ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - BIOS Update for Spectre and Meltdown For Older MBs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS Update for Spectre and Meltdown For Older MBs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ok2018 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 8:29am
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3248975/components-processors/spectre-cpu-patches-reboots-intel.html

On January 11, Intel confirmed that the firmware patches prompted more frequent reboots in Haswell (2013) and Broadwell (2014) systems. A week later, Intel revealed that many other processor generations also succumb to the reboot bug: Sandy Bridge (2011), Ivy Bridge (2012), Skylake (2015), and Kaby Lake (2017). The January 22 microcode revision guidance says current 8th-gen ?œCoffee Lake??CPUs are also affected by the issue.
?œOver the weekend, we began rolling out an early version of the updated solution to industry partners for testing, and we will make a final release available once that testing has been completed,??Shenoy says.
SiliconTrigger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiliconTrigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by ok2018 ok2018 wrote:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3248975/components-processors/spectre-cpu-patches-reboots-intel.html

On January 11, Intel confirmed that the firmware patches prompted more frequent reboots in Haswell (2013) and Broadwell (2014) systems. A week later, Intel revealed that many other processor generations also succumb to the reboot bug: Sandy Bridge (2011), Ivy Bridge (2012), Skylake (2015), and Kaby Lake (2017). The January 22 microcode revision guidance says current 8th-gen ?�Coffee Lake??CPUs are also affected by the issue.
?�Over the weekend, we began rolling out an early version of the updated solution to industry partners for testing, and we will make a final release available once that testing has been completed,??Shenoy says.

I see. All of the microcode updates are faulty.

https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/01/microcode-update-guidance.pdf

Edited by SiliconTrigger - 24 Jan 2018 at 1:39pm
Unregisteredabc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unregisteredabc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 9:22am
I guess that pdf sort of answers our questions about "old" mobos. Ivy Bridge falls outside 5 years, so Ivy and Sandy probably won't get updates, unless Intel decides to work on them later. Haswell and Broadwell updates from Intel will be done whenever they're revised again, but it depends on the mobo manufacturer whether they will update the mobo, since most mobo warranties are only 3 years. ASRock sounds like they will be working on Haswell and Broadwell, since they said 8 and 9 series MB updates will come later.

I wish I had bought a Haswell in 2013. I decided to go Ivy Bridge on sale instead, since the Haswell used more electricity for a small increase of performance.

Edited by Unregisteredabc - 25 Jan 2018 at 9:24am
JCorrea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCorrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Unregisteredabc Unregisteredabc wrote:

I guess that pdf sort of answers our questions about "old" mobos. Ivy Bridge falls outside 5 years, so Ivy and Sandy probably won't get updates, unless Intel decides to work on them later. Haswell and Broadwell updates from Intel will be done whenever they're revised again, but it depends on the mobo manufacturer whether they will update the mobo, since most mobo warranties are only 3 years. ASRock sounds like they will be working on Haswell and Broadwell, since they said 8 and 9 series MB updates will come later.

I wish I had bought a Haswell in 2013. I decided to go Ivy Bridge on sale instead, since the Haswell used more electricity for a small increase of performance.

If Intel release microcodes to SND/IVY and ASRock don't update 6 and 7 series motherboards, we can mod uefi by ourselves.
Alucard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alucard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 9:21pm
Still waiting on update for Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac
sohleks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sohleks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 6:37am
I'm sitting tight for a stable update to the h97m pro4

I'm not expecting it to be lightning fast but I do hope that they do get to it. I have patience.

Edited by sohleks - 29 Jan 2018 at 6:45am
mandrakerj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrakerj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 11:18pm
I need a New Bios upgraded to Z77 Extreme 4, with fixes from Specter and Meltdown.
Many users need this update for ASRock Z77 Extreme 4.

Thank you!
Prodif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prodif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 11:34pm
SiliconTrigger
New microcode update list:

Edited by Prodif - 10 Feb 2018 at 11:42pm
ASRock x370 Taichi (bios v2.36) / Ryzen-1800X / Crucial CT16G4DFD824A x2 / GPU: AMD R9 NANO / SSD NVMe Samsung 960 PRO MZ-V6P1T0BW (M.2) / HDD SATA 3TB x6 / PSU: Corsair AX860i
ps. RedDragon, by AG
wond1r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wond1r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 12:56am
Seems new BIOS is out
https://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=BIOS
Grisu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grisu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 1:55am
nothing for Z170 Extreme4+ or H170M Pro4 since 2016 !!!
not even a "Hyper-Threading" update Dead

My boards are bought new less than a year ago ...

Really hard work for them to reup an unchanged firmware (no changes in microcode) which has been available one month ago allready?!?!?

Edited by Grisu - 03 Mar 2018 at 2:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 17>
  Share Topic