ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reliable AM4 Motherboards?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virpz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reliable AM4 Motherboards?
    Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 7:07pm
If you want a fully functional board be aware that ASRock bios support has been garbage and even with their flagship models. If I wer you, I would stick with ASUS.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9371&title=psa-stay-away-from-480-bios-x370-taichi

If anyhing, they have changed the height of their forum front page to actually fit only their pinned threads.Clap

The list bellow is still valid, they haven't done anything about it still.

So, the updated list for their latest official non beta bios release.

The list of performance issues for the Taichi/Pro Gaming bios P4.80 is as bellow:

1. Overclocking resulting in huge Cache/memory bandwidth loss. Active on every official bios since the introdfuction of 12 nm CPUs. Seem fixed on their lastest BETA

2. Clock generator/bclk not properly working. Confirmed by several OCN members that it is broken for 12 nm CPUs on every bios, including L4.81. I assume LZ also confirmed it is broken since he is ignoring it.

3. Memory "powerloss" ?/Not clocking timing decently at all.  Active since the introduction of P4.80.

4. IOMMU groupings - those are terribly broken and renders this otherwise excellent VM platform barely usable

5. Kernel DMA protection in Win 10 cannot be enabled, un-allowed DMA-capable bus detected - can something be done here?

6. - Spectre patches? Hello?

7. SAVE PROFILE
    You don't have a functional way to "Save Profiles" because ASRock bios team decided everything under "Advanced" is useless and not worth their precious time - Overclocking board that can't save overclocking settings like "Core Performance Boost", "Global C-States", all you memory timings/configs and so on... Oh, all your freaking Memory timings that took you 5 minutes to write down because you typed in HEX numbers  guess what happens if your memory overclock fails ??? Yes, you will need to type those nice HEX numbers again since you can't save profiles and this board is more than a year old !! Hurts 1st and 2nd gen CPU's

8. 1-AMD CBS Memory Timings
    Here you have the most lazy work on the adjustments for "Memory Timings" under "AMD CBS". You can't enter values and so you select from a drop-down list...There you have HEX numbers and If your overclock fails, you will net to re-enter everything again as you can't save these settings.
    Bios - Since forever... We are living with these since the introduction of this section... Board is more than a year old. Hurts 1st and 2nd gen CPU's.

Edited by virpz - 12 Oct 2018 at 7:17pm
robmcc83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 12:55am
Yes personally I would avoid asrock boards aswell.
My previous boards were Asus and never had such problems as what I've had this time and asrock updates very slow compared to other manufactures.
I've made the mistake of purchasing a asrock board early this year.
It was only last month the bios update came out for my board that fixed my ryzen issue, but other manufactures released this update in april/May time.
Still have little issues now that have never been resolved and this forum is useless, people help you so far then you just get ignored and problem never gets solved.
As soon as I have some spare cash I'm replacing my motherboard with another manufactures and binning the one I have now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic