ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

A320M-HDV, Bristol Ridge, ECC RAM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikvils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A320M-HDV, Bristol Ridge, ECC RAM
    Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 7:47pm
Hello, everyone!
I know that Pinnacle and Summit work in ECC mode.
I know that Raven does not, only PRO versions, as most of ASRock mobos specifications states.
I just can't find any exact information about Bristol+ECC.

I have new ASRock A320M-HDV and A8-9600 and have 10 days fo return them back to store (bought with a big short-time discount).
Does the line "AMD 7th Gen A-Series APUs support DDR4 2400/2133 ECC & non-ECC, un-buffered memory" means exactly what it tells and ECC memory will work in ECC mode in this setup? Or I need, as with Raven, PRO version of this APU? There are also some statements on forums that one needs 2 sticks of ram for ECC mode to be enabled and working.
I would really appreciate some clarifying about all this little mess.

Would have check all this by myself but there is just no memory from QVL in my local stores and returning non-malfunctioning memory to some internet store is complicated in my case.

Edited by Nikvils - 26 Apr 2018 at 7:50pm
JohnM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 11:01pm
Some AM4 motherboards allow you to install ECC RAM, while some won't POST. However none have support for the ECC function. If your use case requires ECC you'll need to use Threadripper or Epyc.
ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 ITX P4.90, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, 2x8GB Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2666C16, 250GB Samsung 960EVO, 500GB Samsung 850EVO, 4TB WD Blue, Windows 10 Pro 64, Corsair SF450, Cooler Master Elite 110
cristy6100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 1:54am
Take from another forum:

"Bristol Ridge does support ECC, the problem is that you can't use ECC with x16 chips (because ECC is 72-bit), so with 8GB of RAM and 8Gbit chips you have to choose between non-ECC/ECC single channel with x8 chips and non-ECC dual channel with x16 chips. 4Gbit don't have this problem but will become obsolete especially when 18nm ramps up, and DRAM prices should decline when that happens..."

My notes on this: 

On ASRock there are three ECC-related settings (DRAM scrub time/Redirect scrubber control/Data Poisoning) but no setting/option for logging corected/un-corected errors, also there is no ECC enable/disable switch, its always enabled on ASRock boards (at least X370/AB350, for the rest, you need to check for yourself).

Your only true answer  will come after you test it yourself if it works or not by plugging the memory modules and checking if ECC is enabled in Windows, to do this run the following in a CMD with admin privilages:

wmic MEMORYCHIP get DataWidth,TotalWidth

If the TotalWidth value is larger than the DataWidth value you have ECC memory.

Also take a read here for more info on Ryzen and ECC, it should apply to Bristol Ridge also some of it:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/75030-ecc-memory-amds-ryzen-deep-dive-2.html

PS: As I said only Un-Buffered ECC is supported so you cannot used Registered ECC RAM, and no official support is given on AM4 for ECC, if it works hooray, if it doesn't ... you get my point.

Cheers

Edited by cristy6100 - 30 Apr 2018 at 2:09am
Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 2400G | ASRock Fatality X370 ITX/ac UEFI 4.90 | Corsair LPX DDR4 2400@3200 1.35V | Corsair RM650i PSU | CM ML120L AiO Cooler
JohnM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 11:55am
Except that it doesn't... ever, on any stand alone AM4 motherboard yet made, with the possible exception of those made for the elusive Dell/Lenovo/HP workstations fitted with the equally elusive Ryzen Pro CPUs.

ECC needs to be supported in four places for it to work: the CPU, the RAM, the motherboard wiring between the CPU and the RAM and the BIOS. It's the latter two that let you down.

ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 ITX P4.90, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, 2x8GB Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2666C16, 250GB Samsung 960EVO, 500GB Samsung 850EVO, 4TB WD Blue, Windows 10 Pro 64, Corsair SF450, Cooler Master Elite 110
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 3:46pm
Except they do, I dont know where you got your info from but its wrong, almost all AM4 manufacturers support ECC, same was for all AM3/AM3+ platforms with some minor exceptions.

Here is anoter response by ASRock support themselves (the response was not for me, it's from a user on another forum) :

I asked about ECC support for a specific ASRock motherboard. This was the reply I got from them:

Hello,

Yes, all our AM4 motherboards support ECC (and ECC function).

We have not tested KVR24E17S8/8MA. But based on the specifications that I could find, I expect that these 
modules will work fine with our AM4 motherboards and that CPU.
When using a single module please install it in slot A2. If you are using 2 modules then please install them in 
A2 and B2.
Kind regards,
ASRock Support
PS:Also if you need ECC option for Disable/Enable just send them a email and they will gladly send you a new UEFI with the option present.But first check if system boots with you pair of ECC modules. Then check as I said above in Windows ECC

Edited by cristy6100 - 30 Apr 2018 at 3:51pm
Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 2400G | ASRock Fatality X370 ITX/ac UEFI 4.90 | Corsair LPX DDR4 2400@3200 1.35V | Corsair RM650i PSU | CM ML120L AiO Cooler
JohnM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:01pm
In that case, why are you being so shy? Name the motherboard in question and I'll order one right away. You'd be doing me a great favour. When I've tested it I'll spread the word to others looking for a solution. I'll even point them to this thread in acknowledgement of your superior knowledge. Thank you so much.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 11:23pm
Your Fatality AB350 from your sig. has support for ECC unbuffered memory, but not with the 2400G, with Bristol Ridge/Summit Ridge, Raven Ridge/Pinnacle Ridge with current 1.0.0.1a has ECC disabled for the moment

PS: All X370/B350/X470/B450 from ASRock support ECC, even A320 supports ECC.

The problem is not the ECC itself but rater the memory modules to be compatible with the motherboard, this is a problem for non-ECC memory also on the AM4 platform, so the only option is to test the modules themselves and if they boot, they will support the ECC function.
Support meaning the traces from the socket to the memory slots are there, the UEFI has ECC enabled all the time and it offers options to configure some of its settings but not all, if you want an enable/disable option for ECC send a mail to ASRock and they will send you a UEFI, but they offer no official support for ECC memory on AM4, it might work or it might not, my personal take its that ECC memory is useless on the AM4, if you need ECC functionality 100% then you clearly need to look in the EPYC platform, but if you only have ECC modules at your disposal (this is what I understand the thread starter wants, they they will surely work).
Not even Threadripper offers official support for ECC memory. EPYC is the only one with official support.
But AM4/TR4 offer unnoficial ECC (read "UnBuffered" non registered ECC), as I said above Summit Ridge/Bristol Ridge have ECC in memory controller, ASRock has the traces on all motherboards, and offers 99% UEFI support, the rest depends soley on the RAM modules themselves.

Cheers

Edited by cristy6100 - 30 Apr 2018 at 11:34pm
Soren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 7:39am
What is the difference between 100% ECC function and less than 100% ECC function?

Is the ECC correcting any errors or not?

Edited by Soren - 17 May 2018 at 6:19am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic