rank. But this is very much the exception rather than the rule.
Seems it is common that dual rank 2933 outperforms single rank 3200.
These are the points that  seemed most notable, and verified across various forums.
I know I should link or name them, but I was just ploughing through them for cross referencing.

Edited by stree - 16 Feb 2018 at 7:34pm
ASRock X370-ITX BIOS 4.50
R5 2600    Cryorig C7
EVGA GTX 950 75w
2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 2933
960Evo M.2 256GB, Firecuda 1TB
Win 10 Pro 64 1803
G-Unique Archdaemon 300 Watt
Lian-li Q21B
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 9:02pm
Thanks for the added info Stree. Even single rank RAM is fine for these APUs so long as it is in dual channel (2 modules).

For anyone confused: 

Dual rank = RAM chips on both sides of the RAM module and 
Single rank = RAM chips on only one side of the module. 

This is not the same as dual or single channel which refers to the number of data paths from the RAM to the system. You can't access both paths on a dual channel capable system with only one RAM module installed, you need to have 2 modules inserted into the correct slots for dual channel functionality. Even with 4 RAM slots these slots are grouped: 
A1, A2 and B1, B2 

1 represents one channel and 2 the other and A and B represent the banks so for dual channel at least one module must be installed in each bank on the same channel, A1 and B1 or A2 and B2 but not A1 and B2 or A2 and B1. Going up to triple and quad channel the same rules follow through, each populated bank must have a module in the same corresponding channel to those installed in other banks. 

Beginners tip for the day Tongue
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 3:16am
then overclock the frack out of everything ! 
Tongue

seems possible to get EITHER 3.9 ghz from the cpu OR 1350+ from the gpu with stock cooler

which should mean some very nice gains with a decent aftermarket cooler and a solid example of a b350 board with good vrm's

keep your eyes peeled for some seriously fantastic price reductions on x370 boards now the 470's are due (if your thinking of a cpu upgrade in next few years)
a friend of mine just grabbed a x370 board reduced from its launch price of £300 down to £125 !
brand new excess stock from a major uk retailer

[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 3:46am
Absolutely, overclocking makes everything better Big smile

I am hoping to pick up an R5 or R3 APU for my X370 Gaming K4 board, I have some 2800 RAM waiting to go into it Smile

Quote keep your eyes peeled for some seriously fantastic price reductions on x370 boards now the 470's are due (if your thinking of a cpu upgrade in next few years)a friend of mine just grabbed a x370 board reduced from its launch price of £300 down to £125 !
brand new excess stock from a major uk retailer

This has got to be the best thing about AMD, socket longevity. Sure you can get the latest chipset board but if you already have a board for that socket, odds are, you will be set for a good few generations, especially if you have a high end model Cool
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic