ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock P67 Pro3 SE changing boot order

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leetneok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock P67 Pro3 SE changing boot order
    Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 9:50pm
hi i have this motherboard with windows 10 and every time i restart my pc my computer changes the boot order to my usb external hard drive. i looked everywhere on the net and couldnt find anything on this.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 10:51pm
What is stored on your external hard drive? Any images or backups of your OS drive?

Did this behavior with the external drive just start recently? Meaning you have used the external drive connected to the PC in the past, but it recently started to reset the boot order?

Just to check, you said restart the PC, which means it does not happen from a cold start, after a shutdown?
ASRock Expert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 2:42am
Connect Your hard drive to the SATA3_0 port.

Edited by ASRock Expert - 09 Oct 2015 at 2:45am
990FX Extreme 9 MOD P1.70
AMD FX 8120 4GHz 1.25V
Thermalright HR-02
Patriot Viper 2x4GB 2133MHz
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
MSI R7970 TFIII 3GB
CORSAIR VX550W
LanCool K62 Dragonlord
ASUS Xonar D2X
leetneok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leetneok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 3:57am
yeah it only happens after a restart and it dosnt have anything on the hard drive i formatted it to make sure nothing was on there. ill check into buying that cord and doing that if nothing else works.

Edited by leetneok - 09 Oct 2015 at 4:06am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by leetneok leetneok wrote:

yeah it only happens after a restart and it dosnt have anything on the hard drive i formatted it to make sure nothing was on there. ill check into buying that cord and doing that if nothing else works.

If your USB external drive can use an eSATA cable, don't bother connecting it to the SATA3_0 port. That's one of the two SATA III ports on your board, it would be a waste to use that on an external drive that is a HDD. All so called "SATA III" HDDs cannot even reach the maximum SATA II speeds.

In case you did not understand, ASRock Expert was saying you should connect your SSD to the SATA3_0 port, since that will more likely cause it to remain first in the boot order
ASRock Expert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

[QUOTE=leetneok] you should connect your SSD to the SATA3_0 port, since that will more likely cause it to remain first in the boot order

Right that. Wink

Anyway, @Leetneok- change the CMOS battery, to play safe.
990FX Extreme 9 MOD P1.70
AMD FX 8120 4GHz 1.25V
Thermalright HR-02
Patriot Viper 2x4GB 2133MHz
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
MSI R7970 TFIII 3GB
CORSAIR VX550W
LanCool K62 Dragonlord
ASUS Xonar D2X
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic