ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

990FX Extreme4 bio's should i flash to 2.70?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjhall1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 990FX Extreme4 bio's should i flash to 2.70?
    Posted: 09 May 2018 at 3:40pm
so my bio's is currently 1.80

but i dont need updates for windows versions or anything. 

im just running windows 7. so i would think 1.80 is enough. 

but today i bought a new CPU. upgraded to a FX8350 from a phenom 965

i stress tested the CPU after i had a random hard freeze. and wanted to make sure cpu was ok. after a few hours of prime95 with no errors i just decided it was a random freeze that probably wont happen again

then it happened again lol.... 

havent turned off cool n quiet yet but i plan to. 

SO QUESTION IS
 i was wondering if 1.80 bios was enough to run an fx8350. does 2.00 or 2.70 help fx series at all? i just assumed those were for windows 8 and 8.1 and 10 compatibility updates. 

~EDIT~ 
i dont think its temp related. my temps seem fine. 18c on idle. and 45c on load.

Edited by tjhall1000 - 09 May 2018 at 3:46pm
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 2:35am
well 1.8 is supposed to support fx8350

before blaming bios version have you ................................

reset bios to stock /defaults ?

are you sure the power supply is good and not on its way out

is the cooling for BOTH the cpu AND the heatsink vrm area good (too many people fit big new heatsinks to cpu and forget the stock one is designed to cool the vrms/board
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
tjhall1000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tjhall1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 6:27am
im not a fan boy of after market coolers. i prefer stock coolers only. which is whats cooling it right now. hoenstly the wraith cooler is doing great. 18c idle and 40c load is crazy good for a stock cooler

now i admit i didnt reset bio's after the switch, im sure that was the issue.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 1:38am
clear the cmos /reset bios

test for stability and then start to retune the bios to suit the new cpu and ram combination

please let us know the results to help us help others in future
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
tjhall1000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjhall1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 2:45am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

clear the cmos /reset bios

test for stability and then start to retune the bios to suit the new cpu and ram combination

please let us know the results to help us help others in future

sadly didnt help though. but i think it only freezes when i use bluestacks the android phone for PC program. it never did that until i got a new cpu. bluestacks worked fine on my old cpu.

i looked into it and it said to fix that issue i had to enable virtualization in bio's but sadly my asrock motherboard doesnt come with that option. so i googled it and found that IOMMO in bio's means the same thing so i enabled that. but bluestacks still hard freezes my computer ...

so i guess im just out of luck and not able to play games on bluestacks anymore lol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic