ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

CMOS reset with added RAM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CMOS reset with added RAM
    Posted: 07 May 2018 at 6:32am
Can I simply insert a second memory stick in the B2 slot (first stick is in the B1 slot) on my B250M-Pro4 motherboard?  Or, do I need to reset the CMOS?  If so, how and what will happen when I reboot after resetting the CMOS?
Steve
badbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 6:39am
I suggest you insert the new ram as the manual states: priority1 is A2 and B2, priority2 is A1 and B1.
Since you have ram already in B1 try new stick in A1, if it gives issues then move ram to A2 and B2 and reset CMOS. You may need to go into BIOS and change BOOT order after reset.
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=99573335296
SteveN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 6:55am
Thanks for the reply.  Sorry, first memory stick is in A2 and I know to insert the second into B2.  I am more uneasy about resetting the CMOS than adding the memory.
Steve
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 10:15am

Dear Steven,

Thank you for choosing ASRock.

Regarding your question, ASRock suggests our customer choose the identical memory modules, include the memory brand, capacity, and frequency.

Two different memory kits version might be different, may cause the system unstable.

We also provide the memory QVL for reference, all the memory modules on the list have been tested and can works properly.

https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/B250M%20Pro4/index.asp#Memory

Thank you!

Yours truly,

ASRock TSD

SteveN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 2:10pm
Thanks for the reply.  I have ordered exactly the same memory chip - Kingston - that was originally installed in the computer.  I would like to know if I have to reset the CMOS when I add the new chip.  And, if I do, what happens next.
Thank you for your help.  SteveN
Steve
SteveN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:19am
Can someone simply answer the question: Do I need to reset CMOS if I add an additional memory chip?  The computer came with one in A2 and I want add another to B2.  I would like to know if I can simply add the new chip and leave the CMOS alone!
Hopefully I will get an answer this time so thanks in advance.
Steve
Steve
badbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:36am
You do not need to reset CMOS if you add the additional ram. What Kingston part number is the ram ?

https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=99573335296
SteveN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 8:58am
Kingston part number is KVR24N17S8/8 for both the chip that came with the machine and the one I am adding.  Thanks for your reply.  SN
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic