ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z270 Killer SLI/ac WiFi works somtimes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOriginalPancake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z270 Killer SLI/ac WiFi works somtimes
    Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:36pm
Hey ASRock Community!

I have a Z270 Killer SLI/ac motherboard with the built in intel dual band wireless-ac 3160. 

The Problem: The WiFi will disconnect and will not be be able to see any WiFi networks around. On the WiFi icon on the toolbar there is a red x.

The problem seems almost intermittent and it doesn't seem to matter that the computer is doing at the time. Usually it seems like it happens over night but I was just watching a movie (from the hard drive, not the internet) and towards the end of the movie it started to lag, the computer then lagged and it said I was disconnected. This was the first time I actually witnessed it disconnecting. 

I like to think of myself fairly computer savvy so I started searching the web to see if anyone else has had this problem. I found a few things to try from a few different sources. Using the order of escalation these are the things I have tried:

Ran the Windows Network Troubleshooter (tells me its broke, thanks Windows), Reset the router, Restart the computer, Uninstall the drivers/ Reinstall the drivers, I went in the BIOS and made sure WLAN was enabled (it was), Finally i got fed up and just reinstalled Windows (it wasn't a true fresh install but it should have reset all of my settings).

Whats odd is even after the fresh install the device manager will not let me uninstall the driver. When I tell it to uninstall is just sits on the trying for hours. When I reboot the machine it sits on the reboot screen with the spinning wheel of death until it gives me the error DEVICE_POWER_STATE_FAILURE so I assume its a problem with the WiFi driver? After a reboot sometimes it says that there is not a driver available for the adapter. If I try and update it, it gets stuck in the updating box. Sometimes after the reboot the WiFi connects and it looks like everything is fixed.

So, I know its not that I am to far from the router because when it works, I have full bars and I don't see any problems with the Internet. I'm starting to think that it is hardware related but without buying a new MoBo, a WiFi card or tearing into my current MoBo, I'm at a loss. 

Thoughts? And thanks in advance! 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic