URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1895
Printed Date: 28 Sep 2024 at 2:56am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: [SOLVED] Z170 Extreme4 DrDebug "00" reboot loop
Posted By: Coolshark
Subject: [SOLVED] Z170 Extreme4 DrDebug "00" reboot loop
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 7:28pm
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums Thumbs Up

I open this 3d as I just bought my new rig but I have huge issues trying to install DDR4 in dual channel mode. If DDR4 are installed in dual channel configuration (slots A2/B2) I get a reboot loop with error code "00" shown on Dr. Debug.

First of all this is my rig:
Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme 4
CPU: Intel i5 6600K
PSU: EVGA Supernova GS 550W
VGA: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming
Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO

Dual Channel DDR4 kits used (same problem for each bundle):
Corsair kit DDR4 16GB 3000, (2x8Gb) C15 CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
Kingston HyperX Fury Kit DDR4 16 GB 2400, (2x8Gb) C16 HX424C15FBK2/16 (reported as supported http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Extreme4/?cat=Memory" rel="nofollow - here )

BIOS tried (same problem for each bundle):
1.80/2.10/2.30/2.40

The problem consists of a bios post reboot ending with error code "00" shown on DrDebug if DDR4 modules are installed in dual channel configuration (A2/B2).
Note: DrDebug post doesn't get over "40" or maybe "50".

EDIT 09/02/2016
I sent motherboard+cpu to store to let them make some tests and surprisingly they got it working and reported it with images you can find http://imgur.com/a/ZPWla" rel="nofollow - here.

I start thinking maybe CPU wasn't installed properly? Maybe I had to perform a clean reset cmos, like described http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal" rel="nofollow - here?

EDIT 12/02/2016 SOLVED
1. Clean reset of the board, like described  http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal" rel="nofollow - here .
2. Kingston DDR4 kit was faulty.
3. Switching dimms may fix this.

Replies:
Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Coolshark Coolshark wrote:

Honestly this is my first ASRock motherboard BUT it will also be the last if the board is to RMA and make me loose 1month of work.

That doesn't exactly inspire one to help. Just sayin'

The Kingston and Corsair memory. Have you yourself verified that either are certified by Kingston and Corsair to function properly on your motherboard.

That's the first thing needing done here.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Honestly this is my first ASRock motherboard BUT it will also be the last if the board is to RMA and make me loose 1month of work.

That doesn't exactly inspire one to help. Just sayin'

The Kingston and Corsair memory. Have you yourself verified that either are certified by Kingston and Corsair to function properly on your motherboard.

That's the first thing needing done here.

Hello Wardog, sorry because I wrote the post I was very angry.

The Kingston modules are certified as fully tested/supported on the motherboard DDR4 support list, the code is the following: HX424C15FBK2/16
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Extreme4/index.it.asp?cat=Memory

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 8:18pm
Using your Kingston kit you have there .......

1. Power down, unplug power from wall, press and hold the cases Power button down for ~10secs, then put the sticks in memory slots A2 and B2.

2. Before turning back on and while still DISconnected from the wall, clear your CMOS/BIOS

3. Power it back up and report back what happens.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 8:43pm
Hello, I used your instructions but the problem is still the same. I'll soon provide you a short video of the issue.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 8:46pm
No vid req'd.

1. Using ONLY one stick of the Kingston place it in B2 and see what she does

?? nothing, then go to step 2

2. Using the OTHER stick place it in B2 to test and report back please

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 9:26pm
Hello, seems like it's working now, but listen...

I followed your instructions and installed the Kingstone ones, problem was still there..

Than I switched to the Corsair ones and... bam! Works...

If disconnect AC, press 10 seconds power button, than reset CMOS and install ram: Corsair works in dual channel, Kingston ones I have reboot issues...

Also, now I'm working on bench table, everything outside the case, I'm gonna mount everything and see if it's still working...

Also I'm running a Memtest on the Corsair ones right now, 70% now and no errors..

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 10:12pm
Hello, installed the motherboard into case (I didn't even removed DDR from motherboard while reinstalling), same reboot error...

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 10:22pm

Hello, seems like it's working now, but listen...

I followed your instructions and installed the Kingstone ones, problem was still there..

Than I switched to the Corsair ones and... bam! Works...

That right there is the process I was following. The Kingstons I did look at on the Kingston site to verify compatibility so I was guiding you to test them each first. And then it would have been repeating these steps with the Corsair. Good. It's running now.

Just below your SATA ports are both BIOS chips with a white sticker over one or both. What is printed on the sticker(s)? That will be the BIOS revision of when the board was packaged at the factory. If you haven't flashed the BIOS(couldn't, as no working memory!), and the board is new, not reman'd, open box, or used, then the sticker represents the BIOS the board is current flashed/running.

Before proceeding further after stability tests, what is printed on the sticker(s)?

And don't just go off after reading this and flash your BIOS! There may be an order that needs followed but w/o knowing your current BIOS rev. I can't say.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 10:26pm
Hello,

the printed sticker for bios is P1.80 but I've already upgraded it to latest version using the UEFI Instant Flash utility. I've also tested other available Bios 2.1/2.3/2.4

Also, please consider that after mounting the system for the first time and getting reboot error I first proceeded upgrading Bios directly from 1.8 to 2.4.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 10:28pm

Hello, installed the motherboard into case (I didn't even removed DDR from motherboard while reinstalling), same reboot error...

1. Check that there are ONLY the correct number of standoffs screwed onto the case between the case and the motherboard. There should ONY be one standoff per hole on the motherboard that a screw is fastened. ie: one standoff per one screw

2. Look CLOSELY at the snap-in I/O plate at the rear of the case that none of the little tangs of the plate are or have entered any of the devices on the motherboard

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 10:48pm

1. Check that there are ONLY the correct number of standoffs screwed onto the case between the case and the motherboard. There should ONY be one standoff per hole on the motherboard that a screw is fastened. ie: one standoff per one screw

2. Look CLOSELY at the snap-in I/O plate at the rear of the case that none of the little tangs of the plate are or have entered any of the devices on the motherboard

And barring the above two, firmly reseat your memory sticks. Moving the board into the case may have loosened them.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 10:48pm
I'm with only 1 DIMM in slot B2, works fine. I do move it to slot B1 and back with reboots... Hard to think about circuit break as this problem persists on bench table...

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 10:56pm
Please take a look to following images, do you think it is normal?

https://goo.gl/photos/33agqR2uxzvFFG3A6

https://goo.gl/photos/mZSy1y98VLQK9hxg9

What I did now?

everything installed INTO case, ONLY 1 dim in B2 system works, I do move that dim to A2, no boot.

Removed motherboard, still dim to A2, boots.

If you look at the images you see that screw holes to fix motherboard on case are not surge protected at all, isn't it? Also by looking to that holes, seems like they're not clean at all....

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 3:19am
Both pics there look like they're supposed to.

Are you saying the other mounting holes do not have one or two semi-circular "shiny"/grounding spots surrounding each hole?

Oh please, take pics of the remaining mounting holes and psot them for me.

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 10:45pm
Hello Wardog, first of all thank you for the time spent helping me out.

Motherboard mounting holes are ok, forget about that :)

I sent the motherboard to RMA and they kindly tested it and reported that it IS actually working in dual channel mode, as you can see here: http://imgur.com/a/ZPWla

They also tested my CPU together with motherboard, so I do assume motherboard and cpu are fine.. They did test many ddr4 kits I think, they didn't test my own kingstone or vengeance kit but hard to say they're both faulty.

Tomorrow I'll get the board back and honestly I do not know what to do...

I start thinking CPU wasn't installed in the right way (?).. I see there're 2 new BIOS versions out there since I sent the board to RMA, I should give it a try isn't it?

Thank you in advance..

BTW: something like my problem is found here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2914059/asrock-z170-extreme4-1151-skylake-debug.html

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 5:28pm
Hello Wardog!

I just got my board back from RMA. As I said they tested the board (pics link in first post), they say the board is working so this is it, no change.

I'm working outside the case right now, I just connected 24pin+8pin CPU + CM Nepton 240 + standard vga, what happens here?

If I do connect in slot A2/B2 the following kit Corsair kit DDR4 16GB 3000, (2x8Gb) C15 CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 it works just fine: no errors on DrDebug, I can get into bios and I clearly see dual channel mode enabled.

If I do connect in slot A2/B2 the following kit Kingston HyperX Fury Kit DDR4 16 GB 2400, (2x8Gb) C16 HX424C15FBK2/16 I get a DrDebug "00" error and reboot loop...

Starting from now I'll wait for you to know how to proceed..

Thank you in advance and have a nice day.

EDIT
Seems like that one of the two ddr4 dimm from the Kingston kit isn't working in ANY of the 4 motherboard dimms slot. The other ddr4 dimm of same kit is working just fine in ANY slot!!

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 7:22pm
Hi Wardog,

everything seems to be working fine.. I figured out that the Kingston dimms had a faulty memory, I'm with Vengeance ones now and everything works fine in dual channel mode enabled.

I do have just one more question: now I'm on Bios 2.40, should I update to latest revision?

Thank you again!

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 9:31pm

everything seems to be working fine.. I figured out that the Kingston dimms had a faulty memory, I'm with Vengeance ones now and everything works fine in dual channel mode enabled.

Hooray! That IS good news.

I do have just one more question: now I'm on Bios 2.40, should I update to latest revision?

No. Not necessarily. It's working as intended and the later BIOSes do nothing in respect to any troubles you might have, which you don't. Again, it's working. No sense in up-flashing as there's nothing to gain from doing so.

CS, man. I'm happy you have a working computer. Enjoy 'er.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 10:55pm

No. Not necessarily. It's working as intended and the later BIOSes do nothing in respect to any troubles you might have, which you don't. Again, it's working. No sense in up-flashing as there's nothing to gain from doing so.

CS, man. I'm happy you have a working computer. Enjoy 'er.

Hi Wardog!

First of all thank you VERY much for time spent helping me! I have to say.. I do really LOVE this board, a great look and those 10 power phases are letting me an insanely-easy OC! :D

I'm @4,5Ghz and 1,328v Vcore now (70°-70°-65°-64°) and it is REALLY stable! It took me about 10 minutes to figure out how does the motherboard handles the overclock, C states, EIST etc!

Now the system is @800Mhz 0,9v Vcore in idle state and goes in turbo mode only when required by system! :)

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 12:57am
Hello Wardog,

In case I decide to build a new rig I would probably go with Asrock Z170 Extreme4 motherboard again, my question is: should I update the Bios on the fly as soon as I get the new board or should I keep the default/preinstalled one (assuming everything works with the default one)?

Thank you! ;)

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 7:59am
I would first confirm the BIOS it comes with supports my processor I chose.

Then I would immediately flash it to P1.80, but not P1.90.
(Note: this is as of todays date and bios revison)

You're Welcome.

Posted By: greddy
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 10:44am

Hello Wardog!

I just got my board back from RMA. As I said they tested the board (pics link in first post), they say the board is working so this is it, no change.

I'm working outside the case right now, I just connected 24pin+8pin CPU + CM Nepton 240 + standard vga, what happens here?

If I do connect in slot A2/B2 the following kit Corsair kit DDR4 16GB 3000, (2x8Gb) C15 CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 it works just fine: no errors on DrDebug, I can get into bios and I clearly see dual channel mode enabled.

If I do connect in slot A2/B2 the following kit Kingston HyperX Fury Kit DDR4 16 GB 2400, (2x8Gb) C16 HX424C15FBK2/16 I get a DrDebug "00" error and reboot loop...

Starting from now I'll wait for you to know how to proceed..

Thank you in advance and have a nice day.

EDIT
Seems like that one of the two ddr4 dimm from the Kingston kit isn't working in ANY of the 4 motherboard dimms slot. The other ddr4 dimm of same kit is working just fine in ANY slot!!

Hi there,
The Hyper x fury is fine but the problem is the BIOS. I have Z170 PRO4 now i start at the factory BIOS (v. 2.00) and everything work fine. AIDA BENCHMARK score is normal. If i flash the BIOS to higher v. RAM bandwidth run 50% only.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net