ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 TaiChi 3/4 DIMMs detected [Solved]

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 TaiChi 3/4 DIMMs detected [Solved]
    Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 5:35pm

Hello,

i'm currently building a new PC and having issues with the memory.

Board: X399 TaiChi (BIOS 3.30)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2950X
RAM: 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO (CMW32GX4M4C3600C18)

The four DIMMs are installed at A2, B2, C2, D2. But regardless of which DIMM is in A2, it doesn't show up in the BIOS. RGB is working in A2 though.

Could this be a firmware/software or configuration issue, a hardware issue (since only A2 is affected) or did i just encountered my first incompatibility with memory?

On a side note.
If i activate XMP 2.0 Profile (leaving default settings), the board boots 3 times before getting into POST.
Also, most of the times i mess with memory settings, the RaidXpert menu disappears from the BIOS and the OS wont boot anymore (NVMe RAID).  I can fix this by switching to AHCI Mode and after a restart turning RAID Mode back on again.

Edited by isto - 16 Oct 2018 at 12:29am
isto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 12:28am
Followup

It was my fault all the time :D

I found this thread which suggested to remove and reinstall the CPU.
Upon further examination of the CPU i found a little piece of sh.. transparent plastic foil sticking in a corner of the CPU. I guess a piece of packing material. Don't know where that came from.

Removing the plastic, a quick rub with micro fiber cloth & alcohol and the 4th DIMM finally got detected.

Now i can mess with memory speeds. And CMW32GX4M4C3600C18 probably can be added to the compatibility list.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic