ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97E-ITX/ac: SSD M.2 don't boot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
xsebo1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xsebo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97E-ITX/ac: SSD M.2 don't boot
    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 7:50am
How fast works SSD Toshiba rc100? B + M key may use only 6gb Sata, i need to now after bay
scraejtp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scraejtp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 1:56am
Late response as you have probably already tried it, but I flashed the rom in the bios with the Instant Flash option.

I disabled CSM and Secure boot in the bios to allow the NVME to be bootable.
dstoimenos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstoimenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 2:07am
Hallo

I would like to ask. The ROM that you posted is the final ROM we can use to solve the problem? Can I flash it through the UEFI Bios Tool? After I Flash it should I make any changes to the Bios settings, so the board could detect the M.2 card? And then I could make a clean install of Windows 10?

Thank you!!!
scraejtp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scraejtp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 11:22am
Copied WindScythe's notes/links and was able to reproduce his results.

As the task seemed daunting the link below is the v 2.2 bios with this bios mod. It worked fine for me with no changes (SATA ssd) and I performed a fresh install of Windows 10 on a 256 GB NVME with Secure Boot and Keys Loaded, CSM Disabled. Fast boot turned on now and may be the fastest booting computer I have had.

Use at your own risk

https://app.box.com/s/idg70hoo0uvtwcdq8xfljy2lihjskfpn
nilezon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilezon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 9:17pm
+1
@ASRock_TSD please release a last firmware for Z97E-ITX/ac with TPM2-S and (full) NVME support. Pretty please?
Windscythe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windscythe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 12:19am
No problem at all. Just as a heads up, there is also the method of using an intermediary like Clover to act as a "Handshake" between the Bios and the OS with the NVME driver built in.

It does not require any BIOS modification, and can be removed at anytime. It looked into it at first, but I felt like the BIOS modification was the simplest route. At the same time, I was willing to take the risk of bricking my motherboard. 

So if you're interested in a workaround until ASRock comes out with a BIOS update, I would look up:

[Guide] NVMe-boot without modding your UEFI/BIOS (Clover-EFI bootloader method)

Also, these methods allow people with older chipsets to use NVME drives with PCIE addon cards, even if they don't have M.2 Drives. 

cronos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 4:38am
Originally posted by Windscythe Windscythe wrote:

There is a post somewhere else that I was able to find:

"How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS"

This process was apparently designed so that people could get NVME support for 6-8 series chipset support. In fact this is pulled directly from the post. 

• Nearly all mainboard manufacturers are meanwhile offering new BIOS versions with full NVMe support for their mainboards with an Intel 9-Series or X99 Chipset.

So even though 9 Series has Nvme support, for some reason this board, does not have nvme support for this specific Nvme drive. I wasn't even sure that this would work, and was very pleasantly surprised once I went through the whole process and it did work. 

So a few things of importance to note. Obviously altering a BIOS carries risks and the possibility of bricking your motherboard. So if you aren't willing to take that risk on yourself, I wouldn't recommend doing this. So I'm not personally advocating that anyone do this, I'm simply sharing my experience. 

Things of note:

I used the program by CodeRush called "UEFITool v0.25.1"

I used the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs to insert NVME support into the 2.20 BIOS file from ASRock

After following the instructions from that original post, I quickly learned that the ASRock Instant Flash would deny the flash attempt with the Modded BIOS, so I searched again and found another informative post by looking up: 

[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

I then scrolled down to the section for ASRock mainboards with AMI Aptio UEFI BIOS

After I completed that portion, I was able to flash the new modded bios and BAM, not only was I able to install Windows 10 WITH Secure Boot and Keys Loaded, CSM Disabled, but it loaded into it perfectly. I am even able to use ULTRA FAST BOOT with the drive. 

If you have any questions, just let me know. If you want me to walk you through what I did over Discord, just message me and I'll send a link.

Thank you very much for your help! I have reviewed the articles that you quote and it seems that it is a fairly safe and easy way to do it. However, I am going to request the asrock SAT if it can get an official update for UEFI from our motherboard.

Otherwise I will also consider using the UEFI-MOD. My biggest problem is that I need to use the Intel RAID and I also have a mini-PCIe AHCI controller with 2 SATA ports connected ASMedia. I thought it understood that the author of the article says that in these cases can cause problems.

Thank you very much for the info!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Windscythe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 7:49pm
There is a post somewhere else that I was able to find:

"How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS"

This process was apparently designed so that people could get NVME support for 6-8 series chipset support. In fact this is pulled directly from the post. 

• Nearly all mainboard manufacturers are meanwhile offering new BIOS versions with full NVMe support for their mainboards with an Intel 9-Series or X99 Chipset.

So even though 9 Series has Nvme support, for some reason this board, does not have nvme support for this specific Nvme drive. I wasn't even sure that this would work, and was very pleasantly surprised once I went through the whole process and it did work. 

So a few things of importance to note. Obviously altering a BIOS carries risks and the possibility of bricking your motherboard. So if you aren't willing to take that risk on yourself, I wouldn't recommend doing this. So I'm not personally advocating that anyone do this, I'm simply sharing my experience. 

Things of note:

I used the program by CodeRush called "UEFITool v0.25.1"

I used the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs to insert NVME support into the 2.20 BIOS file from ASRock

After following the instructions from that original post, I quickly learned that the ASRock Instant Flash would deny the flash attempt with the Modded BIOS, so I searched again and found another informative post by looking up: 

[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

I then scrolled down to the section for ASRock mainboards with AMI Aptio UEFI BIOS

After I completed that portion, I was able to flash the new modded bios and BAM, not only was I able to install Windows 10 WITH Secure Boot and Keys Loaded, CSM Disabled, but it loaded into it perfectly. I am even able to use ULTRA FAST BOOT with the drive. 

If you have any questions, just let me know. If you want me to walk you through what I did over Discord, just message me and I'll send a link.

cronos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Windscythe Windscythe wrote:

Well. I got it working. I'm not sure what the rules are here, and if we're allowed to talk about Bios Modification, but the bottom line is I was able to get the Toshiba RC100 NVME Drive to work as a boot drive on my Z97e-itx/ac. 

It wasn't very difficult, so if it's allowed to talking about Bios modification here, let me know and I'll post what I did. Otherwise feel free to message me.

PLEASE tell me how you did it !!! I'm waiting! Was it something related to the GPT partition?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Windscythe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 10:13am
Well. I got it working. I'm not sure what the rules are here, and if we're allowed to talk about Bios Modification, but the bottom line is I was able to get the Toshiba RC100 NVME Drive to work as a boot drive on my Z97e-itx/ac. 

It wasn't very difficult, so if it's allowed to talking about Bios modification here, let me know and I'll post what I did. Otherwise feel free to message me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic