ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 990FX Extreme9 Not posting w/10 TB HDD [SOLVED]
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

990FX Extreme9 Not posting w/10 TB HDD [SOLVED]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 10:03pm
So idealy, I should try to find another 10 TB hard drive that doesn't specify NAS specifications, to avoid this power disable feature?  Is that what you're getting at / my understanding?

I ask because I'm honestly trying to figure this out and reduce headaches for myself in the future (this entire thing has been a wicked curve ball).  So any help / tid bit of information is greatly appreciated.
Asrock 990FX Extreme9, 8350x @4.6, 32GB, Samsung Evo 850, GTX 1080, 6 HDDs totaling 11 TB.
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 10:58pm
u can keep this one, just diconnect 3.3v line (should be orange)

on this picture u can see 5 pin cable (12v/gnd/5v/gnd/3.3v)
feel free to cut orange 3.3v, its not used by any device and isolate it
or get molex to sata adapter, which is almost free + shipping :P

as for that feature...hmm its handy if harddrive freezes for some reason, so u just reset that drive through software (even from phone), instead of teh need to open your nas drive rack (which can be hassle if its server rack)
but without supported rack/case its useless anyway

Edited by kerberos_20 - 03 May 2018 at 11:00pm
MattD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by kerberos_20 kerberos_20 wrote:

u can keep this one, just diconnect 3.3v line (should be orange)

on this picture u can see 5 pin cable (12v/gnd/5v/gnd/3.3v)
feel free to cut orange 3.3v, its not used by any device and isolate it
or get molex to sata adapter, which is almost free + shipping :P

as for that feature...hmm its handy if harddrive freezes for some reason, so u just reset that drive through software (even from phone), instead of teh need to open your nas drive rack (which can be hassle if its server rack)
but without supported rack/case its useless anyway

In efforts to keep the thread from being polluted by that image, i removed it from the quote.  Yes, i read about that in my quick research.  Instead of cutting it, i'd try to remove the cable plug entirely from the sata cable connection bracket there. I also have a molex to sata adaptor somewhere, it just depends on which i'd rather do. 

Once home and i have a few minutes, I'll get on this to see how everything plays out.  Thumbs Up
Asrock 990FX Extreme9, 8350x @4.6, 32GB, Samsung Evo 850, GTX 1080, 6 HDDs totaling 11 TB.
JohnM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 12:11am
There's more information in the HGST link I gave in the 4th post to this thread.
ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 ITX P4.90, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, 2x8GB Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2666C16, 250GB Samsung 960EVO, 500GB Samsung 850EVO, 4TB WD Blue, Windows 10 Pro 64, Corsair SF450, Cooler Master Elite 110
MattD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 5:40am
Interesting but good news. 

So i tried a test with the 10TB hard drive with another computer.  For whatever reason, it fired right up without a hitch.

BUT, given the information here about the orange wire and the PSU, my PSU is a legacy PSU. Once I disconnected (a pair of plyers and it all but jumped out), the machine started up without a hitch.

I then tested it in the WIP system with the Corsair; same deal. worked flawlessly. 

Thank you to all who contributed!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic