Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6796
Printed Date: 18 Oct 2024 at 5:20pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: x370 Taichi, no video from Titan X Pascal
Posted By: plasma800
Subject: x370 Taichi, no video from Titan X Pascal
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 2:38pm
" rel="nofollow - I have a perplexing issue.

I have a brand new x370 Taichi with an 1800x.

I put the mobo on my test bench with my old GTX460 and all is well.  Installed windows, nvidia geforce, updated the bios to latest, windows 10.

BUT for some reason, whenever I install my known working Titan X pascal connected to my ASUS ROG 279PG, I get no video from any port on the video card.  

I tried DP, HDMI, DVI to DP.

However, put the my GTX460 back in and connect to my old test monitor, everything is fine.

I've tried everything I know.  Ive searched the web and the forums and am at a total loss.

Any ideas?

Replies:
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 3:43pm
short follow up in case anyone asks.. Im using my 850 watt EVGA G2.    All of the components in the build, except for the hard drive, were all in my previous system.

I have two sets of ram, corsair vengeance and gskill from the x370 list.  Both sets function fine in my previous mobo, which I've swapped back in my case while I trouble shoot.

Posted By: MisterJ
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 9:43am
" rel="nofollow - plasma800, please post all your specifications, including OS and BIOS, in your signature as I have.  Did you DL your Chip Set drivers from here?: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
I use the right side - manually.  Please open your BIOS, hit F9, then F10 and see if that helps.  Enjoy, John.

-------------
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 10:36am
I updated the bios to the whatever the latest bios is.

I did not download any chip set drivers.  But I can add that to my list of things to try the next time I try to swap this board in.  I'll try to install these drivers with my gtx4xx in the board, but it's a pain in the ass... now I have to remove the water block from the CPU, reinstall the air cooler, and go from there while my wifes kitchen table is covered with my mess...

My main system is water cooled.. so swapping the board in and out is a gigantic pain in the arse.. ill only try it again if I have multiple things to try... or I'll just take the board out back and youtube myself lighting it on fire.

If I had two titan x's that would make things easier.  but I only have the one with a water block on it, so testing with that card is a lot of effort... and I'm coming to the conclusion that the effort is not worth the payoff.. intel works.. Considering everything works until the titan x is installed tells me the issue is right there at the video card.

Just sucks that the system works fine without that titan x.. but zero video with it.  I think it has to be something very simple, and I feel like it has to do with the video card and asus monitor... regardless, it doesn't function.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 10:44am
" rel="nofollow - sig?

-------------
x370 taichi. bios 3.2, win 10 pro 64 bit, evga 850 g2 supernova, Gskill F4-2400C15D-32GFX, 1800x, ekwb pump, ekwb rad, samsung evo 1 tb ssd

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 11:20am
sig 2

-------------
x370 taichi. bios 3.2, win 10 pro 64 bit, evga 850 g2 supernova, Gskill F4-2400C15D-32GFX, 1800x, ekwb pump, ekwb rad, samsung evo 1 tb ssd

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 11:50am
" rel="nofollow - I wonder if the driver installed for the GTX 460 won't work with the Titan X, or at least how it installed itself for the 460. We had someone that tried to Nvidia based video cards in an X399 PC, and only one card would work. No idea how that turned out.

Did you try clearing the UEFI/CMOS on the X370 Taichi after installing the Titan X?

I'm confused regarding where the X370 Taichi board is currently. In the test bench or the main system?

Can you put the Titan X in the lower PCIe slot, PCIE3? It is only a PCIe 3.0 x8 slot, but will work fine with any video card. Wait, it has the water block on it, so that is the pain. Might be the least pain to put its fans back on for a while.

Tried swapping the monitors, Asus on the 460, the other on the Titan?

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 12:07pm
ok so, "geforce experience" is geforce experience.  All drivers work across all nvidia cards.  

I'll paint a better picture.

I have my case. In it is my gigabyte and intel board, corsair ram, m.2 hdd, titan x, water pump and rad..  with tubes between it all.

Initially what I did was put my new x370 and ryzen chip on my on my test bench.  I installed an air cooler and my brand new gskill memory, along with a brand new samsung ssd hdd.  I used an older 750 watt psu and and my old gtx 460 card that I keep around for junk like this.

I booted it up on my old monitor, installed windows, got everything updated.... then comes the moment of truth.. time to put it in my case.

This means I had to uninstall the air cooler, clean the cpu.  Install my new EKWB ryzen waterbock on the cpu on the x370.

Then I have to drain the loop on my gigabyte board.  pull the radiator, pull the tubes from the cpu.

Then remove my gigabyte, install the x370.  reconnect the water tubes to the x370 cpu block, refill the water system, place all mobo cords (power, cpu power, case plugs, fans, etcc..) then crank it up.. only to find no output to my monitor.

Previously, I had fine output on my test bench.   So I turned the system off, and pulled the titan from the slot.  Since it's connected to the water loop, I had to just let it hang there while I slid the gtx 460 into place to see if I would get video output from that card.  which I did.

So I updated the bios, installed some nvidia drivers, and removed the 460, placing the titan back.. nothing.

So more info.  I have two monitors.  one old junky blue cable test monitor, and my asus rog 279PG.

The asus only takes Display port or HDMI.

My old monitor only takes blue.

My titan has DVI, DP, and HDMI out. 

My gtx 460 only has DVI out.  So wtih a DVI adapter to blue cable, I can run the old monitor on my GTX460.

However, the DVI port on my titan x doesn't match the adapter, so my only choice is to to run the titan x to my asus monitor via DP, hdmi or dvi to DP cable I bought from amazon.

So I cannot test the titan x on the old monitor, I can only connect it to the ASUS ROG monitor. .... and I can only operate the gtx460 on the old monitor, not the asus ROG>.....

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 12:09pm
so.. what im saying is.. after i installed the mobo in my case.. it works fine with all of the hardware in my case, including the water cooling.. as long as I have the GTX460 installed on connected to my old monitor.

When I remove the 460, and install my titan x connected to my ROG, i get no video signal and can't do anything.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 12:12pm

It's a mess.. you can see my titan x hanging there.  I have to slide the 460 in, connect to my old monitor.. i have video.  Take it out, put the titan x in the PCIE slot to my asus.. no video.

-------------

Posted By: datonyb
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 8:05pm
ok heres two things regarding this

first as mister j did point out

you really need the amd chipset drivers installed
considering the gpu does actually direct connect to the ryzen via the pcie bus

but another word of caution here
jayztwocents or whatever the guys name is on yourtube channel (hes quite popular)

actually had the same issue and made a video
bnasically he had two 1080's different brands both fully working and tested in intel systems

only one would work in the ryzen ,the other would be no display

i presume it to be something in the bios of either OR both the mainboard and the gpu card conflicting with certain brands of graphics card

-------------
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 1:18am
I'm hoping asrock support can shed some light on the situation.  I'll install the amd drivers, but I'm really leaning towards just listing the board on craigslist.

I dont have a ton of time to fiddle with this anymore and testing it is a real chore.  Further, I'm not even sure the performance would be ahead of my z170 board and 6700k.  I bought this on a whim just to give a kick in the tires.. i don't want it that badly

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 6:48am
Wanted to post an update.

I gave the board another go with the chipset driver.  I installed a fresh full install of windows, only installed the chipset driver.  

Card still didn't work.

I called Asrock, and the nice guy asked me to try it out of the case.

Did that, didn't work

I put the card in the second slot, and low and behold, bios right away.

What I cannot say is why the card works in an 8x slot, but not the 16x slot.

The card performs great in my gigabyte 16x slot.

-------------

Posted By: htang79
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 7:47am
" rel="nofollow - Need some help - new computer build with TaiChi 370 | Rayzen 1800X | turning the computer on, seems loud - could be the cosair hydro series H115i but im not sure. Also, i cannot install Windows 10, is there anything i need to do to the default bios that the motherboard came with?

-------------
Ha Tnag

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 8:44am
Originally posted by htang79 htang79 wrote:

" rel="nofollow - Need some help - new computer build with TaiChi 370 | Rayzen 1800X | turning the computer on, seems loud - could be the cosair hydro series H115i but im not sure. Also, i cannot install Windows 10, is there anything i need to do to the default bios that the motherboard came with?

Probably best to start a thread of your own.  In that post, you would want to define the word "can't"

As a follow up to my own post, I contacted nvidia... all they could say was "buy intel next time.. good luck"

-------------

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 10:28am
Originally posted by plasma800 plasma800 wrote:

Originally posted by htang79 htang79 wrote:

Probably best to start a thread of your own.  In that post, you would want to define the word "can't"

As a follow up to my own post, I contacted nvidia... all they could say was "buy intel next time.. good luck"

I assume you are serious about the statement from Nvidia... but are you serious? Confused

One of the frustrating situations that exists between PC hardware manufactures is even if they know of an issue with a product they do not make, when it is used with their product, they won't state outright that the issue exists. The other explanation is they are just blowing you off. Either way, you are left with nothing.

We are not aware of any specific problems with the Titan XP and this board or the AMD video Option ROM that is part of the UEFI/BIOS, but that is a rare card.

Did you ever try clearing the UEFI/BIOS after inserting the Titan and starting the board again?

The driver version may be the "same", but how do you know that all the identical components of the driver are shared between a GTX 460 and a Titan XP?

This is a screenshot of the Device Manager Driver Details for a GTX 960:

Notice the scroll bar on the right side of the driver component list? We cannot expand the size of the Properties box, so I cannot show the 68 entries that I counted of the various driver components/files as I scrolled through the list. Is it possible for a GTX 460 and Titan XP to use the identical components, with nothing new or different? This completely ignores anything related to Windows such as the Windows registry entries for the drivers, etc.

I offered this as a possibility of the cause of the problem. Accepting or dismissing it is your choice.

The point is the driver installation for video cards is more complex than one or two files, and the driver installation program detects the video card in use and tailors the installation for that card. So it is possible that a Titan XP cannot function with the driver installation for a GTX 460, since they are very far apart in design and time.

GeForce Experience is not a driver. It is optional software that is used for optimizing game performance, among many other things. You are not required to install it. Many people don't use it, including myself.

The best procedure when changing any video cards is uninstalling the driver via Windows for the DDU program, then restarting Windows so it loads its generic video driver. Then the new video card is put in the system, booted with the generic driver, and then a fresh driver installation is done.

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 10:34am
Dude I am NOT joking at all... Even I was like... whoa... 

I wonder if I have the chat transcript in my inbox..DAM I dont!!  

Ok so, on my last try, I didn't install any drivers of any sort.

1. Put the mobo in my case with waterblock.
  2. put in gtx460
  3. Installed a fresh, clean install of windows 10
  4. Installed the AMD chipset driver
  5. Put the Titan x in place of the GTX460, no video signal.
  6. Called asrock
  7. removed the motherboard to a cardboard box (as instructed), which was a nightmare with my rad out underneath it.
  8. No change, no video signal
  9. moved the card to slot 2, saw bios (hopeful.. at this point I didnt have the HDD connected, so it didn't boot into windows.  I just stopped at the bios screen)
  10. called ASROCK who said call Nvidia
  11. Chatted with nvidia who said sorry.

Then I removed the board entirely, reinstalled my intel board, filled the loop and now I'm playing WOW :)

I didn't try installing the specific drivers for the titan x BEFORE I put the card in, expecting that this would take place AFTER putting the card in, but without a screen.. I haven't been able to.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net