ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X370 Fatal1ty Gaming Professional - [BIOS v2.x]
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Fatal1ty Gaming Professional - [BIOS v2.x]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 11:37am
Originally posted by JohnV JohnV wrote:

1. Your system's specs.  - R7 1700@stock(for now), 16gb Geil Evo Forza DDR4@3200, mydigital BPX M.2,  Mushkin Reactor SSD, XFX RX480 GTR, Masterliquid 240 aio.

2. The BIOS version that was installed before updating to 2.0. - 1.50(original)

3. Update method (BIOS/DOS/WINDOWS). - DOS

4. Your experience so far with the new BIOS.  - Had an issue with my M.2 drive vanishing (not being detected in the bios, by the system at all) after rebooting,  which hasn't happened since updating to 2.0Smile
I haven't had a lot of free time to dig into the settings(or work on overclocking) but I've had no other issues since the build.  XMP settings, with my memory, just worked (as they should)Clap.

Do you know which SATA port number you are using? The AMD SATA ports start at the top of the "stack" of SATA ports, as the board is seen mounted in a standard PC case. The top two SATA ports would be ports 1 and 2.

I ask because some users of the X370 Taichi board have had issues with some SSDs used in the first two SATA ports, 1 and 2. This seems to happen with certain SSDs, the Mushkin Reactor being one of the possibly problematic SSDs. They are not seen by the board or Windows intermittently. Curious if you have that problem, apparently not.

Next, the XMP profile of your Geil EVO Forza memory works? At 3200? Sorry to ask, because an XMP profile designed for Intel systems (your memory's spec say Intel X99 and Z170) that works on a Ryzen system is amazing. Can you show us a CPU-Z Memory tab picture of your memory speed and timing settings?
Conraire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conraire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 12:17pm
I don't really consider it to be all that amazing that his XMP profile somehow works.  Maybe he got lucky, and found a kit that could handle CR1 at that speed that simply hadn't been tested yet..  Going by the timings on the website it's possible they could be Samsung b die's, since the timings are fairly tight. 

Unfortunately I see a lot of misinformation on this forum, which is why I've been quite reserved and waited to post on anything.  While the XMP Profile settings for RAM were initially only used on Intel Systems, they aren't hard set to only work on Intel boards.  For the most part when using the Ram on a none intel system, the XMP profile settings serve as a base guideline for the speed and timings the RAM is capable of.  The only difference usually is, on older AMD systems where no XMP profile selection was included, you just had to set the speed and timings manually to get the RAM to work at its rated speed. 

I've been building systems from both brands since the mid 90's.  I've never had issues with getting memory to work at it's rated speeds on my AMD systems.  Easiest close to modern examples would be using DDR2 1066 RAM with my Phenom 9850BE, MSI K9A2 Plat.  Using DDR3 1600 Ram with my Phenom II 1090T, in fact I actually had that running 16GB RAM from a 2x8GB kit which according to the board page wasn't possible, ASRock 890FX Deluxe 4 in that case.  And Running DDR3 1866 and faster with my FX8350 on an ASUS Sabertooth R2.   

That is up until now.
R7 1700X
ASRock x370 Fatality Gaming Pro BIOS 2.0
16GB G. Skill Trident Z 2x8 DDR4  3200 (F4-3200C16 8GTZB), currently at 2400 15-15-15-36-1T 1.35v, won't boot at 2666 or higher.
Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro

The biggest issue I see is all current bios are forcing ram to 1T command rate, which is 90% of the RAM not working at rated speed problem, the other 10% is pushing the Infinite Fabric of Ryzen past its max non OC speed of 2667, which can vary from processor to processor.  Most current DDR4 XMP profiles are for 2T command Rate.  Which obviously won't work, unless you have really high end RAM, if the board bios and memory controller are forcing 1T command rate. 

So when it comes down to it, I'm patiently waiting for ASRock and AMD to step up their game when it comes to BIOS and microcode updates.  Hoping that someone decides to allow users to set 2t command rate in the bios. 
Prodif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prodif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 12:30pm
Conraire
RAM Crucial CT16G4DFD824A x2 - 2400@2933 no xmp profile spd settings, perfectly work in 1,2 Volt.  It is still dampish Agesa.
Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming = Taichi (Lite)

Edited by Prodif - 19 Apr 2017 at 12:33pm
ASRock x370 Taichi (bios v2.36) / Ryzen-1800X / Crucial CT16G4DFD824A x2 / GPU: AMD R9 NANO / SSD NVMe Samsung 960 PRO MZ-V6P1T0BW (M.2) / HDD SATA 3TB x6 / PSU: Corsair AX860i
ps. RedDragon, by AG
Conraire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conraire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Prodif Prodif wrote:

Conraire
RAM Crucial CT16G4DFD824A x2 - 2400@2933 no xmp profile spd settings, perfectly work in 1,2 Volt.  It is still dampish Agesa.
Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming = Taichi (Lite)

Think you're saying that the Taichi is the Lite version of the Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming.  Which would make sense, seeing as the only real feature difference between the two is the 5Gb Lan on the Fatal1ty pro. 

You got real lucky on your memory OC there.  Wish I could say the same for mine Lol.
Prodif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prodif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 5:55pm
Conraire
5gbit for the house a thing useless. Not speed of the channel, but latency is important for games. And Internet speeds more 1gbit are necessary for data stores and servers, and for them the optics but not copper is necessary.
See attentively at pcb Taichi, and you perhaps will understand that it the same.
If you just fell a victim of marketing, don't hesitate to admit. Smile

Edited by Prodif - 19 Apr 2017 at 5:58pm
ASRock x370 Taichi (bios v2.36) / Ryzen-1800X / Crucial CT16G4DFD824A x2 / GPU: AMD R9 NANO / SSD NVMe Samsung 960 PRO MZ-V6P1T0BW (M.2) / HDD SATA 3TB x6 / PSU: Corsair AX860i
ps. RedDragon, by AG
cutterjohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutterjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Conraire Conraire wrote:

The biggest issue I see is all current bios are forcing ram to 1T command rate, which is 90% of the RAM not working at rated speed problem, the other 10% is pushing the Infinite Fabric of Ryzen past its max non OC speed of 2667, which can vary from processor to processor.  Most current DDR4 XMP profiles are for 2T command Rate.  Which obviously won't work, unless you have really high end RAM, if the board bios and memory controller are forcing 1T command rate. 

So when it comes down to it, I'm patiently waiting for ASRock and AMD to step up their game when it comes to BIOS and microcode updates.  Hoping that someone decides to allow users to set 2t command rate in the bios. 
I think that ASROCK(or maybe the agesa) is 'guessing' as up until the 2.00 BIOS my RAM was showing up under hwinfo, cpuz, and aida64 as running at 1T which it was stably doing so at 2667(3200 rated/labelled).

AFTER updating to 2.00(from 1.93D) they ALL now SHOW the RAM 2x16GB RAM running at 2T which I believe is their official rating, at least at 3200.  HOWEVER I CANNOT get them above 2400 now and have run into all sorts of problems when trying to get them back to at least 2667 or higher(see prior posts).

Earlier AMD systems: yeah, I've NEVER had RAM problems like these with earlier AMD systems and I've had the mix of AMD/Intel since the 90s depending upon who had the BEST product at the time.  As honestly I only built my APU system to see if it was worth investigating and the 9590 just because I missed the old days when AMD could design competitive CPUs.

They're competing again now, but I'm no fanboi so it's still who has the best competitive product at the best pricepoint which is where AMD is sitting right now, although I AM THOROUGHLY disaapointed w/the paucity of PCIe lanes, dual channel memory, and the chipsets.  AMD NEEDS to rethink that and release HPDT Naples based parts.  I even think that IF the Ryzen 7s are going to be high mainstream that 8 and maybe even the 6c could do w/quad channel memory as well.  I still haven't trully stressed workloads yet but I suspect that it will eventually memory bandwidth cottleneck trying to keep all 8c/16t fed, but I could be incorrect and it might be a marginal case.  After all JK supposedly got them back to simulating the crap out of designs which presumably would include memory interface/perf per core/thread.

From the limited workloads I've tested I'm happy so far and it IS an upgrade from the i7-3930k that it's replacing in pretty much all respects barring memory bandwidth, chipset, and PCIe lanes which are unfortunately all severe downgrades.
JohnV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by JohnV JohnV wrote:

1. Your system's specs.  - R7 1700@stock(for now), 16gb Geil Evo Forza DDR4@3200, mydigital BPX M.2,  Mushkin Reactor SSD, XFX RX480 GTR, Masterliquid 240 aio.

2. The BIOS version that was installed before updating to 2.0. - 1.50(original)

3. Update method (BIOS/DOS/WINDOWS). - DOS

4. Your experience so far with the new BIOS.  - Had an issue with my M.2 drive vanishing (not being detected in the bios, by the system at all) after rebooting,  which hasn't happened since updating to 2.0Smile
I haven't had a lot of free time to dig into the settings(or work on overclocking) but I've had no other issues since the build.  XMP settings, with my memory, just worked (as they should)Clap.

Do you know which SATA port number you are using? The AMD SATA ports start at the top of the "stack" of SATA ports, as the board is seen mounted in a standard PC case. The top two SATA ports would be ports 1 and 2.

I ask because some users of the X370 Taichi board have had issues with some SSDs used in the first two SATA ports, 1 and 2. This seems to happen with certain SSDs, the Mushkin Reactor being one of the possibly problematic SSDs. They are not seen by the board or Windows intermittently. Curious if you have that problem, apparently not.

Next, the XMP profile of your Geil EVO Forza memory works? At 3200? Sorry to ask, because an XMP profile designed for Intel systems (your memory's spec say Intel X99 and Z170) that works on a Ryzen system is amazing. Can you show us a CPU-Z Memory tab picture of your memory speed and timing settings?

Parsec, I'm using port 6 for the Mushkin SSD, My case has a cutout right next to the port, I figured no sense running the cable up under the video card to port 1. No issues though.

And yes, had no issue just setting the xmp in the bios and it worked fine. I think i have the CPU-Z image link correct:

Edited by JohnV - 19 Apr 2017 at 10:00pm
Conraire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conraire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Prodif Prodif wrote:

Conraire
5gbit for the house a thing useless. Not speed of the channel, but latency is important for games. And Internet speeds more 1gbit are necessary for data stores and servers, and for them the optics but not copper is necessary.
See attentively at pcb Taichi, and you perhaps will understand that it the same.
If you just fell a victim of marketing, don't hesitate to admit. Smile

ClapRight then, I don't think we're even on the same page about what boards we're talking about.  Though it's possible you're from a region where the board I have isn't available.  http://www.asrock.com.tw/mb/compare.asp%3FModels=X370%20Taichi,Fatal1ty%20X370%20Professional%20Gaming

Now if you're saying the 5gb lan is useless for a home user, I guess maybe you don't have a capable router, and don't often have the need to transfer large files between computers.  I do since when fixing PC's I sometimes need to back up peoples hdd's to prevent data loss.  The more bandwidth Lan ports get when it comes to that, the less time I have to spend waiting for files to transfer. 

While memory latency is mildly important for games, it's pretty much not going to effect your FPS much. 

Now, Saying that the RAM Speed with Ryzen doesn't effect gaming as much as latency, is blatant misinformation.  As the RAM speed is directly linked to the infinite fabric speed, which is the interconnect between the two CCX modules of current Ryzen CPU's.  The higher the speed of that interconnect, the lower the latency between CCX modules.   Which if you pay attention to most Ryzen CPU reviews out there, increases fps performance in games, the higher you clock your RAM.

The Phenom series had a similar issue, since the L3 cache speed and latency was linked to the Memory controller and north bridge clock speed.   In that case the closer you pushed the north bridge/memory controller speed to core speed the lower L3 latency you had, along with improved memory bandwidth.  Thankfully back then those weren't directly linked to RAM speed.  I discovered that way back when the 9600be first came out.

As far as the board the topic is about goes, does anyone know if ASRock plans on releasing a new beta bios soon, or updated stable bios?  Or are they waiting for AMD to update agesa code again, which is suppose to happen in May?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by cutterjohn cutterjohn wrote:

AFTER updating to 2.00(from 1.93D) they ALL now SHOW the RAM 2x16GB RAM running at 2T which I believe is their official rating, at least at 3200.

i just checked my system with cpuz
and on the taichi using latest bios v2
its still showing command rate 1T here
we all seem to be living in hope of agesa 1005 and the promised ram issues having some 'love'
fortunately ive managed to keep my 3200 speeds with 16/15/15/35 though (gskill tridentz 3200-15/15/15/
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Prodif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prodif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 11:36pm
Conraire
Unfortunately we speak different languages. About latency time delays of a network, ping meant, no RAM.
Further about 5gbit.) 5000/8 = ~600mb/s - speed SSD NVMe only, or RAID HDD. Wink

Look attentively

Edited by Prodif - 19 Apr 2017 at 11:45pm
ps. RedDragon, by AG
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
  Share Topic