ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - AB350 Pro 4 bios 4.7 drive compatibility is balls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 Pro 4 bios 4.7 drive compatibility is balls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solace50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350 Pro 4 bios 4.7 drive compatibility is balls
    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 2:12pm
Ive had nothing but issues with this ASrock board since I finally put my build together, so far support has offered to RMA the board, my response being lol to them because its a microcode update that's required and me wasting money on shipping is not going to fix it unless an alternate board or chipset is being distributed in the return. I feel as if the problem is going to persist for a while since development is going to cater to new releases and not existing unfortunately.

The ASM2016 Promontory chipset is quite awful apparently (I believe this is what drives A1/A2 Sata ports). I'm running 6 drives, 2 256 850 pro on 1/2, a intel 330 on 3, tosiba 3tb hdd on 4, A1/A2 are the 128gb 850 pro. The configuration is suppose to be main OS on the 256gb drives in raid 0 and a windows raid configuration for the 128gb drives.

In this configuration the RAID post menu does not show A1/A2 128gb drives and only the first four drives. Initially I figured the extra chipset handling those two ports is not able to be configured with the raid controller of which I was wrong after another issues was found and rectified by changing the drives/ports which is explained in detail.

In windows the drives are detected by windows but upon loading my vmware images which appeared to be balls slow for some odd reason (which are on the 128gb drives in windows striped) to the point of eventually hard-locking the system requiring a reset. I found this out by running crystal disk mark on the drives and getting absurd read/write speeds for all tests compared to my main raid. I humored myself by changing the 128gb 850s to 3/4 and moving the hdd and Intel drive to A1/A2. Needless to say running the bench mark yielded the appropriate speeds. I'm sure the response to this is going to be a drive is bad or something along those lines. Its is most definitely not if I can run a bench for 3 hours of read/write operations and not lock up my machine where as before it would die in under 3 minutes on the other sata interfaces.

On top of everything after the configuration change I noticed the RAID post setup was detecting all 6 drives, so if i really wanted to raid the 128gb drives (which I really don't want to) I could. Though the RAID post setup also states for my Intel 330 and 3TB HDD that they are in Raid Offline mode... These two drives are not in any raid config nor have they ever been lol.

PS. the intel 330 and HDD in A1/A2 non raided perform just fine, the board is not damaged and all signs point to terrible microcode support and drivers within the OS (Latest drivers packages are installed from AMD)

1. The bios needs proper support to detect drives properly when RAID is enabled (My SSD's are not ancient nor are they unpopular lol...)
2. Windows needs proper driver support for the drives in Raid 0 (I believe the drivers that were in use was a windows driver when I checked the raid devices in windows despite the AMD raid drivers are installed)
3. The Raid controller needs to recognize drives properly even though they are not in a raid configuration nor is there any meta data/files that could possibly trigger a Offline mode state (Note I cannot press CTRL R anymore to enter raid setup after changing the drives around lol...) another issue which I had to clear CMOS to get around after the bios update also returns after changing drives between sata ports.

Ive never seen such poor quality in my lifetime of building multiple towers for both commercial and personal use. There is another issue outstanding but that's going into another thread as this was lengthy enough.

If by some oddball chance this actually gets addressed ill be more than happy to provide any additional information requested to my drives if ASrock is somehow unable to source the hardware to troubleshoot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic