ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Machine Won't POST

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny782 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Machine Won't POST
    Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 11:56am
I just built a brand new machine

ASRock H97 Performance - BIOS P1.70
i5-4960
2 DD3 1600 DIMM's  -  Corsair cmz8gx3m2a1600c9

I just get 3 fast beeps, I tried the memory using A1/B1 and A2/B2
I tried BIOS 1 and BIOS 2
I tried clearing the BIOS

CPU says it's supported on all BIOS versions

Out of ideas.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 1:21pm
Hi and welcome to the forums.

Could you list the rest of the specs of your system please. 3 short, fast beeps is usually display related but without knowing what video source you are using I can't really help you. 
kenny782 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny782 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Could you list the rest of the specs of your system please. 3 short, fast beeps is usually display related but without knowing what video source you are using I can't really help you. 

Just integrated graphics, VGA monitor connected to load windows.
I got it to boot, I accidentally hit power with only one DIMM in B2.

I put the other DIMM in B1 and the machine still boots and is working fine but with the memory running in single channel mode.

I know this memory is Dual Channel but the motherboard seems to disagree.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 2:38pm
Three short beeps is the AMI UEFI/BIOS code for a basic memory problem.

Since both DIMMs work in the B channel, did you try just one in slot A2 with nothing in channel B?

Be careful seating the DIMMs in their slots, that is a common mistake. With a DIMM in a slot, look at the edge of the DIMM slot. You should not see any of the gold contacts above the top of the DIMM slot.

Other reasons for one memory channel not working are bent CPU pins in the socket, something shorting a pin under the mother board for the A channel in your case, or a defective board.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 3:03pm
Thanks Parsec, I mistook the code for the 1 long 2 short that happens with display problems. The 3 short beeps is indeed memory related.

Do what Parsec suggested and test the A slots. More often than not the problem is caused by the RAM slots still being very snug on new systems and the RAM as a result not being properly seated.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 3:14pm
I wish that board had a Dr Debug display, but the beep codes should be enough.

I am soooo careful with memory slots and DIMMs, this board looks like it has moving clips on both ends of the DIMM slots, so should be less chance of seating issues.

I'm worried about bent CPU socket pins or a defective board, IF the A channel seems to be dead.
kenny782 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny782 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 11:57pm
A is definitely using one or two dimm's.
B works with one or two dim's.

I'm building this for someone for her son's 18th birthday starting college in GA.
I'm supposed to mail it by Monday so I may be screwed.

I saw a bunch of reviews people loving these when they worked, but a lot complaining about these being DOA, I should have listened grr....
kenny782 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny782 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 11:58pm
I could rip off the cooler and reseat the CPU but if it wasn't seated properly and all that force of the CPU from the socket the damage is done. Reseating might just make it worse....
kenny782 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny782 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 11:12am
Found 2 pins bent, a 20 megapixel camera to have a good look and a really small flat head and everything seems to be working now.

Ran a memory test and everything came up okay. I tried every possible combination of DIMM's and all was happy
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 12:13pm
That is fantastic news, congratulations on straitening the pins, that isn't easy to do Thumbs Up 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic