ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New build POST 5 beeps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 4:36am
Papollonio - looking at the boards on that link, they all seem to include the CPU on board as well, so its unclear if the GPU is within the CPU or a separate chip,

This has given me another slight cause for concern now - my own machine uses the on-board video capability and has a dual core Athlon, which im about to replace with a faster quad-core Phenom. Im wondering now whether or not doing so will muck up my graphics!

Time to pull the mobo manual out I think
MartinB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 4:45am
Just checked, and my mobo does have integrated graphics separately to the CPU. Its an Asus M3N78-VM, and has an Nvidia GeForce 8200 chipset,

So clearly some mobos can be had with the GPU embedded on the board as part of the chipset, but it does seem that correctly identifying which requires some skill in decyphering the marketing hype!
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 5:24am
Wowsers! I didn't even know these existed. I haven't seen on in action since the Duron/Athlon era... Clap

I wouldn't call them exactly 'consumer' products as their so-called 'GPU' serves only as a DAC, i.e. monitor driver. In my books that's hardly a 'solution' let alone GPU.

Well, each day something new I guess.
MartinB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 7:48am
well, im still using Athlon! And I thought that was reasonably modern (well, at least not yet vintage!) - I started on Z80s with PAL RF modulators!

Much of my work with the GPU is BOINC and involves using it as a high power ALU/maths co-processor. Actual video use for me tops out with the occasional HD movie!

Ive just updated the GeForce 8200 driver (mostly to try and stop the BOINC client constantly telling me to use the latest GPU driver!) and thought i'd run SANDRA and check what my graphics shared memory was - 128MB!!! LOL

So ive delved into the BIOS and adjusted the GPU shared memory to its maximum permitted - a whopping 512MB! Cry

Edited by MartinB - 02 Oct 2018 at 8:02am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic