ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme6+ slow boot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 1:15am
Originally posted by svengru svengru wrote:

Hi Parsec,

I am not sure that you read my posts right.

I am keeping the config the same (including the SSD750 and all BIOS settings).
1.2 is about 3 sec faster than 1.4 & 1.5. 3sec is close to my complete OS boot time of just under 5 secs, so YES, I think it is something Asrock should consider investigating.

Modern UEFI firmware has good instrumentation and it should be relatively easy to understand which UEFI driver is causing the delay. It's certainly not the ME firmware as a downgrade to 1.2 keeps the new ME version.

-Sven

No, I understand and agree with everything you wrote. I was simply commenting that the 750 SSD is known, when used as an OS drive, to be relatively slower to boot an OS.

I know your configuration did not change after the UEFI updates, but I was surprised that your POST time was apparently not slowed down by the use of the 750, even as just a data drive.

UEFI/BIOS updates may contain more changes than those listed in the Description for the UEFI file on its download page. That might include a change to the POST procedure that initializes the drives in the PC. Given how new NVMe drives are, I would not be surprised if a change to the POST procedure for dealing with NVMe drives was added.

It is very interesting that the 750 only seems slow to start when loading/booting an OS. The overall startup times that users report when using a 750 as an OS drive are much longer than your POST and OS boot time. I'm happy to see you separating those two things, as most users do not.

It has been said in reviews of the 750 that Intel did not optimize its firmware for high 4K random performance. The benchmark results for 4K performance are not really poor IMO, so the slow overall startup time when using a 750 as an OS drive does not make sense IMO.

Your information about your experience with the NVMe 750 is useful, and frankly quite different than everything else I have ever read about them. I'm not saying you are wrong! Your information is another piece of the 750 startup time puzzle, that I am grateful to have.
svengru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svengru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 1:23am

Thanks for your post. We are on the same page... Smile

Your post gave me an idea to try later:
Assuming NVMe code was added and the SDD750 is now initialized the same as a boot device from the system BIOS... we might just have found a possible reason for the increased post time.
I disabled it in the boot priority, but this might have no impact on the initialization.

I now update the SSD750's firmware and will run another test with BIOS 1.5 to see if it has improved.

-Sven
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic