ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 Pro4-No post boot loop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350 Pro4-No post boot loop
    Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 2:08am
I have been trying to get my Ryzen 5 2600x working for over 1 month now since buying the components. I have returned the motherboard to get bios 4.70 or higher and ended up ordering bootkit too. Got motherboard back and no post with boot loop that goes on forever, black screen. I RMAed my cpu per Asrock recommendation and still the same result. I even tried downgrading BIOS to 4.70 since they put 4.83 the board to see if that would work with no luck. The bootkit CPU works but not the 2600x. I'm on my 3rd motherboard after RMAing it for a failed BIOS update with no luck. I guess the only thing I can think of is the memory is not compatible even though it is on their list.

Any suggestions, I need to get this working?

Specs: AB350 Pro 4 Bios tried at 4.70 & 4.83
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
Memory: 16 GB of Adata on QVL list for mother board-AX4U266638G16-DRS
Video Card-1050ti Nvidia

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 5:53am
That is odd for sure. 

I have seen quite a few people using that board with the 2600x without issues so something must be up with your particular setup. I can't imagine you got 4 (3 RMAs + original purchase?) problem boards. Also the APU works which means the board you are using isn't DOA. I also find it hard to believe that the RAM works on the older APU but not the newer, more compatible Ryzen 5 2600x.

That leaves us with only one culprit I can think of, one that would work with the low power APU but not the higher power 2600x. The PSU. What make and model is it? Is it new or reused from a previous system?

Even today, there are brand new PSUs that don't play nice with gaming setups (CPU + mid range or better GPU). Most of them have their 12v wattage split over multiple 12v rails or are cheap budget options. You want a single 12v rail with at least 35 amps (~400w) for your setup.   
Snowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 6:05am
The new power supply is an 80 plus gold PowerSpec from Microcenter.

Model PS 650GFM

I have tried messing with memory settings with bootkit CPU and then putting 2600X back in with no success. Can't for the life of me figure it out.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 6:41am
That PSU should have the power to run your system based on it's specs. It is possible it is defective so it may be worth trying a different one (borrowed from a friend or another PC if necessary). 

You can also try clearing CMOS using this metod:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal

You need to do this with the 2600x installed in the system. If the BIOS is retaining APU settings when the 2600x is installed it could be behind the POST failure. Also make sure you leave the system powered for at least 10 minutes to make sure the POST isn't just taking a long time on first startup (RAM training for the different IMC on the 2600x).

The RAM controller (IMC) is located on the CPU itself so the APU and 2600x are not equal in their RAM support.
Snowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 7:57am
I tried the CMOS reset now and on the other boards. Did not work.

I will try to rig up another power supply there. I would be surprised the bootkit cpu would work but not the 2600x due to power supply.

When I used the bootkit cpu I still use my 1050ti to boot and run monitors off that with ext graphics selected in BIOS. Never have hooked up monitor cords to motherboard headers for video.
Snowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 2:07am
Ok, tried resetting CMOS and tried another power supply. Same result, boot loop with no post.

How could the bootkit CPU work but on the 2600x? Weirdest thing ever.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic