ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z370 Extreme4 boots twice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chugasaurus92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z370 Extreme4 boots twice
    Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 5:05pm
Hi there, I'm fairly new to the world of PC so I hope I'm not being too naive here.

Every time I turn on my PC it boots twice, first it powers up, 'clicks' out, then boots again and works perfectly fine the second time. I've researched this a little and seems someone has had a similar issue: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6684&title=z370-extreme4-xmp-issues-other-mobo-issues

But their spec and problem is not exactly the same as I'm not sure it's related to the RAM. 

I have an intel i7 8700, which looks to sit at 3.19GHz all the time? Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB RAM (2x8GB) DDR4 3000 with the model number CMK16GX4M2B3000C15, which is recognised on the mobo compatibility list. My power supply is a Corsair RMx 550 which works perfectly fine as far as I can see. Any other details that would help please let me know. Hope I can find some help with this peculiar issue! Thanks!
JoseyWhales View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoseyWhales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 2:21pm
[URL=][/URL]Mine booted twice, because of the same exact memory that you have. Have you tried memtest86+? I got new RAM(same kind) and so far: No issues, as of yet, I'm just waiting on my RMA'd(by mistake)GPU. My first pass I got around 30 errors, right away. The second RAM stick yielded no errors, at first until the next day, it was the only one in it, and it gave off over 1100 errors; The RAM isn't even suppose to have 1 error. Are your RAM sticks inside (A2, B2)? If you suspect faulty RAM by memtest, or windows "memory diagnostic" BSoD's and such, then i'd wager it's your RAM. If it's your brand new RAM, then get a replacement from wherever you ordered it from quickly.

Edited by JoseyWhales - 05 Apr 2018 at 2:34pm
JoseyWhales View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoseyWhales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 2:37pm
Also, my DRAM voltage is automatically sitting at 1.36v, what does yours read?
ssateneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssateneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 5:08pm
If your PC doesn't have any errors or issues or rolling back of settings, then I wouldn't worry about it. Consider it part of normal bootup process.
MB: X399 Taichi, UEFI L3.32
VGA: EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
PSU: Seasonic PRIME 1300 W PLATINUM
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
MEM: 4x16GB, 3600MHz G.Skill Trident Z F4-3600C17Q-64GTZKW
chugasaurus92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chugasaurus92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 6:14am
Good to know thank you!! I haven't tried memtest86+ yet no, first I've heard of it but looks very useful so I will check that out this weekend when I'm off work. Will also get back to you with my DRAM voltage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chugasaurus92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 2:57pm
Just tried Windows Memory Diagnostic and it came back with 0 faults, I can try memtest86+ also. My RAM is an slots A2 and B2 and it's voltage is 1.35v if I remember correctly.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 5:51pm
Disable XMP and see if it still does a power cycle before posting. Usually things like this are caused by RAM training. The system tries to post with the XMP settings, fails, restarts then succeeds on the second try. This is usually caused by either incompatible RAM, this varies in severity from not working at all to issues like you described, or unstable overclocks on the RAM. Sometimes upping the voltage by a fraction resolves the issue so from 1.35v to 1.36/1.37. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chugasaurus92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 2:56pm
Setting XMP to auto does seem to have done the trick! Swear I did this before but I think it read my RAM as 2133, now it's reading it correctly at 3000MHz. Thanks for the help all, will report back if I find any other anomalies. Also good luck JoseyWhales on getting a working GPU !
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 3:55pm
Thanks for letting us know Wink

Enjoy the new build Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chugasaurus92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 4:11pm
Slight update! Setting my XMP to auto reverts my RAM back to 2133 MHz like I thought it might! Any recommendations on how to set it to 3000 manually? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic