ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6 CPU Voltage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ectomobile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6 CPU Voltage
    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 10:04pm
I've been working on a new build over the last week, and here are all the components.

CPU Cooler: Corsair - H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($134.51 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($124.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($92.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2032.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-18 09:56 EDT-0400 

Since I put everything together I have been getting IRQL BSOD errors which have made my machine basically unusable. At first I was able to use windows for an extended period of time before a BSOD, but it eventually degraded to a BSOD as soon as windows launched. I had been troubleshooting this issue for the last week without much luck. Two days ago I noticed that my asrock was supplying 1.136 volts to my CPU (this is with the latest BIOS and all stock settings). I'm not an overclocker but that voltage seemed to be a bit low to me so I consulted reddit for an answer. Some people seemed to agree, and suggested I try manually upping the voltage. Last night I set the voltage to 1.2 and now everything seems to be running stable!

My question is this... what gives? Is this a bad CPU? A bad motherboard? A bad PSU? I'm an experienced builder and have never had to manually tweak the voltage to get a stock CPU to run stable. Does anyone have any insights?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 12:28am
I am going to assume you have already cleared CMOS (likely more than once in a week of troubleshooting). The issue is present even at factory defaults? If you have not already, it may be worth pulling the CPU, cleaning it's contacts and reinstalling it. If something non conductive coated the pins responsible for the CPUs internal voltage sensors etc it could also cause the issue.  

We haven't seen any other instances of your issue here on the forums so I would be willing to bet it isn't the BIOS. If cleaning and reinstalling the CPU doesn't work I would RMA the it, particularly because the issue got worse as time went on. The CPU's voltage regulation circuits could be degrading. If this were a system out of warranty I would suggest just using it with the manual voltage minimum but if you can return it, you should. 

Good luck and keep us posted Thumbs Up

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 12:32am
Oh, also make sure your AIO block isn't clamped down too hard/unevenly. I have seen this cause poor contact or force pins off their landing pads on the CPU in the past. This has only been an issue since Intel made the substrate thinner with Skylake and onward. I much prefer the thumb screw mounting method used on Corsair AIOs to other methods but it is pretty easy to clamp it down too hard or unevenly. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic