ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

G.skill ram not in the QVL list

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote und3rkevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: G.skill ram not in the QVL list
    Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 12:22am
Hi guys, i have the B350 Pro4 motherboard and a ryzen 5 1600.

This is my ram: F4-3200C14D-16GVR (there is the version without the R with the K, but it stands for  the color of heatsink) and is not on the QVL list. On the G.skill site  the QVL motherboards has no ryzen chipset, only intel(all x299, z170, z270, z370).When i did that build asking on forums they raccomended that kit becouse it would be super good with ryzen becouse is B-die. Recently i had some strange BSOD (3 different errors, last one was MEMORY MANAGEMENT) that could be related to power failure the ram on XMP 2.0. So my question is could be that  motherboard can't handle the xmp on that ram so it crashes? On the dump of the crashes there is this: ntoskrnl.exe.

Sorry for my bad english, hope anyone can answer my questions!
Thanks.
XmanSE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XmanSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 7:09am
Hi, look my post here http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp%3FTID=9058&title=x470-taichi-memory-errors-in-xmp

Days ago i had a lot of bsod and the problem was the ram, my ram is a gskill 3600cl19.

Look the post, it could be help 
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 10:54am
from gskill's spec for those kits seems to have xmp @ 1.2v i think its too low for 3200 which are usually set at 1.35 

und3rkevin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote und3rkevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by XmanSE XmanSE wrote:

Hi, look my post here http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp%3FTID=9058&title=x470-taichi-memory-errors-in-xmp

Days ago i had a lot of bsod and the problem was the ram, my ram is a gskill 3600cl19.

Look the post, it could be help 

Thanks for your reply. You already found kinda what your problem is. In my case i have no errors on memtest with xmp profile.

Originally posted by gizmic gizmic wrote:

from gskill's spec for those kits seems to have xmp @ 1.2v i think its too low for 3200 which are usually set at 1.35 

Thanks for your reply. I checked on their site and i saw that is 1.35v and checked on the back of the stick and have those timings and 1.35V. You can also see(and saw on the back of the ram too) that is "XMP 2.0 ready" but with intel, so i don't know if the AMD settings of XMP could be faulty. 

Also could be the new Bios 4.70 that i recently flashed could be bugged, becouse i don't remember having any issues before that. Manually changing the overclock for the ram could be better then XMP ?

Edited by und3rkevin - 05 Jul 2018 at 12:58pm
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 1:20pm
because all parts are different 

lets say xmp is what your ram are designed to run 
but on the other hand not all bios or IMC are not made the same so may require manual changes

and if you compare amd certified xmp they are also 14-14-14-34 1.35v which are exactly the same as your kits so it wont make any difference 

if you're not getting errors you should be stable if you are truly sure the ram are the problem with your BSOD then you can try one these things which are the basics in overclocking

bumping dram volts by 1 step 
dropping mem freq by 1 step
change to looser timing
increase IMC volts by 1 step

if it doesn't solve the problem then the problem is elsewhere especially when the system is benchable 

do you use tools like cpu-z to confirm the timings that are running

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote und3rkevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 5:42pm
I posted the problem here to be sure that the motherboard would be fully capable of handling that kit specially on xmp so i could leave ram from my list of problems. I'm not sure is ram, but look like those rams are designed for intel chipset ( i found them on a list called "Best rams for ryzen 5 and 7" but was raccomanded x370 boards).

Edited by und3rkevin - 05 Jul 2018 at 5:43pm
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 6:50pm
its really hard to guarantee something will work out of the box since there is so many variables. 

the main reason its called "Best rams for ryzen 5 and 7" is plainly because they are samsung b-die chips and would run up to 4000mhz or any timings depending on which voltage are used. 

assuming your rams are 100% working and you go out and buy a AMD certified 3200 14-14-14-35 1.35V you'll still have the same problem because they are virtually identical unless they have a different sub-timing for AMD certified kits 

if it makes you feel better my kits are also designed for intel chipset and will never be on asrock's QVL list but i know they are samsung b-die and i just use the same settings to run them. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote und3rkevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 6:58pm
It does make me feel better, atleast i know that someone else have ram that are not in QVL and have no problems with it, so i finally can exlude that is the ram my problem. My thought was that can't handle the xmp but i guess it could if with memtest i have no problem. Thanks you all i guess i have to look for others variables Wink. Btw i'm pretty sure is the new bios update for new processors that might have some bugs
chainsaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chainsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 11:12pm
XMP only sets primary timings so its up to ASRock's UEFI to do the sub timings.  it could be something as easy like turning on Gear down mode or setting command rate to 2T might get it stable. 

you could look into the Ryzen Dram calculator on the Overclock.net fourms by user: 1usmus
that tool has helped so much.

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 P3.40
AMD RYZEN 7 1700 @ 4Ghz 1.39v
Noctua NH-D15 "blocks top 1x pci-e"
16GB GSkill Ripjaw V F4-3200C16D-16GVRB @ 2933 14-15-15-15 T1 1.365v
GTX 1080 x2 Sli
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic