ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

d7 dr. debug code

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kutuzof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: d7 dr. debug code
    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 5:24am
I filled out the asrock support email form 3 months ago and have yet to hear back.  I filled it out again and sent another support email before making this post.  I am very disappointed they have yet to reach out.

In the meantime, perhaps someone here has experienced a similar issue and can help.

The board is an ASRock x79 extreme7.
CPU is an i7 3930k.
All other parts have been swapped in and out during troubleshooting (see below for details).

The Problem:
The computer works without issue once it reaches the post screen.  Typically it gets stuck on code d7 and never shows a picture.

Sometimes it does work though I cannot pin down what is causing it to post or what is preventing it.

Here are some of the steps I've tried:
  • 6 different USB and PS2 keyboard and mouse in all usb inputs.  All work on other systems without issue.
  • different pcie slots.
  • different graphics cards.
  • different monitors.
  • different ram.
  • removing cmos battery.
  • removing and reseating ram/gfx
  • reseating mb cpu and main power connectors.
  • various hdd combinations on various usb ports.
Sometimes I get different codes after clearing cmos but then after a restart it will revert back to d7. 

Usually I am able to get it to finally go to bios after 5-20 tries clearing cmos. 

I am just at a loss and pretty much willing to try anything.  After the most recent reboot I have spent roughly 1 hour with the system and had no luck.  That has happened before though and when I returned a day later 5-10 tries clearing cmos eventually would get it to post.... so I think the system works.

Some other considerations:
  • Capacitor caps don't look blown anywhere and mb solder points/trace that I can see all look intact.
  • I don't think any of the hardware is bad because the system is 100% stable even during stress tests once it boots up.  
  • Never ran the system overclocked.  
  • All fans are working.  
  • Temps are good.
  • bios is most recent and the issue didn't start until years after last bios update.
I will try to compile a list of others codes that the board shows and what steps were taken prior to posting those codes.  

From a troubleshooting standpoint I am stumped and that is pretty rare for me.  Has anyone else ever experienced anything similar or have any ideas?

...And please email me back asrock support.  In the past you have been great which is why I've stuck with asrock boards after switching from gigabyte and asus 10 years ago.

Edited by kutuzof - 24 Oct 2018 at 5:31am
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 6:16am
If you look in the manual, D7 has to do with mouse and or keyboard not detected.
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

kutuzof View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kutuzof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 9:11am
Yes, of course.  Which is why it is strange the board won't post.  I've tried 6 different keyboards and 3 mice.

2 wired ps2 keyboards and one ps2 mouse. 
2 wired usb keyboards and 1 wired usb mouse.
and 2 wireless usb keyboards.

All of those input devices work without issue on other systems and all of them work without issue on this system when it posts.

With that said, I just spent another hour tearing the whole system down cleaning dust and reseated everything connected to the main board.

It did not post again.
It stopped on d7 most of the time.  
However it also is stopping on 6A after every few reboots/cmos clearing.

6A appears to be a memory issue.

Perhaps I didn't seat the ram correctly when i put it back together so I'm going to tear it down again.  Unfortunately with my heatsink I have to remove it to access the 2 dimms closest to the cpu.  I'm going to take all the ram out and put in 2 dimms of different ram.  Unfortunately I don't have another compatible board to put ddr3 in so I can't run memtest on the ram unless I can get past post which is the whole problem...

Still, the system runs without issue until reboot with no hardware changes.  That makes me believe this is a bios issue.  Perhaps compatibility issue with the RAM.  I'll post specs of each set of ram when I return.
kutuzof View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kutuzof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 9:55am
So a few updates.

I think the code 6A is a false positive.  It seems to only come up sometimes reseting the board when it is stuck on code d7.  If I then clear cmos it will return to code d7.

Here is RAM that returned 6A initially:
G.Skill F3-2400C11D 4 dimms 8gb each installed in slots A1,B1,D1,C1.

First I removed ram from slots B1 and D1 and restared.  Same issues
Then I removed the remaining ram from slots A1 and C1 and replaced those two with two of these:
DDR3G.Skill18664GBF3-14900CL9Q-16GBXLDSvvvvv
Same issues.

Needless to say I don't believe the memory itself is an issue.

It all keeps coming back to the board.  I don't see what else it could be.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic