ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Taichi No Post issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dafriz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Taichi No Post issue
    Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 11:17am
Hey guys, just checking if some people with more experience with handling weird no posting can help out

basically bought a new case, was transplanting the motherboard and processor into the new case but for some reason the darn thing would not boot up and post

things that are strange - pc will turn on when pressing power button - fans, rgb leds, ram (rgb ram that pulls from motherboard so its getting power), hard drives are humming

basically everything on the dang motherboard seems to turn on... plug in graphics card it turns on...

im basically at a complete loss as the only thing that won't seem to work during the move was the cpu1 fan header (which might be the main culprit as I have heard of certain boards that refuse to post if there isn't a fan plugged into it)

also I tried the other fan headers that are labeled for water pump and they all work with the cpu fan so was hoping that would get it to post but no go

basically the only things that seem to not be working is the code lights and the cpu fan1 header... but I have never really seen anything like this and I checked all the solder points / looked around for anything on the board and can't find any metal that could be shorting the board

any ideas what could be causing this?? in the meantime I'm going digging for a very old video card that doesn't require external power to operate to verify the pci-express bus possibly

Edited by dafriz - 27 Aug 2018 at 11:18am
dafriz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dafriz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 8:50am
ummm... so i guess good news is i got the cpu fan1 header to work...  just checked after reseating the cpu after a thorough board inspection

no idea what made it work... still no post or video though.....

-_-    I have no idea what is causing this as i went over the whole motherboard... swabbed it all down and checked all pins including under the cpu

everything checks out ok... power supply turns on no problem when using power button on board
but no DR. Debug codes appear.....

EDIT:  also apparently the bios updated fine through the usb bios button.... but still doesn't want to post...

Edited by dafriz - 29 Aug 2018 at 9:15am
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 12:30am
back to basics
1 stick of ram no hard drives and see if it posts

edit another thought (esp. after case change)
is the new case holding the gpu card 'up' and not letting it fully slot down into board ?

ive got a gtx750 here that is a bstard to get to fully seat due to a retention bracket that seems too short for the case to let it fully insert into slot

Edited by datonyb - 30 Aug 2018 at 12:32am
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
dafriz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dafriz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 5:10pm
yea i know the basics

been putting together computers for years and tbh... this is the first time I have had something come up that I couldn't figure out what the issue is.. or the probability of the issue

i took the entire board out of the case just to see if I could get at least some postcodes at the bottom of the board when plugging in and it just doesn't light up

Thanx for some input, but its still way off from being out of warranty so just RMA'ing the board in order to get it replaced

not sure what is wrong

only thing that pops into my mind is if the board had a poor solder pin somewhere and in the process of me lifting it out of the original case managed to jostle a connection at the pin... didn't bump anything though so it leaves me even more confused especially for the fact that everything lights up... fans run... tested usb headers with a usb stick that had a light to show if ports were getting power.....  even tested and it updated the bios correctly with the onboard update procedure...... so the only thing that seems to not work on the board is the postcodes

it is the strangest thing I have ever encountered in a rig I've worked on to have what appears to be a fully functional board that just refuses to post
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic